Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Possible Relocation

Brief introduction to the reasoning of my first post and questions throughout:

January 22, my birthday, I set forth on a plan to make a dramatic life change before I hit the big three-o. Despite physically living in Miami, FL my mind has always been up in the mountains. By January 22, 2009 my ambition, dream will happen.

---

On my top priority list lies Denver, CO. I'm sure you can all agree that it has plenty of mountains to roll through. I read you must earn your descents in the Front Range. I enjoy pedaling - a lot. Miami has flat terrain yet very technical situations to work yourself out of, which makes it very interesting. From some of the images I have seen of CO, it looks very straight and endless. I'm not sure if this would satisfy "the need" for adrenaline. How long are we talking about until the front tire points down for some preferred gravity induced speed?

I am totally aware of Winter Park being a premier DH spot within an hour from Denver. This would be my weekend headquarters. Though, I do enjoy a good ride after work. Let's say one would get off at 5:00 pm, would there be enough time to get a ride in and out safely? How long, on average, are the trails? Obviously the trails folks would attend during the week are quicker. Do those trails take an hour or less to complete?

Now that I have made it clear I am adrenaline junkie for speed and air time, I have to admit I would be open to more endurance type riding if it meant more saddle time during the week. And that is the basis for this email. I want to gather a good idea of what I am in for when pedaling (during the week). How long are the rides? Where's the non-resort DH trails? What type of bike should I look into for the endurance portion - XC or AMTN?

I'm having a hard time finding downhill minded individuals in a place full of mountains. However, I'm finding a lot of angry folks on these CO boards. Why?

As you can see I'm being very inquisitive. I plan to keep searching and probing for answers until I decide where I see myself moving within this year. I would greatly appreciate all and any answers or an incites you may like to share.

Peace!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Nothing here for adrenaline junkies. Sorry.

Have you considered Utah?

mtbr member
    welcome to the forum!

there is a lot of great riding in the front range area of denver - something for all tastes/abilities.

a few trail-specific link suggestions to get you started:
    1) this site's front range trail reviews
    2) Front Range Single Tracks
    3) Front Range Single Tracks: Volume 2
    4) Jefferson County Open Space Parks & Maps

if you haven't ridden here before, my advice would be to visit here in the summer (if you can swing it) to learn first-hand what type of riding is available before making a commitment to move.

skillz to pay billz
    if your talking about ascents? yes about an hour on average, then about 5 minutes to get down. repeat at your discretion

mtbr member
    Thanks S&R for the valuable links.

I'm fairly good about adapting to what terrain is available. Going up for an hour and down for 5 minutes may sound daunting at first, but there is a reason you all are doing it... Anf like I said, I'll have Winter Park to play in on the weekends.

There are other reasons why CO is the top prospect (weather, rafting, hiking, snowboarding, etc). It will be a combination of things that will prove the end result. A trip will be in the works this summer to get a first hand experience.

Again, thanks to those who have submitted their views. Any other information greatly appreciated.

Living the High Life
    For a bike, there are tons of options, but I'd lean more toward AM than XC. I had a Giant NRS when I first moved out here from WI and I felt like it couldn't handle some of the descents in the front range. I ride a Specialzed Enduro with 150mm in back and 100-170mm adjustable in front. Drop is low for climbing, open it up for decents.

It took me a while to get used to 30+ minute climbs, but now its all part of the ride. There are tons of trails, maybe a dozen, that you can hit after work and get in a 2 hour ride, several ups and downs. That's during daylight savings time in the summer. In the winter the sun goes down around 5pm and there is usually snow on the trails.

mtbr member
    I'm currently on a Transition Bottlerocket with a stunning weight of 33 pounds. This bike may be able to get me by for the time being. Its a great pedaler, but 2 hours may be pushing it for the geometry it has.

A quick question. I believe I read somewhere that the front range is within 15-30 minutes of Denver. True?

Thanks! Keep the answers coming...

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the need
    I'm currently on a Transition Bottlerocket with a stunning weight of 33 pounds. This bike may be able to get me by for the time being. Its a great pedaler, but 2 hours may be pushing it for the geometry it has.

A quick question. I believe I read somewhere that the front range is within 15-30 minutes of Denver. True?

Thanks! Keep the answers coming...
    It is true. I live in south Denver and with my location can get out to about 5 different trailheads in about 20 minutes of easy driving. At each spot I can ride for 1-3 hrs, depending on how much time/energy I may have.

Hold on to your BottleRocket for jumping and riding the bike parks (Keystone currently blows Winter Park out of the water, Sol Vista is killing it as well), but you're going to want a more trailworthy bike. Enduros, 575s, Reigns, etc seem to be the ticket for somewhat gravity oriented trail riders around here.

mtbr member
    I will 3rd the All-Mountain recommendation although I myself get by on a Superlight. I live in central Denver and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to the front range trails like Green Mountain/Dakota Ridge. Depending on traffic, it might take a bit longer, but usually west-bound US-6 is not too crazy

mtbr member
    there is no good riding in colorado.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    there is no good riding in colorado.
    You might be onto something there...don't move here, nothing to see. Just bums and yuppies. Did I mention horse poop?

Thread Terrorist
    Live in Golden, I'm 200 minutes from the nearest singletrack (via bike) and 500 minutes to 500 parks via car.

Edit: Golden SUCKS. Don't come here at all. It is the worst place in the front range to be.
    Last edited by IndecentExposure; 04-01-2008 at 12:27 PM.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    There's just too much great riding in Miami, FL. Now that I think about it, maybe I should stay...

mtbr member
    Head to Utah for all the really good riding and great beer.

mtbr member
    There's just too much great riding in Miami, FL. Now that I think about it, maybe I should stay...

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Live in Golden, I'm 2 minutes from the nearest singletrack (via bike) and 5 minutes to 5 parks via car.
    Please stop posting this. I am never going to be able to afford a house here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I’ve heard Ault is “a unique little town”.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    For a bike, there are tons of options, but I'd lean more toward AM than XC. I had a Giant NRS when I first moved out here from WI and I felt like it couldn't handle some of the descents in the front range.
    NRS's handle the Front Range descents just fine, thank you very much.

Rolling
    I'm having a hard time finding downhill minded individuals in a place full of mountains. However, I'm finding a lot of angry folks on these CO boards. Why?

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Please stop posting this. I am never going to be able to afford a house here.
    I edited my post. House prices just dropped 2 points
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    I’ve heard Ault is “a unique little town”.
    Lots of hucking and freeriding just 15 minutes north of there.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    NRS's handle the Front Range descents just fine, thank you very much.
    ...it may not be fun, but it'll get you down the hill
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    ...it may not be fun, but it'll get you down the hill
    Oh it's fun. I can attest to that. In fact, it's a downright adrenaline-filled experience if you're going fast enough.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Oh it's fun. I can attest to that. In fact, it's a downright adrenaline-filled experience if you're going fast enough.
    It takes a lot more skillz to ride than my tanks! youse got mad skillz!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    It takes a lot more skillz to ride than my tanks! youse got mad skillz!
    I have a gimpy ankle that says otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast