Oh, So Interesting!

PSA: Bad Batch? Specialized Butcher SX...

I picked up a Butcher 2.3 SX tire last month, and I believe the rubber durometer is WAY off... the side knobs are soft... soft like Maxxis 40a slow rezay. I'm running it on the back of my Trek Remedy, I have about 35 miles on it, and the tire is wearing CRAZY FAST

I also have Butchers on my DH bike, 2.3s with the DH casing. The DH version has noticeably harder rubber just squeezing it bay hand, and it's supposed to be 42a (70 base) while the SX is supposed to be 45/50. The DH version rolls a lot faster and wears a lot slower.

I brought the SX tire back to a local spec dealer and they refused to take it back. From what I know, this violates Specialized return policy, they allow returns if you're not satisfied with the product. They sold me another tire at cost, but now I have an overly soft Butcher that's almost useless and I spent more money that I shouldn't have had to.

Pissed at Specialized and my local dealer at this point...

edit: corrected details
    Last edited by davec113; 03-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

HAHA PWN
    Try contacting Spec directly? From what I hear, their CS isn't that bad.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Last time I was at a spec dealer they had a sam hill signature butcher that was super soft. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a mis stamped tire. Seems unlikely, but I was told at a spec dealer that they've seen 2.3 tires stamped as 2.5's so I wouldn't be too surprised if a super soft compound found it's way onto an sx casing, or they simply stamped sx on a sam hill signature tire? At any rate, I would think they would give you the tire you wanted as long as you turn in the tire you bought.

Like you stated, their policy is to allow exchanges if you aren't happy. I'll def pay attention to compound next time I buy a butcher.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Last time I was at a spec dealer they had a sam hill signature butcher that was super soft. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a mis stamped tire. Seems unlikely, but I was told at a spec dealer that they've seen 2.3 tires stamped as 2.5's so I wouldn't be too surprised if a super soft compound found it's way onto an sx casing, or they simply stamped sx on a sam hill signature tire? At any rate, I would think they would give you the tire you wanted as long as you turn in the tire you bought.

Like you stated, their policy is to allow exchanges if you aren't happy. I'll def pay attention to compound next time I buy a butcher.
    Yeah, I have the Sam Hill Butcher 2.3s on my DH bike and the SX casing Butchers are much softer and slower rolling.

I had a Spec. engineer pm me on another site and (as the shop told me as well) the dh version has a 70 duro baselayer that keeps the knobs from folding over which makes it last longer and roll faster. It still doesn't make sense to me that the lighter version has much softer rubber... despite the explanation I feel the 45 duro rubber in the SX is softer than the 42 on the dh tire.

Anyway, it's not a bad batch, the SX is just the wrong tire for a trail bike.

Anyone looking for a light weight dh tire with the equivalent of Maxxis 40a slow rezay side knobs and super tacky middle knobs will love the Butcher SX. Just don't expect it to last more than a few days of dh when used on the rear end.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Yeah, I have the Sam Hill Butcher 2.3s on my DH bike and the SX casing Butchers are much softer and slower rolling.

I had a Spec. engineer pm me on another site and (as the shop told me as well) the dh version has a 70 duro baselayer that keeps the knobs from folding over which makes it last longer and roll faster. It still doesn't make sense to me that the lighter version has much softer rubber... despite the explanation I feel the 45 duro rubber in the SX is softer than the 42 on the dh tire.

Anyway, it's not a bad batch, the SX is just the wrong tire for a trail bike.

Anyone looking for a light weight dh tire with the equivalent of Maxxis 40a slow rezay side knobs and super tacky middle knobs will love the Butcher SX. Just don't expect it to last more than a few days of dh when used on the rear end.
    Agreed, sx compound is too soft for CO, especially in the rear. That is odd the lighter version would be softer? I'm pretty sure there are two DH versions now, one being the DH tire you described, the other being a Sam Hill signature version that's softer. If I remember correctly, it had world cup stripes on it.

I love the sx casing so much I'm willing to burn through them faster than other tires. I run the rear until it's a semi slick, so I get ok life out of them. I do wish the side lugs offered more support, sounds like the DH is better in that regard. Soft rubber roles slow too which sucks for xc, but SX casing is the only non DH casing that's been reliable for me, so I accept the short life span, and added rolling resistance.

If maxxis would give us a good mid weight casing I would go with that, but EXO is no SX.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Agreed, sx compound is too soft for CO, especially in the rear. That is odd the lighter version would be softer? I'm pretty sure there are two DH versions now, one being the DH tire you described, the other being a Sam Hill signature version that's softer. If I remember correctly, it had world cup stripes on it.

I love the sx casing so much I'm willing to burn through them faster than other tires. I run the rear until it's a semi slick, so I get ok life out of them. I do wish the side lugs offered more support, sounds like the DH is better in that regard. Soft rubber roles slow too which sucks for xc, but SX casing is the only non DH casing that's been reliable for me, so I accept the short life span, and added rolling resistance.

If maxxis would give us a good mid weight casing I would go with that, but EXO is no SX.
    The Sam Hill tire is the same as the regular Butcher dh tire, just has his signature and the stripes. FWIW the Butcher dh is the best tire I've ever used, a decent improvement over the DHF, IMO... Maxxis is also more expensive.

The spec engineer recommended the grid casing tires as an alternative to SX, the casings are very similar. I will go with either the Purgatory 2.2 or Ground Control 2.3 in Grid casing for a rear tire. These should offer the durability of the SX casing with rubber that's better suited for trail use.

The SX tires will be improved, hopefully they will use the 70a base layer construction of the dh tire. Given the choice of SX or DH casings, I'd rather run the dh tire, even on my trail bike because it's faster rolling and the side knobs offer better support.

banned
    moar dramasz, plz

clicked on tha thread for tha faceplams and it did not disappoint

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I see. The sales rep I spoke with told me the signature butcher was softer than the standard, he probably didn't know what he was talking about.

I'll have to check out the grid casing. I'm not familiar.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Pulled from Specialized Bicycle Components : FAQ
    Is there a satisfaction guarantee on Specialized tires?
    Last Updated: Oct 07, 2011 10:28PM PDT
    Yes, we have a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for our tires.

We are so confident in the performance of our tires that we are now providing an unconditional satisfaction guarantee on every tire we make for 90 days from the original date of the tire's purchase.

If for any reason, you are not satisfied with any Specialized tire, just return it to the store you purchased it from with a proof of purchase, and they will exchange it for another Specialized tire of equivalent value.

If you have purchased your tires from the Specialized online store and are in the USA, send an email to store_customerservice@specialized.com or call us at (877) 808-8154 and we will take care of your issue.

If you are outside of the USA, you need to contact the Specialized distributor/customer service rep. in your region. You can find their contact information here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

friend of Apex
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Oh, So Interesting!
    After talking to a Spec tire engineer I got a Ground Control Grid 2.3 for a rear tire and I'm VERY happy with it. I'm lazy so here's a copy and paste of my impressions of the GC grid. Thanks to U Bikes for hooking me up!

I got in one ride in with the Ground Control Grid 2.3 as my rear tire. The GC Grid is probably the fastest rolling tire I've ever used. We had hero dirt yesterday, and it felt like the GC railed very well and the sidekobs feel very solid, I noticed they have a large base-area supporting them so they aren't flexing too much or folding over. When they did break traction it felt predictable. I'll have to see how they do when it dries out and things get dusty... Also, climbing and braking traction seemed really good, they felt solid when climbing out of the saddle. On the low-angle parts of the trail, I felt like I was going a good bit faster than normal in places because the tire rolls so fast... it maintains momentum through parts of trail that are flat but you can't pedal through and accelerates out of corners fast. It also seems like the sidewalls will be beefy enough to last. So far, it seems like an ideal rear tire for my trailbike.

Follow-up:

So I have a few rides on the GC grid, and I'm surprised how good this tire is. It's def more drifty in loose and dry conditions, but so is everything... a few trails around here have some slippery decomposing rock/sand in the corners and the GC breaks traction very predictably, feels nice and safe. I'm also surprised by the climbing traction, it does really well there too... I was a bit skeptical because it really doesn't look like it's going to perform as well as it does... it doesn't look like it's a fast rolling tire and it has a lot more grip than you'd guess from looking at the low profile knobs.

Anyway, the GC is by far the best rear tire for trail use I've ever tried, given my personal preferences. I've tried other tires that have a bit more overall grip and many, many others that are lighter but not durable enough... for a trail tire extra grip isn't worth a LOT more rolling resistance. I'm not sure I'd try using the GC as a front tire, but I'll give the Butcher Control a go on the front after my Conti TK wears out, it has softer rubber and seems like it might be more suitable as a front tire where I value grip and predictability more than rolling resistance.

Thread Terrorist
    Every thought of buying a tire from a tire company? LOL.

I do love the Specialized tire tread patterns, but I wish they'd make it with the same predictability as Maxxis does. Their 3C stuff is really nice.

Continentals are getting better as well.

But I do love those Spec patterns. And they sound awesome on hardpack dirt!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    Every thought of buying a tire from a tire company? LOL.

I do love the Specialized tire tread patterns, but I wish they'd make it with the same predictability as Maxxis does. Their 3C stuff is really nice.

Continentals are getting better as well.

But I do love those Spec patterns. And they sound awesome on hardpack dirt!
    Maxxis and Schwalbe are too expensive... Highroller UST is over $80, DHF 3C is over $90. Schwalbe's pricing is similar.

The GC Grid 2.3 is $60 and kicks the HR LUST 2.35's butt in every way.

The Butcher DH is $75 and is better than Maxxis' DHF 3C.