mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Please, Please quit stacking!

I know you have heard it before, but if you cant ride the obstacle, whether it be up or down, please don't stack rocks so you can. Once again Palmer Parks obstacles are being stacked

Walk it, or just keep trying to ride it and eventually you will.

Thanks,

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This gets people so upset that they beat their head against walls and you don't want that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    This gets people so upset that they beat their head against walls and you don't want that.
    The dislike of stacking goes across all disciplines of off-road wheeled sports...Mountain Biking, Motocross, Rock Crawling, etc. My experience is that Rock Crawlers show the most disdain over it.

It's almost like chipping away at rock to create holds in rock climbing (i.e. Sport Park in Boulder Canyon)...not quite as unethical though, since we can just move the stacked rocks.

With how much I see it frowned upon...including my own frown, I'm surprised it's not universal knowledge to just let it be. Oh well...we all think differently.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fasttreker View Post
    I know you have heard it before, but if you cant ride the obstacle, whether it be up or down, please don't stack rocks so you can. Once again Palmer Parks obstacles are being stacked

Thanks,
    "Sounds like you need to harden up and realized that the wants/ desires of the many out way the wants/ desires of yours.... I get so tired of all these crying on Mtbr rant threads that are clearly motivated by selfish desires of how a person wants things done. A group is not going to change everything around because you are on the trail and don't want to be with them. Suck it up or stay home... Pretty easy." - HTR

Have fun with that.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    The dislike of stacking goes across all disciplines of off-road wheeled sports...Mountain Biking, Motocross, Rock Crawling, etc. My experience is that Rock Crawlers show the most disdain over it.

It's almost like chipping away at rock to create holds in rock climbing (i.e. Sport Park in Boulder Canyon)...not quite as unethical though, since we can just move the stacked rocks.

With how much I see it frowned upon...including my own frown, I'm surprised it's not universal knowledge to just let it be. Oh well...we all think differently.
    It's not something I myself do but I don't get upset about it either. If I'm going to stop and mess with a trail it will have something to do with basic maintenance like cleaning out a drain or dragging off blowdown. I'm not too proud to dismount for something I think I'm more likely to take off a bunch of skin than pull off. (been there done that as far as hurting myself, road rash and bruises are no longer a badge of courage, they just hurt and interfere with the rest of my life).

What concerns me more is people leaving the established/designated trail to go around the feature, or for that matter to seek out a more technical feature.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I somewhat agree with you all. I don't mind trail maintenance to prevent erosion or blocks put in place to stop people from widening or going off trail, but I just assume we leave the rocks where they are and the natural obstacles how they are. I guess I am more disappointed than upset and I am surprised that someone would get off their bike walk off trail to grab a rock, or rocks, and then stack them. Just walk the darn thing. I have been walking a variety of obstacles out there for years and never had the idea to mess with it. I also walk many less obstacles than I used to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Never has one of my rides been ruined by "stacking."

mtbr member
    Rock stacking workout 101:

1: stop bike
    2: dismount
    3: pick up offending rock
    4: shotput rock as far as rock weight and your puny arms can handle
    5: repeat steps 3 and 4
    6: remount bike
    7: pedal
    8: repeat as necessary

Or I guess you could just tell random strangers on the interwebz to stop stacking them
    Feels like an Arby's night.

Your bike is incorrigible
    There is absolutely no way to keep people from stacking. If you removed all rocks from the area, they would bring in rocks from further out or, worse, bring in a 2x6.

Trail damage is so ubiquitous that, in some cases at least, I think it would be better to leave stacks alone. Five years ago, the technical stairs section at Marshall Mesa was only as wide as the stairs themselves. Now the trail is four feet wider so riders can avoid the stairs. Of course, there would be riders who were afraid of the stacks, too, and ride around them. Unless half of all riders are bike patrol, there will be stacking.

MTBR Contributing Editor

Thanks,
    Offer some pictures or info on where the stacking is happening. On occasion existing rocks have been kicked out of place (horses/hikers/bikers) or removed by hikers, and replacement of armoring can be needed (not stacking per se). Been riding there for 20+ years, and the place has changed, mostly due to erosion. It has gotten a lot tougher in places over the years, since the dirt around rocks has disappeared. I like the tough and burly technical stuff (Grand Junction,T-Gap, Pueblo), so no need to make things easier. This is a trail, and it was built to take into account the natural obstacles, but it does need to be maintained and cleaned up on occasion. It does need some flow, and judicious rocks might be required to make that work, without dumbing it down. Look at the trails that work properly on the Lunch Loops by Grand Junction. Holy Cross is very much like T-Gap, but proper use of rocks keep it flowing, but it's still very technical.

mtbr member

Thanks,

NO MORE 29'er LINES!!!!
    Somebody better get me a stamp...I'm gonna send it

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Offer some pictures or info on where the stacking is happening...

Please, Please quit stacking!-rockbalance0005g.jpg