I think I can.

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! "PSA" Mountain Lion spotted Cheyenne Canyon

I spotted a full grown lion today at the top of High Drive where Buckhorn comes out and Captain Jacks starts. He was on the road as I came down off of Buckhorn or 667, he spotted me and ran down High Drive towards Gold Camp and dropped into the forest South of High Drive.
    Amazing sight to say the least, my only concern is there was a single lady right in front of me by no more than a couple minutes riding single, if she went down East on High Drive that was the direction he was heading when he saw me.
    For those who are wondering, I was too shocked to pull out the camera, but the picture is fairly close to what I saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    That is pretty cool Joe! Glad he went the other way, as that is the only way i would want to see one!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Shattering Glass
    Sssweet

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Joe-

I think you're smart enough to realize that they are always there, you just happened to see one.

I think I can.

Hah, you called me smart

Knowing there up there and actually seeing one are two different subjects. I have seen tracks in the Mount Herman area for years and am always aware of that fact but man what a sight, he was a big boy who came out in the open for a specific reason and it wasn't for the sun would be my guess.
    If he is being that brave to enter an area with a high level of human interaction then my first thought is he was looking for food, not saying human but something.

I know this topic comes up on a semi regular basis but thought I would just let people know to be a little more aware of the area for the time being.

Have a fine day.

Quote Originally Posted by McStank
    Joe-

I think you're smart enough to realize that they are always there, you just happened to see one.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Candlestick Maker
    Neat! I don't think much about mountain lions, except when I'm solo night riding and my paranoia gets the better of me.
    baker

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Neat! I don't think much about mountain lions, except when I'm solo night riding and my paranoia gets the better of me.
    Maybe you should be riding with more people then (just sayin' ). I've got my lights dialed and am up for regular night rides. Palmer Park was stellar last night under the falling snow.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I was more scared of the ice on CJ's than the lion

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    Knowing there up there and actually seeing one are two different subjects. I have seen tracks in the Mount Herman area for years and am always aware of that fact but man what a sight, he was a big boy who came out in the open for a specific reason and it wasn't for the sun would be my guess.
    If he is being that brave to enter an area with a high level of human interaction then my first thought is he was looking for food, not saying human but something.

I know this topic comes up on a semi regular basis but thought I would just let people know to be a little more aware of the area for the time being.

Have a fine day.
    Yes, you are correct... knowing they're up there and actually seeing one are two different things. Perhaps I was a bit lavish in my assumption of your level of smartness(JFWY) I, myself, am not that smart, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, which entitles me to offer internetz conjecture. I think your PSA does serve a purpose, hopefully it will keep the immigrants away from the area and minimize the amount of future trail users for said area.

Mountain lions do move during the day, but to see one on High Dr. must have been a bit startling. FYI, if you want to increase your chances of seeing them on your next ride(Canyon, AFA, Mt Herman) bust out your peeping toms and scan higher up in the trees, and you may see more of them.

I am sure you made a few Californians feel anxious with this sighting... wait a minute... aren't you from California? Now I see the reason for your post.

Have a doubly fine day, yourself.
    Last edited by McStank; 01-28-2010 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I was more scared of the ice on CJ's than the lion
    I would be scared if I saw Ice on CJ's too.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I saw this mountain lion at Hall Ranch yesterday. He was very scary.

Big Boned
    There have been two dogs killed by a lion here in CCC in the past few weeks, one in Lawson and the other in Empire. The lion attacked with people very nearby -- they were just taking their dogs out for a walk early in the morning. Not sure if it's the same cat that got both dogs, but it makes sense -- it seems to have lost its fear of humans, or it's sick/hungry/desperate and unable to hunt its usual prey.

Both dogs were pit bulls. Somewhat disconcerting.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Lots of cats in the area . . .

Funny thing--I grew up in a very rural part of the mountains west of the Springs between Cripple Creek and Florissant. Saw coyote, deer, elk, bighorn, black bear and bobcat on a regular basis--even saw a wolf once though there weren't supposed to be there (according to the local game ranger)--never saw a lion (they're shy, reclusive and very stealthy).

Fast forward a few years--left Colorado for a decade or so--when I moved back, I moved into the Springs--specifically north of the Broadmoor close to Bear Creek Reigonal Park. About a week after moving in, we were driving to a friends house for dinner after dark. About three blocks from the house, still in a well settled (since th early 70s) residential area, there was the biggest darn lion you could imagine. Needless to say, I didn't let the kids out after dark. In fact, they had to be called in from recess ad Gold Camp Elementary more than once due to a daytime cat sighing in the area.

In that same time frame, the local Cheyenne Mountain weekly newspaper printed a photo a nearby resident took of a lion eating a deer in his back yard! The cat didn't seem to be concerned when the guy sat on his deck snapping shots.

Yeah, they're out there--more than you might think. Makes sense since the whole neighborhood is overrun with deer (they don't wander in from time to time--they live there 24/7!).

Having said that, I never heard of a confrontation. Still, those solo rides up canyon felt a little sporty at times!
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

not actually bad :)
    Since I know everyone on this forum loves a mtn lion story.
    From another forum I look at sometimes:

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...281076#p281076

"My partner and I were backcountry skiing last night up on Jones Pass and had a CRAZY mountain lion encounter. I'm still high on the adrenaline. We were about 3 miles in and getting ready to ski out. I sat down on the ground to take my skins off of my skis. I heard my partner say my name and then say, "I think we're about to have our cat encounter." He saw the eyes before I did. I was still on the ground when kitty came running towards us. Lee started yelling at the cat and all I could say was "keep him off of me!" Finally I got my ski off and was able to get up off of the ground. My partner and I yelled at the lion. He ducked off into the woods and then charged us. He was hunched low to the ground like a kitty ready to POUNCE. We yelled more, waved the skis and ran towards it aggressively. We scared him back into the woods. He came back again, this time faster. Lee and I yelled soooo loud and scared him off. This lion was not backing down. Juvenile lions are known to display this kind of erratic behavior but I didn't think an adult would. He was big! I'm so glad my partner and I knew what to do and neither one of us panicked. We were ready for the fight of our lives. The ski out was unnerving but exciting. I didnít sleep much last night. I'm really excited, intrigued by its behavior and feeling extremely lucky. Oh, the skiing was good too!!! Keep your eyes peeled if you go up there. Thereís a crazy kitty in those woods!

The behavior he displayed lines up pretty good with the information on this site. SOOOO very lucky!

http://www.sdgfp.info/wildlife/mountainlions/Language.htm"
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Jones Pass is close enough to Empire that maybe the lion that got the dogs there and in Lawson is the same one that bothered the skiers.

El gato es loco en la cabeza, no?