Gaa-zee-raaaa!

As promised, some Keystone pics.

A few pics of the 6' rock drop - sorry they're probably not in order...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now with more vitriol!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Some pics of the bridge into step down
    Now with more vitriol!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    A sequence of Jaws that came out pretty cr@ppy, because I haven't taken the time to figure out my camera properly. The 7' er is to the right.

That's about it for the pics, I had my camera set on "multi burst" or something like that thinking it was the three shot sequence setting, so most of the pics are too small to show anything.

Thanks again for the ride Ryan - it was great fun.
    Now with more vitriol!

Flowtronic engineer
    Suhweeeeet. That stuff looks fun.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

mtbr member
    It was perfect on friday. The main builder of these stunts was there with his gator. I was able to hit all this stuff and he would pick me up and bring me back up to hit it again. It is steep into the rock drop, but a smooth tranny. I loved the step down bridge, you could hit it fast and rip into a g-out after a left turn on landing.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Wow! Nice looking. Tough to tell form the pics if I'll be hitting those or not.

I think I'll be taking the smaller of the drop options. That rock one looks good, but the step down looks much bigger to me, and my meager drop skills!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    That was the best day at work EVER! I got back right at 4.30 to see that I really didn't miss anything. I'm glad I went!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This looks like a good time, but my DH bike is gone.. Are they renting any good DH bikes at the stone or should I try it with my 6inch prophet??

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by PMAC
    This looks like a good time, but my DH bike is gone.. Are they renting any good DH bikes at the stone or should I try it with my 6inch prophet??

You'd be fine on a 6" bike, there's stuff for just about any bike / rider there.
    Now with more vitriol!

Outcast
    It's funny how my perspective of the rock drop changes with the view. In the first pic, taken from below the drop, it looks moderate, and the ramp low angled. In the fourth pic, taken near the lip, the drop looks huge, and the ramp real steep. Guess I'll have to scope it out personally when I get there!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    It's funny how my perspective of the rock drop changes with the view. In the first pic, taken from below the drop, it looks moderate, and the ramp low angled. In the fourth pic, taken near the lip, the drop looks huge, and the ramp real steep. Guess I'll have to scope it out personally when I get there!
    It is pretty odd - "Jaws" looks more like "Goldfish" in the sequence shot, and the rock drop looks like it's about 2' when veiwed from the bottom. Regardless, it's all great fun and definitely worth checking out.

The ramp on the rock drop is probably at about 45 degrees FWIW
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    .... ah the joy of trying to scout stuff from pictures. Matt thought the step-down bridge looked like "I could hit that!" which worked until he actually went down and looked at how far he'd have to gap. Changed his tune just a little. Big stuff, it's nice to see Keystone stepping up, now if we could just con them out of a new trail or two....scott

mtbr member
    oh man i want another big travel bike again! somehow i don't think the tracer will handle the drops

mtbr member
    Talked with a few trail guys at Keystone Thur. and they are just waiting for the paper work to come back from the forest service to build new trails. Sounds like they are going to build 3 new black trails.

pin 'er up
    You guys are nuts!! SWEET PICS!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    That stuff will give me opportunity to push my limits. I did the tiny 5' today (not even on the pictures). We'll see, maybe I tackle the rock-drop or the 7' next... Most likely I'll be up there on Monday.

And: I saw a guy walking down to the base station after apparently crashing on the big one. Hurt his shoulder. All the best to him. Thanks to the nice hikers who picked him up and helped him down.

Play it save folks!

Klaus

DIRTYAMERICAN
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the pics! I'm going there again in a few weeks. CAN'T WAIT!

Ride on!
    let's roll

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdude
    Thanks for the pics! I'm going there again in a few weeks. CAN'T WAIT!

Ride on!
    What's your name? You don't know my brother, Matt Baden, do you? I only ask because he lives in Manhattan, KS. He was telling me about a guy (Jesse, or some other "J" name) who he rode with out there. Matt rides an '03 AC1.

If you are the guy he rode with (or not) you should post here when you get out - maybe we can hook up and ride Keystone while you're out.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have a blast - Keystone has really stepped it up recently.

Josh
    Now with more vitriol!

Flowtronic engineer
    Yesterday (7/2) I FINALLY got my first day in up at Keystone this season. I was very pleasantly suprised with the work thats been done this spring. Fun, well built berms everywhere you want them, except for the run-out of the drop zone...I think thats the scariest part of that whole spot.

Cowboy up is flowing super well with the rebuilt berms, the double on PIF is super fun. I'm stoked! Ready to go do it again tomorrow. Nice work Keystone, after riding at Derr Valley for a few years, its nice to see some progress actually occur.

Oh yeah, good riding witcha Snowskilz. That was good stuff.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by shabadu
    Yesterday (7/2)

Cowboy up is flowing super well with the rebuilt berms, the double on PIF is super fun. I'm stoked! Ready to go do it again tomorrow. Nice work Keystone, after riding at Derr Valley for a few years, its nice to see some progress actually occur.
    Cowboy Up down from the lifts: great section of trail! I'd love to see way more stuff like that, rather than just more drop stuff (yeah, some of ya'll will want to stone me for that comment......
    or stuff just heading straight down the slopes

Nice tight corners in the trees, mixed in with a bunch of roots and rocks, and a bunch of 3-4" foot drops/jumps in and out of the corners and so on, some rock garden sections thrown in for good measure.

Give me a few more miles of that kinda stuff!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

hey, what the!
    Hey, where can you lodge in Keystone for cheap? Or, better to stay in Gunnison?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kjahn
    Hey, where can you lodge in Keystone for cheap? Or, better to stay in Gunnison?
    Gunnison is nowhere close to Keystone. Cheap lodging can be found in Dillon or Silverthorne...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Cowboy Up down from the lifts: great section of trail! I'd love to see way more stuff like that, rather than just more drop stuff (yeah, some of ya'll will want to stone me for that comment......
    or stuff just heading straight down the slopes

Nice tight corners in the trees, mixed in with a bunch of roots and rocks, and a bunch of 3-4" foot drops/jumps in and out of the corners and so on, some rock garden sections thrown in for good measure.

Give me a few more miles of that kinda stuff!
    Just been up there again. Looks like the stunt building continues. Good and bad.

On the good side: I just discovered another (probably old) ladder and 5+ foot drop on TNT. Never knew there eas that. It isn't even on the map.

On the bad side: The chaps up the ante on the jumps on the Motorhead. On the upper part they changed a couple of kickers into doubles. And the two sweet tables of the past are now one double (glad they did only increase the lips a bit) and a mean step-up double. And I suck at dirt jumping... Keystone trail crew sucks at building a chicken way around the new obstackles. (I mean there is none!) I guess I'll have to get better.