Thread: Pouder canyon?

mtbr member

Pouder canyon?

Any one drive up the Pouder lately? I guess this could be kind OT but I'm getting board with road riding down on the flats. So I'm hopping some one has been up there lately. Is the road free of ice up to Stove Prairie?

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Can't speak to the Poudre, but I've been doing rides out to Glade Road to get my climbing fix. You might consider that for some decent net elevation. (from my house in Old Town it's about a 38 mile ride with 2,200 feet of elevation gain)

mtbr member
    Yea I did that ride yesterday. I can also do 2 passes of Centennial drive. But when I do the Pouder its 50 miles from my house to Stove Prairie and back and this time if year I'm betting there is vary little traffic.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

The road is clear.

At least mid day it was fine, no snow, but a lot of snowmelt water crossing the road in spots that likely is pretty icy early or late.

2 weeks ago the, the river was entirely frozen and buried in 6-12" of snow with xc ski tracks running down it at the Greyrock TH. I hiked Hewletts and it was an ice flow for the first 2 miles with a mud bog thrown in here and there for good measure.

If all you're wanting to do is get some climbing in, ride "The Dams" north to south and then over to Masonville and back.

drinks from the fountain
    Dadd Gulch can be fun if there has been enough traffic to pack it down. Typically not muddy since it's shady. If the snow is too deep it sure is fun to hike up and play slip n slide goin down.
    We have a cabin very near Dadd Gulch trail head so I'll be checkin it out this weekend.
    If its not rideable, its fun to ride Crown Point to get some miles and scenery. At worst there is a 4x4 track to ride in.
    Or...... I guess I could snowshoe.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    At least mid day it was fine, no snow, but a lot of snowmelt water crossing the road in spots that likely is pretty icy early or late.

2 weeks ago the, the river was entirely frozen and buried in 6-12" of snow with xc ski tracks running down it at the Greyrock TH. I hiked Hewletts and it was an ice flow for the first 2 miles with a mud bog thrown in here and there for good measure.

If all you're wanting to do is get some climbing in, ride "The Dams" north to south and then over to Masonville and back.
    Cool thanx. I'm looking for climbing but i want more then just short steep climbs that spike my hart rate. Its still too early in the season for that. I'm still in base mile part of my year so I'm trying not to do rides that put me at Max output. The Pouder is nice because climb at about 70% hart rate for quite a whille.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Cool thanx. I'm looking for climbing but i want more then just short steep climbs that spike my hart rate. Its still too early in the season for that. I'm still in base mile part of my year so I'm trying not to do rides that put me at Max output. The Pouder is nice because climb at about 70% hart rate for quite a whille.
    I like it. I'm just getting into the training jargon, but Poudre sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Please report back on road conditions (I'd imagine road sand could make the decent a little sketchy).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    I like it. I'm just getting into the training jargon, but Poudre sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Please report back on road conditions (I'd imagine road sand could make the decent a little sketchy).
    Yea no doing 50mph on the way back down this time of year. I will ride up there tomorrow and see how it is. I'm hopping that there will be a clean line in the corners. I usually just come out and take the lane when I'm descending on the road anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Red Feather Lakes ... long ride from FC but its a nice steady climb with some great views.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perrygeo
    Red Feather Lakes ... long ride from FC but its a nice steady climb with some great views.
    I have dun that ride on my motorcycle and it is nice. I have yet to go any higher then Stove Prairie on the road bike. I do Estes when I need more distance with climbing. But thats just cause I like riding down 34 allot more.

mtbr member
    Why not go past HTMP and down to Masonville then continue straight into Buckhorn Canyon?

Or climb over Rist canyon and descend buckhorn?

IMO, the POUDRE is not a very bike friendly road.
    I just got food poisoning. I'm not sure when I'll use it - Steven Wright

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker13
    Why not go past HTMP and down to Masonville then continue straight into Buckhorn Canyon?

Or climb over Rist canyon and descend buckhorn?

IMO, the POUDRE is not a very bike friendly road.

I do the Rist buckhorn loop too. But I have a feeling there will still be ice on the road in rist canyon because Its allot tighter and its shaded most of the time. Its also a tougher climb. I can climb Pouder and Big Thompsen canyons at 70% hart rate. Right now I don't want to be above that. the Pouder isn't bad on the off season there isn't that much traffic generally. I have ridden there on days when I only get passed by one car. Its the rafting buses you have to watch out for in the summer. And if you have yet to try it I highly recommend climbing Rist and then descending down to the Pouder. Now thats a fun stretch of road.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Fwiw

A couple of Saturdays ago I passed a fair sized peloton of Bikepacker's near Hewletts, apparently heading up for the evening at one of the campgrounds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Pulser, How was it up the pooder? Not tooo messy I hope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnman76
    Pulser, How was it up the pooder? Not tooo messy I hope.
    Not too bad I just got back. A little bit of ice in a few spots but if your paying attention its not a problem. take something windstoper its a cold ride back down. I got going too late and most of the canyon was in the shade so no sun to keep me warm.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Pulser, do you happen to know what the distance/elevation up to Stove Prairie is? I've never done it but it sounds intriguing during the off (boat and RV) season.

mtbr member
    I don't have the elevation but its 50 miles round trip. I'm starting from mulberry and overland trail. Its not a bad ride the elevation gain is gradual and there really isn't any thing vary steep.