mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Prost Brewing, by request

There are a ton of new brew pubs in town. I went to one more of them today.

Prost owners were at Oktoberfest in 2010 in Germany and heard about a brewery that was closing (the heir just didn't want to continue). They bought the equipment and shipped it all over here. Talk about the real deal!

I wasn't taking notes as one of the owners gave me a tour of the brewery side of his new place, but I have pics. Vintage equipment, some retrofitted into the new space, some exactly as taken out of the old brewery "over there".

The entire place gave off an air of "we're here to drink German beer, let's get started". The noise volume increased the longer I was there, with laughter rocking the walls. Good times were being had by all!

The address is 2540 19th. Get off I-25 at the 20th St. exit, go right, start going south on the frontage road (Central) and immediately look for the big green building on your right which is west about a block on 19th. It's easy to miss the first time.

For reference, it's just about directly across I-25 from the Denver Beer Co (there's a bridge connecting the two areas). That last pic is of Glass House in Riverfront Park.
    Last edited by xcguy; 10-01-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Holy crap! That place looks amazing! I saw it on our way to Amato's a few months ago and have been wanting to check it out.

But.....how were the beers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Holy crap! That place looks amazing! I saw it on our way to Amato's a few months ago and have been wanting to check it out.

But.....how were the beers?
    Time for you to stop by and try them and give us a report. Sounds like you've known about this place longer than I have! Yelp has a lot of reviews from people who have lived in Germany and it seems like as far as a German-style set of beers they're pretty "authentic".
    I don't know squat about what a German beer should taste like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think that is a good niche. This day and age, breweries need to do something to set themselves apart. I had a few german style beers yesterday at the Breck Oktoberfest. Paulaner was a sponsor and had a few good examples of style, Hefe, Marzen, Weisn. Looks like Prost isn't afraid to stray from the German roots though, offering an IPA is a must.

You should x-post some of these reports on the beer forum here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    I think that is a good niche. This day and age, breweries need to do something to set themselves apart. I had a few german style beers yesterday at the Breck Oktoberfest. Paulaner was a sponsor and had a few good examples of style, Hefe, Marzen, Weisn. Looks like Prost isn't afraid to stray from the German roots though, offering an IPA is a must.

You should x-post some of these reports on the beer forum here.
    I do post on the Beer forum but these reports are more about spotlighting local places, preferably new and trying to gain a toehold in the competitive brew pub scene here. If I can up the visits to these places, that's all I can hope for. Even if I did try the beers it almost doesn't matter what I would think about them, the next guy will have a differing opinion.

Sounds like you know your German beers. Stop on by there today and let us know what you think! You could get a tour of the brewery area like I did (maybe) and see basically the innards of a genuine German brewery. You can go to Prost's website and read about the moving process:

http://www.prostbrewing.com/germany.html

As I was looking at these huge brewing vats (?) the owner said "copper was made for brewing beer".
    Last edited by xcguy; 10-01-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    xcguy, I apreaciate these posts of local haunts. As you know I'm new back to the area and alot has changed since I left many years ago. BTW what happened to the front range beer thread you had going?
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've never seen their brewing facility. It's seriously all Willy Wonka back there. I need to see it myself now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    xcguy, I apreaciate these posts of local haunts. As you know I'm new back to the area and alot has changed since I left many years ago. BTW what happened to the front range beer thread you had going?
    Yes, a lot of water under the bridge in the past 10 years or so and I didn't even have to move away for that to happen!

I don't think I ever had a Front Range Beer Thread going...I know I didn't. I'm just giving a headsup about local brewpubs as I come across them. And that's down here in the Denver area so if you come across some cool new place up north where you live you can do the same!

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I agree, great niche. We really don't need another take on the worn IPA. (that IPA is a guest bier, to the poster above). Looking forward to checking this out next time I go visit my tenants.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    I agree, great niche. We really don't need another take on the worn IPA. (that IPA is a guest bier, to the poster above). Looking forward to checking this out next time I go visit my tenants.

_MK
    For sure get back to us on your experience there. I would like nothing more than to find I love the beers there. Gonna take me trying them to know that ( )

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Yes, a lot of water under the bridge in the past 10 years or so and I didn't even have to move away for that to happen!

I don't think I ever had a Front Range Beer Thread going...I know I didn't. I'm just giving a headsup about local brewpubs as I come across them. And that's down here in the Denver area so if you come across some cool new place up north where you live you can do the same!
    Will do....
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Prost had their first annual "tapping of the Oktoberfest keg by the mayor" today. Prost brewed up a special Marzen brew, 5.5%, which I guess is the sessionable brew that most people "lift their steins and drink more beer!" Sounds good to me.

After I shot I did try a sampler. I liked it, a lot. And so did everyone else. Mayor Hancock carried around one of the monster steins and it looked like it was down about 1/4. The guy knows how to party. At least, while he's on duty.
    Last edited by xcguy; 10-01-2012 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So, I found Prost's Dank IPA on the shelf at my local liquor store. I went back and forth on whether or not to buy it, figured it was probably an average IPA but decided to try it. Wow, pleasantly surprised! A very good IPA, very complex, darker than most IPA's, maybe my new favorite. I had a Modus after and the Dank has much more flavor.

comes in a 4 pack of Tall Boys for 10 ish..

Members who have read this thread: 0