GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

PSA - Bear on Apex EF Mon 7/22/13 @ 6am

Just a PSA, our good buddy went on an early AM ride today and saw a decent sized bear on EF.

It got his attention for sure as it would any of us. He was up on the top of the second/root climb section and the bear was heading down the trail with its back to him. He stayed still for a few minutes until it disappeared and then decided to turn around and go back up EF and back around and down the main Apex trail since he couldn't tell where it had disappeared to. On the way down he told every other hiker/biker about the incident just so they'd have a heads up.

With the other two recent sitings in Arvada, this is interesting. Our group of guys rides a lot and early too. Personally I have ridden a lot on that trail early AM's for over 15 years and never sighted a bear etc. (Though I have at other parks...A3S etc.)

Also, we did contact JCOS and reported it just so they can keep a record.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    There's Bear, Bobcat, mountain lion and a few other critters all around Apex. Saw a cat in EF last year around that same spot.

A buddy of ours was one of the folks he saw and warned. Tell him thanks.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

PSA - Bear on Apex EF Mon 7/22/13 @ 6am

Will do and between the two I'd rather the bear.

In almost 20 years of riding and even with a fair amount of backcountry camping as well...I've never seen a cat. That's not to say though that they haven't seen me which is an unsettling notion.

The only guy in our group to see a cat was at Lair down by the creek across from the castle...maybe 7 years ago.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    Bobcats are all over Apex and all over the neighborhood below. WKD has some good pics. I've not seen a mountain lion yet, but many have. Saw a mountain lion at Hall some many years ago. Solo on an early morning ride. Scared the bejeebus outta me. The bear your buddy saw had it's back to him because it was running away. Unless they're protecting their cubs or you back them into a corner, they don't want anything to do with you. Bobcats are similar. Lions, however? No, thank you.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How often do people see mountain lions at Apex? I've been riding there pretty consistently at sunrise before work and haven't seen one yet. It's always on my mind though. Maybe get a 6am group ride going....safety in numbers or something like that?

I dream on two wheels
    I've seen two, at the same time, chasing a baby elk.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    I've seen a bear in the wild 3 different times and each time, it ran away as soon as it saw me. Last time was on Indian Creek trail near Waterton.

I have only seen a mountain lion once, and it was on the CO trail, also at Waterton, right by the dam. It strolled through the woods about 30 yards from my brother and me. Completely fearless, he obviously new we were there long before we noticed him. His belly looked full. I guess he wasn't hungry.

mtbr member
    I have been riding Apex semi-regularly (more than once a week) for a few years and had never seen one until last fall (though I've seen one at Hall before). It was in Enchanted- it was early am and kinda dawn-ish so what I saw was more of a shadow (hmmm- the one at Hall was early AM, too...). But it was a shadow that had a long tail and moved like silk. Shapeshifter, maybe, but pretty sure it was a big cat.

What I've seen MUCH more, is their handywork. Especially late fall and through the winter- there are often pieces of animals on the trail. As I understand it, Cat's don't typical leave pieces of their kill around, but the coyotes sneak in as soon as the cat is done and pull the remains of the carcass apart.

Good stuff.

If you want to read some crazy isht, check this out: Mountain Lion Attacks from 2011 to Now

Those are 2011-current, but you can go back 2-3 decades with the links at the top of the page.