Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Too Close To The Hill
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    197

    Idea! PSA: Don't bike UP the DH trails please!

    Was rather shocked to see uphill traffic on Money (black DH trail at Keystone). I politely informed the well outfitted XCer that doing so was a good way to die and take someone out too because nobody would be expecting uphill traffic while midair or in the berms because uphill was prohibited. I was ignored to say the least.

    Don't get yourself and others hurt or killed. Don't get bikes messed up. Don't go up the lift-served DH!

    Lift-served single track is officially closed to uphill during lift hours for the safety and enjoyment of all.
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

  2. #2
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,600
    Holy $hit are some people stupid...

  3. #3
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Need better signage. We had the same issue at WP this weekend.
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  4. #4
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Holy $hit are some people stupid...
    Common Sense isn't taught in school anymore

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    I was all set to bring out the flame gun for giving in to the yahoos, but in this case, you're absolutely right!! And in this case, the XC rider going uphill is the slack-jawed, mouth breathing idiot.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    790
    Yeah...that is just plain common sense...or at the most, extremely minimal knowledge. I can't imagine coming down any of the lift served resorts only to see someone biking up.

    Nice work still keeping your head up on those trails! That could've been really, really bad.

  7. #7
    Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Reputation: jasonvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    996
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

  8. #8
    Alaskan in exile.
    Reputation: nanook93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Common Sense isn't taught by most parents anymore
    Fixed it for you.
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    463
    Did he yell "STRAVA?"

  10. #10
    Shread Ready
    Reputation: Thrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,064
    Yeah, that is sketch. Especially on Money! I freaked out two hikers today right before the bridge on Sanitarium and then their were 4 other family members right by the corkscrew. Not sure if that's allowed?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    113
    its not allowed, i saw some hikers too, asked at the bottom then heckled on the lift ride up. riiiiight.

  12. #12
    post-ride specialist
    Reputation: icegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Common Sense isn't taught in school anymore
    they couldn't figure out a way to test for it in multiple-guess format
    Since when did Need have anything to do with this?

  13. #13
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,984
    It must be the heat. Normally there's only one guy who'd ride up a dh trail, and he's been too busy taking booty shots these days...
    I did try to dissuade a family from hiking up the middle of Goldrush at the Golden Bike Park. They looked at me like I was insulting their intelligence. Come to think of it, I probably was...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  14. #14
    Shread Ready
    Reputation: Thrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by wisbike View Post
    its not allowed, i saw some hikers too, asked at the bottom then heckled on the lift ride up. riiiiight.

    Ok, that's what I thought. The first two older hikers practically had to jump out of the way on the start of the bridge. I thought I remember reading on the trail map that bikers must yield to all hikers. I was thinking is this for the DH trails? Then being in the usual local trails mentality I was all excuse me/sorry. Bad Hikers!

    But I guess I put on a show for the guy and his kid since he was all mr corkscrew man.. Good job. Not that it's difficult or anything.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    585
    There is one section over in that area where you have to ride uphill on the trail (jackstraw/money area) to access a climb that goes up to the Ida Bell mine. Not saying that that is OK, but I've done it, it's only for a few hundred feet and I'm super aware to stay out of the way of DHers. We've been riding that road/trail since before the ski area opened for mtbing and it sucks, but it's the only way up over there that I've found besides riding to the top and back down.

    Maybe that's what these people were doing. I can't imagine riding UP Money.

  16. #16
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,503
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Holy $hit are some people stupid...
    Nothin' new. Great book The Marching Morons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: frickinGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    It was just as bad at trestle this weekend. some xc guys went down boot camp only to realize you have to take Beall down. they saw the first drop and rode back up boot camp. i would freak if i saw those guys coming up. also some xc rider was sliding on his ass down the drop after the rainbow bridge on Beall. I waited for him to clear but some guy tried to bypass me at the start to drop in. good thing i stopped him cuz he would've landed on top of that guy. there's signage at the entrance to warn riders that it's an expert only exit off boot camp. sheesh.

  18. #18
    Awesomist™
    Reputation: Full Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,523
    Oh Keystone...

    Back in 2001, I did my first DH race at Keystone resort. This was back before they had very many trails, and the DH course was 15+ minutes long for many sport/beginner level amateurs. I was barreling down the last straight before very last left-hander that brings you into the gondo area, and I look up to see some guy CLIMBING up the DH course! Keep in mind... this is the LAST STRAIGHTAWAY into the finish line... there's a HUGE finish line structure, music playing, people gathered around, you know... A FRIKKEN RACE GOING ON...

    ...and here this guy is obliviously pedaling up the DH course, not a care in the world.

    There are people yelling at him from below, the announcer is saying "hey buddy, what are you doing?" and then there's me... full-face helmet, moto roost guard, full-wrap EVS shin guards, mismatched cotton jersey and DH shorts combo... caning my beloved Schwinn 4-banger for all she's got, 15 minutes deep into anaerobic death by Logger's Way and screaming holy sh!t fvcking bloody murder at this guy. He barely stops and moves in time for me to not level him flat, and as I pass he's got this bewildered look on his face of "What did I do wrong? I thought uphill traffic has the right of way?" And all I can think is...

    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Holy $hit are some people stupid...
    The older I get, the faster I was.





    Punch it, Chewie.

  19. #19
    post-ride specialist
    Reputation: icegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,013
    oh my god, ... a mismatched jersey? say it ain't so
    Since when did Need have anything to do with this?

  20. #20
    Shread Ready
    Reputation: Thrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,064
    Aww man that's a funny story Full Trucker! The visual of this doofus riding up oblivious to anything happening.

  21. #21
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Oh Keystone...

    Back in 2001, I did my first DH race at Keystone resort. This was back before they had very many trails, and the DH course was 15+ minutes long for many sport/beginner level amateurs. I was barreling down the last straight before very last left-hander that brings you into the gondo area, and I look up to see some guy CLIMBING up the DH course! Keep in mind... this is the LAST STRAIGHTAWAY into the finish line... there's a HUGE finish line structure, music playing, people gathered around, you know... A FRIKKEN RACE GOING ON...

    ...and here this guy is obliviously pedaling up the DH course, not a care in the world.

    There are people yelling at him from below, the announcer is saying "hey buddy, what are you doing?" and then there's me... full-face helmet, moto roost guard, full-wrap EVS shin guards, mismatched cotton jersey and DH shorts combo... caning my beloved Schwinn 4-banger for all she's got, 15 minutes deep into anaerobic death by Logger's Way and screaming holy sh!t fvcking bloody murder at this guy. He barely stops and moves in time for me to not level him flat, and as I pass he's got this bewildered look on his face of "What did I do wrong? I thought uphill traffic has the right of way?" And all I can think is...
    Must spread rep...

  22. #22
    Goofing off?
    Reputation: Intenserider2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    I thought these guys only liked fire roads?

  23. #23
    Too Close To The Hill
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    197
    Full Trucker that is hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    There is one section over in that area where you have to ride uphill on the trail (jackstraw/money area) to access a climb that goes up to the Ida Bell mine. Not saying that that is OK, but I've done it, it's only for a few hundred feet and I'm super aware to stay out of the way of DHers. We've been riding that road/trail since before the ski area opened for mtbing and it sucks, but it's the only way up over there that I've found besides riding to the top and back down.

    Maybe that's what these people were doing. I can't imagine riding UP Money.
    I was wondering the same thing having hiked to Ide Belle. Maybe he got lost?
    Last edited by SummitAP; 06-28-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

  24. #24
    Free your heel...
    Reputation: hopsalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    299
    Why on gods green earth would someone choose to climb Keystone or Winter Park (or any mountain) when there is a perfectly good bike haul right there?

  25. #25
    Awesomist™
    Reputation: Full Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
    why on gods green earth would someone choose to climb keystone or winter park (or any mountain) when there is a perfectly good bike haul right there?
    for tha lulz.
    The older I get, the faster I was.





    Punch it, Chewie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •