Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ppl w/ Pikes that feel mid-stroke is too spikey

Been talking w/ Craig at Avy about my one main complaint w/ the Pike...mid-stroke being a bit too stiff which will make the super slow speed compression feel a bit too spikey. As result, on steep and techy climbs the front wheel will get bounced off-line really easy:
    Pike 2014 - Page 23

Problem: the mid-stroke check spring is too stiff

Solution (towards the bottom of the page): Pike Open Bath Cartridge Kit

He also addressed a bunch of other things w/ the Pike w/ that kit...making HSC, LSC, mid-stroke, and HSR/LSR way more tuneable/adjustable.

Looking fwd to dropping that kit into my Pike...let the tax refund be fruitful!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sure why not throw another $375 into a brand new fork? The valving kit on the other hand might be worth looking into. Price?

I had an AVA cart a Boxxer RC for the last couple season. Great improvement over the RC or even R2C2/WC damper but that doesn't say much. I was really disappointment when I wanted to reshim the dampers and needed an AVA specific tool. Hopefully they did away with the propriety BS since a standard set of flats wouldn't seem to interfere with the design.

Anyway, I'm off the Avalanche bandwagon and don't plan to return. My Dorado blows my Boxxer AVA to pieces.

mtbr member
    $230 when it goes to DIY sale.

I'm asking if he'd consider turning the full valve kit ala carte...like $130 per piston (compression and rebound/mid-valve). I primarily want the rebound/mid-valve. But, I may throw $375 at my Pike to get the full cart. The cart in my 888 was a BIG up compared to the stock port'd cartridge...and I DO use that anti-bottoming system every time I drop No Quarter and Beall...could feel the fork go into that last inch.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Hey Paul, I've re-valved that fork already to remedy that! No need to spend that kind of money! PM me if you like, or mavericksuspension@gmail.com
    We also work on the rebound end as well to help "calm" the fork down a bit...!
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    Hey Paul, I've re-valved that fork already to remedy that! No need to spend that kind of money! PM me if you like, or mavericksuspension@gmail.com
    We also work on the rebound end as well to help "calm" the fork down a bit...!
    Did you find another spring for the check shim on the back side of the rebound piston?
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    The check spring is just fine, its the compression shim stack that make it a bit spikey!
    As well as the neg air system, but not much you can do about that!
    Once the comp shims are lightened up the low speed adjuster takes more effect for ride height, but eliminates the hand slappy feel it has.
    If it we're possible to increase the neg air side that would help, but no room!
    I add a shim or two to the rebound, this help with its over "rapid" recovery system!

The damper is very adjustable and tuneable
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    The check spring is just fine, its the compression shim stack that make it a bit spikey!

As well as the neg air system, but not much you can do about that!
    Once the comp shims are lightened up the low speed adjuster takes more effect for ride height, but eliminates the hand slappy feel it has.
    I'm pretty okay w/ the HSC. Actually, I'd like to make it a toooouch stiffer on the high side of the HSC since I like to hop the bike around...3 or 4 ft w/o too much hesitation if I have a landing/runout. It's that super-LSC that's bugging me, and I'm thinking the solution is stacked thinner shims...MOAR SHIMZ...vs one thick one.

If it we're possible to increase the neg air side that would help, but no room!
    You need more topout support? Have you tried to air up the fork to 90psi, equalizing w/ the pulling trick, then drop the main chamber back down? Should make it so your fork won't ever extend that far into the(-) part w/o you having to pull, no?

I add a shim or two to the rebound, this help with its over "rapid" recovery system!
    How many tokens and what kind of PSI are you running? IIRC, you could prob run w/ less tokens and slightly higher PSI to get the fork more linear. In my case I need more progression, so lower PSI w/ 3 tokens. With only 38 PSI (I need to up this a touch), "rapid" just isn't so rapid...not enough return energy...so the rebound is also just fine.
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

Kaj
    mtbr member
    This thread is the bomb. I'm about to put my first permanent Pike on a Mojo HDR for the season, going to be a fun year of tuning.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member

Suspension grease

I'm not sure how much Slick Honey costs, but my guess is too much. So here...same ****, in bulk:

Order Slickoleum Grease
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I'm not sure how much Slick Honey costs, but my guess is too much. So here...same ****, in bulk:

Order Slickoleum Grease
    Slick Honey isn't that much more and the tub lasts for years (thats with me rebuilding my 2 forks a few times a year and some friends fork)

Honestly, I don't know if there is much difference, but my forks feel so much better with Slick honey than anything else I have tried..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Slick Honey isn't that much more and the tub lasts for years (thats with me rebuilding my 2 forks a few times a year and some friends fork)

Honestly, I don't know if there is much difference, but my forks feel so much better with Slick honey than anything else I have tried..
    Back in the 90's it was known as Englund's Slick Honey. Slickoleum is owned by Englund, LLC.

Anyway, the reason why I tossed in that was Slickoleum is out of CSprings... Feed the locals!

Altho, I'm not 100% if Slick Honey has been sold off to someone else or if Englund still has it.
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oh c'mon... All I read is that the Pike is the end all, be all.

And now it needs more money and tuning to make it work?

BTW: I've got a massive tube of Manitou PrepM... Isn't that similar to Slick Honey?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The easy way to do a Pike:

1) Install fork
    2) Ride the $HIT out of it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Oh c'mon... All I read is that the Pike is the end all, be all.

And now it needs more money and tuning to make it work?

BTW: I've got a massive tube of Manitou PrepM... Isn't that similar to Slick Honey?
    I've been riding my roadie on my trainer in front of my TV/computer (wireless keyboard mounted on my bar so I can surf/watch MSNBC streams) while watching Liberal pundits rip on Republicans (that part I don't mind). I'm going a bit stir-crazy, so I go into tinkering/nerd-tastic mode...it ain't broke...who cares! let's fix it anyway!
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2007
    and slather it in judy butter with baby hands.
    "Just moved to denver, any suggestions on what rubbers to use when i bang loose denver chicks ?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    The easy way to do a Pike:

1) Install fork
    2) Ride the $HIT out of it
    Lol. 10-4

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

Based on what qualities you seek I'd recommend a used 2013 fox 34 for you and save yourself almost $1k

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
    Based on what qualities you seek I'd recommend a used 2013 fox 34 for you and save yourself almost $1k
    Seriously.

I'm a little concerned. I've stayed away from Rock Shox forks for years now because I hated how much tinkering they take. Search MTBR for tuning tips on a Reba or just about any other RS fork, and there are pages and pages and pages of suggestions with no consensus and every setting seems to be a compromise in performance somewhere else. I've been a big fan of Fox (I know everybody's not) for a while and have been happy. That said, I heard amazing things about the Pike and picked one up about a month ago to put on my rig. Now I'm reading more and more threads like this one. With my Fox, I set my sag and my rebound and I ride. I like the older RLC dampers because of the on-the-fly LSC adjustments. Other than that, they're just awesome. And I'm kinda picky about my suspension (clearly not as picky as Paully or others on here).

Am I going to be disappointed? Am I going to spend the first month or so of riding this fork tearing it apart after every ride to add tokens and tinker with the damping and whatnot? If so, I might sell this thing before I mount it up and pick up another Fox 34...
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    ^^^ x2^^^

My pike just shipped, but now I'm thinking of building the 34 I have

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Guys.. I don't own a pike, but stop worrying, its going to be great.. some people just like to tinker and talk and twist dials, personally I set it and forget it (and I currently ride two RS products and love them).
    BBZ

mtbr member
    I would not worry about it either.
    This is one of the best forks out of the box out there. When the time for complete overhaul comes, maybe than it makes more sense to try to make it even better...

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

Geez you can't always listen to tards on the internet. Definitely get more input. My comment was sarcastic IMO the fox 34 was a total piece of horseshit, then I had dirt labs do some work and it got better maybe got up to turd quality.
    I have a pike and agree with skared out of the box it's great. Some people are just tweakers.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
    I have a pike and agree with skared out of the box it's great. Some people are just tweakers.
    Yup, those are the guys and gals I prefer to not ride with, always talking shop and asking questions I can't answer, like, how many clicks you running.. blah, blah, blah.. go ride your bike.
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Seriously.

I'm a little concerned. I've stayed away from Rock Shox forks for years now because I hated how much tinkering they take. Search MTBR for tuning tips on a Reba or just about any other RS fork, and there are pages and pages and pages of suggestions with no consensus and every setting seems to be a compromise in performance somewhere else. I've been a big fan of Fox (I know everybody's not) for a while and have been happy. That said, I heard amazing things about the Pike and picked one up about a month ago to put on my rig. Now I'm reading more and more threads like this one. With my Fox, I set my sag and my rebound and I ride. I like the older RLC dampers because of the on-the-fly LSC adjustments. Other than that, they're just awesome. And I'm kinda picky about my suspension (clearly not as picky as Paully or others on here).

Am I going to be disappointed? Am I going to spend the first month or so of riding this fork tearing it apart after every ride to add tokens and tinker with the damping and whatnot? If so, I might sell this thing before I mount it up and pick up another Fox 34...
    You'll be fine. Just bolt it up and ride the **** out of it like SS said. I'm just going stir-crazy and I LIKE to geek out.

The token thing is easy! If you're heavy...say 200+, then drop in all three tokens (my fork came w/ 1 in, 2 spares), 175 or so, 2 in, 150, 1 in and anything below 125, pull out the one in there. Then set your static sag...I like ~25-27%...w/ whatever air pressure. Set your RCT3 to open and your LSC and rebound to middle, and go ride. Adjust your LSC and rebound to your favor. Disclaimer: I use a different token config...all 3 in and very low pressure.

If you don't like those token suggestions, then play...but it's pretty easy. Let out the air, unscrew the top plug, screw on or off the token, and slap everything back together...5 minutes.

A thing before you bolt it up, empty and refill the lube oil in the fork lowers. A number of ppl have noticed they've been coming in pretty dry.
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Yup, those are the guys and gals I prefer to not ride with, always talking shop and asking questions I can't answer, like, how many clicks you running.. blah, blah, blah.. go ride your bike.
    You can jump on a bike and ride w/ about 80% of the ppl out there who wouldn't know **** from shinola. They see "Fox" and they're happy, even if that fork doesn't move.

I cannot even begin to tell you how many ppl that, by just sliding in their brake levers and bringing back the reach so they can use 1 finger braking, that their level of enjoyment jumps WAY up! I've seen bikes ppl ride! Friggin' shops have been sending out bikes set up like dog-piles! You'd think that someone who've spent over $3K for a ride, the shop would spend 1/2 hour to an hour tweaking brake levers, saddle angles and position on rails, and suspension. Get them fitted, ergo and adjustments dialed!

So yeah, I tweak dials, but I won't talk about it w/ you until you complain your wrist/hands are tired from braking bombing down Mt Elbert...or your fillings fall out because your fork is riding on its bottom out bumpers.
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast