mtbr member

Pro XC Course Tour Video, 2010 US National Champs

Take the dime tour of the Pro Cross Country course, ready for the 2010 US National Championships at SolVista Bike Park, this July 15-18.

Built to USAC spec and instruction as a means of preparing U.S. cross country riders for the World Championships at Mont Sainte Anne, the course is about 2.6 miles long per lap (pros will do about 8).

And don't worry about Lola, she had a rough day with that porcupine, but a quick trip to the vet and a good night's sleep later and she was running around like nothing ever happened.

The Fix Bikes

The Fix Bikes

mtbr member
    Where is the start? Can you get about a 1000 people to ride all the fresh cut sections before the race?

mtbr member
    Wow. That looks fun. I'll bring the XC bike now to Solvista, too.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

..ouch
    Nice.. that just looks like a damn fun trail ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKracing
    Can you get about a 1000 people to ride all the fresh cut sections before the race?
    http://www.usacycling.org/road/
    The Fix Bikes

The Fix Bikes

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fixtup
    Built to USAC spec and instruction as a means of preparing U.S. cross country riders for the World Championships at Mont Sainte Anne, the course is about 2.6 miles long per lap (pros will do about 8).
    I'm sure the riders will appreciate this new course from the one used last year--it looks to be well done and fast. However, I thought the World Cup Events were based upon the UCI XCO Cross-country Olympic format with a mandatory course length of 5 to 9 km. I was under the impression that these courses had some technical difficulty. Seems to me your course more fits into the UCI XCC Cross-country short circuit or criterium format, with a length less than 5 km, which I think aren't used at the World Cups. Regardless of the technicalities, it looks to be a lot of fun which at the end of the day is always the most important criteria. Great job!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've never raced. It's true. From my perspective there is much carnage to be had on those two bridges, what with any moisture on them being a problem and bunches of riders going off either side. Am I just wrong about that? And about that sharp rock: just knock off the sharpness, why add that as an X factor for the rider who is perhaps forced into that line?

And while I'm at it, do new courses like this typically get "tamped down" as a rule before the start of the first race, or does the looseness of its newness just add to the funfactor/difficulty?

I remember the start of the pro race last year. Right out the gate they had a brutal dusty climb up that steep road. Not just steep but at racing speeds.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I don't think the bridges will be an issue, unless it really gets wet. But then a layer of chicken wire can be put on in a heartbeat. Single track and technical sections are normal on any race course. Hey, it is an MTB race after all.

As far as looseness goes: The pre-rides will burn the course in. Seemed to work that way last year, too.

I cannot compete in the nationals. But I will take a loop or two on that race course. Just for the fun of it.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    I agree with xcguy. The course does look fun, and cool. However, if you have ever raced a true pro-level race, with this many people 80+, little things become a big issue.

I still want to know where the start is. I don't see any way out of the hill in the pictures above, unless you start at the top of it.

mtbr member
    at the end of the video he said something about going over the 4 cross course. Do we go down that too???
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    not trying to be a downer, because I really appreciate what the guys up at solvista have done, but I rode the pro course a few days ago and it is a dissapointment to say the least. It seems to me that there was very little effort put into making this course, it consists mostly of bulldozed double track, with one or two sections that require little to no technical skill. If this course is meant to prepare racers for the Mount-St.-Anne world champs then a lot of changes are going to need to be made. I raced the Mount-St-Anne world cup last year, and the course is twenty times more difficult technically and aerobically. In order for this race to be at par with world cup races some serious change need to be made.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You can blame USAC and a few athletes for that 'smooth' course. We put a lot of effort into making the course smooth because that's what we were told to do. Some of their representatives rode the course today along with JHK and Heather Irmiger. All of them complained that the course was 'too bumpy'. No **** it is bumpy, it is mountain biking. If we were willing to put up with this for another year we would have to pave the trail. Here's an idea, ride a short travel XC bike instead of your hardtails. XC world champs have been won on full suspension before, so have individual world cups. Use something that suits the course. Or just suck it up and ride the course. If you want to ride road, go ride the road. Idiots.

ride
    I used to race quite a bit of XC back in the day, maybe too much. I'd be bummed if I got to the course and saw that. For nats? Dang. Sol Vista has some really, really prime xc backwoods singletrack. Too bad USA Cycling can't just say "It's a mountain bike race, it's nationals, let er rip and make that sh!t hard." Probably make for some good spectating, though.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    You could fill in the bumps with wood chips, that seemed to work last year.