pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

PSA: Be careful out there

This is that classic tale of riding that stretch of trail/road that you've done dozens of times and knowing "it could never happen to me".

Just a reminder to everyone to ride safe and smart. I took a fall today that ended in some nasty road rash, but could have been far, far worse. Rode over Maxwell, took a left (south) on the pavement (CR23) on the way to Blue Sky. Coming down the steep hill toward the middle damn (above Stadium Drive), wind at my back, and, for some stupid reason, not tapping my brakes. Came into the S turn too fast (~42 mph according to my buddy who was just behind me). Made the first part of the S turn. Started to swing out for the rest of the S turn that ends with the straight away over the damn. At this point my brain just vapor locked. Over shot the turn. Locked the brakes about 20 feet before the guard rail. Fell on my side when I hit the gravel shoulder about 6 feet before the guard rail. I somehow hit the ~6 ft gap between the wood posts that support the rail just right (a hole in one, as my riding buddy put it). My rear wheel took the brunt of the impact, slamming into a wood support post. I ended up sliding beneath the rail and stopped just on the other side. My helmet grazed the bottom of the metal rail. I hate to dwell on how much worse this could have been, but serious head injury and/or broken back come to mind.

I got extremely lucky with only a crushed rear wheel, scraped bar end, torn clothes, and nasty road rash on leg and elbow.

Be safe out there everyone, and maybe take it a little slower than you think you need to.

P.S. Anyone know where I can get this wheel trued?

PSA: Be careful out there-img_1112.jpg
    Last edited by jradin; 11-26-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Ouch, glad you came out of it more or less ok.

Try some Tegaderm on that road rash. Used it on my last crash at Valmont bike park for some nasty rash on my arm. took it off one week later fully healed. stuff is awesome.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    Ouch, glad you came out of it more or less ok.

Try some Tegaderm on that road rash. Used it on my last crash at Valmont bike park for some nasty rash on my arm. took it off one week later fully healed. stuff is awesome.
    Thanks for the Tegaderm tip - had actually meant to ask for road rash treatment advice in my post. Is that something you can get at the drug store?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Competently understand about the crash on a section one has ridden countess times. Several years ago I was riding with a buddy of mine on a section of access trail we had ridden literally hundreds of times. We were less than a 100 yards from the car already thinking about getting back to work when he catches his handlebar on a branch. Throws him off his bike and shatters his hip. Nasty crash on the most inconspicuous section of trail.

That day taught me a valuable lesson about focusing on the ride all the way to the end.

Heal quick, ride safe!
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Little JB Weld will fix that wheel right up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    want to buy my Hope 2 / Arch wheel set?

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Looks like a good excuse to buy more bike gear to me.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Tegaderm can be found at local ER's & hospitals, and usually Walgreens. most pharmacies I've checked don't have it. It's cheapest online though, however you need to pre-plan that.

we stock "Whitey's Crash and Burn" kit at the shop. It's got 2 pieces in it, plus some other stuff.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Kaj-
    Thanks, going to pick up some Tegaderm from City Drug in FC in a bit. Sounds like great stuff.

Camo-
    Thanks for the offer on the wheels. Dave at RS is hooking me up with a great deal, labor included. I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my wheels, but this isn't quite the event I had in mind!

Hokey-
    An occasional reminder of how a milisecond of inattention can lead to painful, even life altering, crashes is a good thing. There are old crash posts on these boards (i.e. WKDs nose job) that have stuck with me and probably made me a safer rider (today's mishap not withstanding).

MCS-
    Yep, three layers of clothing up top plus a pair of tights ripped to shreds. Just in time for the holidays!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Kaj-
    Thanks, going to pick up some Tegaderm from City Drug in FC in a bit. Sounds like great stuff.

Camo-
    Thanks for the offer on the wheels. Dave at RS is hooking me up with a great deal, labor included. I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my wheels, but this isn't quite the event I had in mind!

xcguy-
    Thanks for those links. They were very helpful.

Hokey-
    An occasional reminder of how a milisecond of inattention can lead to painful, even life altering, crashes is a good thing. There are old crash posts on these boards (i.e. WKDs nose job) that have stuck with me and probably made me a safer rider (today's mishap not withstanding).

MCS-
    Yep, three layers of clothing up top plus a pair of tights ripped to shreds. Just in time for the holidays!
    Fixed it for ya.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Little JB Weld will fix that wheel right up.
    lulz^

panic will almost always cause a crash