Thread: Powder Coating

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Powder Coating

Wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in but does anybody in the know of a good powder coating place in the Boulder area? Preferably somebody who has experience with bikes. Also, decent color selection and reasonable prices would be plusses. Any recommendations?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman07
    Wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in but does anybody in the know of a good powder coating place in the Boulder area? Preferably somebody who has experience with bikes. Also, decent color selection and reasonable prices would be plusses. Any recommendations?
    Not in Boulder, but I would recommend Spectrum Powder Works in Colorado Springs. They are the best powder coater in the country on bikes. I have a bike that was powdered by them 9 years ago and after heavy abuse, it still looks great. They can do any hue of powder, plus wet paint detail work that becomes "powder" after the clear coat is put on. This gives them limitless custom options. There have been several other threads about powder coating that you might try searching for that had some Denver area options, but Spectrum is always a popular answer to these threads and is worth the price!

feel the Force
    One note about Spectrum: their top guy, Jason, has moved on to his own powder coating business. It's called Coat, and it's in Portland, OR. I'm sure Spectrum can still do an excellent job, though.

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    One note about Spectrum: their top guy, Jason, has moved on to his own powder coating business. It's called Coat, and it's in Portland, OR. I'm sure Spectrum can still do an excellent job, though.
    YIKES...thanks for the head's-up mtbjedi1, is James still going to use Spectrum for his steel projects or is there a better coater in town these days??
    Thanks,
    miSSionary
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    Jason is gifted and Spectrum has always had excellent painters, but the main guy & painter is and always has been, Mark Brandt. He's the guy who owns Spectrum and he's the guy that trains the painters, Jason being an example.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

pin 'er up
    Thanks for the post DWF, you always have the 411 for sure!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Biker Beau
    Spectrum, absolutely!

They did my mtn tandem and the fade + custom graphics are amazing.

Mark leads the industry on what can be done with powder. Just attended the North American Handmade Bike Show in Portland and their frames were gorgeous. I hear that they also do Retrotec bikes and I've always loved their colors.

feel the Force
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    YIKES...thanks for the head's-up mtbjedi1, is James still going to use Spectrum for his steel projects or is there a better coater in town these days??
    Thanks,
    miSSionary
    Yes, James will still be using Spectrum. Like I said, Spectrum still does excellent work, and certainly no one does a better job in town.

The Dog.
    Check this:

Frame Powdercoating