formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006

Post horse event Buff Creek?

Did anybody ride BC on Sunday? Considering going up today, but don't really want to ride in a pock-marked poo fest. Anybody got a ride report from yesterday?

Bueller?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Rode there saturday during the event. Hourses everywhere and their nasty calling card all over the palce. They did churn up quite a bit of dirt, mostly in sandy areas. But everyone was friendly and polite. Althought at one area they had a medical stop for the horses and asked eveyone to go around them which meant walking off trail.

Heathen
    I still say horses should be required to wear poo bags. Leave no trace, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    well they did leave no trace, no trace of nature. looked and smelled like a hourse stall in some places.

Ask me how...
    I rode on the N.Side from Pine Valley and saw little evidence of the event..

some piles of dung but not out of the ordinary, an occasional whiff of urine and some leftover signs at some trail junctions..

trails IMO pretty unaffected...

FWIW i did not venture south of FR543

Q
    They only live to get radical...they'll never get the spiritual side of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I rode there yesterday. All things considered, the trails are in good shape. The horses did leave their calling cards but it shouldn't be a big deal. Have fun.

FRMBP.org - Paying it Forward

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    Did anybody ride BC on Sunday? Considering going up today, but don't really want to ride in a pock-marked poo fest. Anybody got a ride report from yesterday?

Bueller?
    All's good. A few H-Bombs but overall the trails did well. It's a once a year event and other than the CT, I never see horses there.

There was more evidence of MTB short-cutting on Shinglemill, than hoof prints in all of BC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I rode there Saturday. We had to make some adjustments to the planned route to avoid the majority of them. The trails were fine after they left but their pink/blue trail markers were left behind.

Interestingly, and non-horse-related, two trees had fallen right on the paths - one at the bottom of sandywash and one on strawberry jack. Had to walk around them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    DISGUSTING! Pack it in, pack it out!

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Joe, did you get up there? I rode it yesterday fairly early and they were still riding but prob. not near as many. I really had no problems 99% were friendly. I of course yielded both up and down the only real problem i had was at the bottom of redskin, i was reversing it, I had stepped off the trail for some eq. coming up and about 5 of them just took off way off trail and rode way around me galloping! i told the next rider i don't mind yielding but would rather they stay on the trail.

Really didn't see any significant trail damage other than in the wet sections of the ct and one broken sign at the gate from ct to the road. It was not broken on thurs when we rode up there. And it is a fairly tight area im sure a horse just turned around and bumped into it. I still had a good ride up there and ran into a few familiar folks! I'm sure they had a sweep crew that pulled ribbons and plates off the trees. Its all good glad to see people out enjoyin what they love!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Really didn't see any significant trail damage other than in the wet sections of the ct and one broken sign at the gate from ct to the road. It was not broken on thurs when we rode up there. And it is a fairly tight area im sure a horse just turned around and bumped into it. I still had a good ride up there and ran into a few familiar folks! I'm sure they had a sweep crew that pulled ribbons and plates off the trees. Its all good glad to see people out enjoyin what they love!
    Forgot about the plates. That was bad because they used staples. I've never had thorn problems, but I bet the artificial ones are now on the trail.