mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Pre-Riding the Laramie Enduro Course?

Folks,

Likely heading up there on Saturday to pre-ride part of the course. Any thoughts on a good 30-40 mile? Where do I start? Suggestions appreciated.

Fat Biker
    Park at trailhead near 1/4 mile above start area and ride the first half of course. It is mostly clean and dry no major water to worry about. Ride the course for first half and instead of heading out on northeast portion after reaching Blair-Wallis road, head south and finish up Headquarters trail to the finish. should be close to 35 miles or so.

See ya on the 31st
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

slow
    Last year was my first year to race it and to me, the first half was easier than the second. I would have liked a preview of that second half prior to the race, as I ended up being somewhat unprepared for the section between the last two aid stations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Which has the more singletrack? Aside from this being a preview ride, I also want to make it fun and worthwhile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Which has the more singletrack? Aside from this being a preview ride, I also want to make it fun and worthwhile.
    The second half has more single track and is way more technical than the first half....but I agree the second half got me as well.

mtbr member
    I rode up there last Friday. Not having a good map or GPS, which is essential if you intend to ride the actual course, I elected to do an out and back on the last 1/4 of the course, starting from the Summit Trail parking lot (which connects to the Headquarters trail).

I road Headquarters trail in reverse of the course (which is a fun singletrack) through the Headquarters trailhead and down the road several miles following the course and then turned around and came back following the course in the actual direction. That section will certainly be a slog after 60 miles. The climb back up Headquarters trail is steep, but not terribly long. The hard part is there are little rock gardens every 50 yards or so.

Once back to the top I rode the singletrack around the Summit Trail area, rather than riding more of the dirt road parts of the course.

FYI, bring insect repellent. The mosquitoes up there were nasty.

Hairshirt Rider
    I'm assuming you've checked out the course description and map.

I agree that the last part of the course is the most challenging and mentally it helps to know what is coming up. I also love the singletrack in that section as well.

For max fun and convenience this is what I'd do. Stop at the rest area, take a picture of Abe and get the Happy Jack trail map. Take the Happy Jack highway to the Happy Jack rec area. Park and hop on the Pole Creek trail (mile 22.85 in the course description). Follow the course to where you cross Happy Jack highway (mile 33.15). Hang a right and take the highway to 707a (mile 52.05). From there you can ride the last 18 or so miles of the course. Instead of droppin down to the road and the start finish, ride the route as described from miles .8 to 2.1.

At this point you are ready for your beer so you can take the highway back to where you started or back track a little and use the map you picked up to find a nice singletrack route back to your car.