skillz to pay billz

of platforms and bears

Good thing for deadfall or I probably would not have heard these two bears walking up the trail. They headed up the steep hill and watched me for a while but no incident. Love seeing these guys out there. My phones camera make it look twice as far away.

Also trying out some platforms on the extended climb out. pretty good except for some new muscles that apparently don't get used with clipless. nice on the ripping decent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nOOby; 06-10-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Thread Terrorist

Best wildlife post eva!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Nice pics! Is that in the Ned area?

My 2 cents: if you're considering platforms and like Crank Brothers, I've been loving my Acid 2s. I put them on my AM bike to test them before putting them on my DH rig but they've found a permanent home.

drinks from the fountain

moose,elk,mountain lion,bobcat,ferret,sheep,goats, I want to see a bear !

Cool! A bear outside of Jellystone.
    Never saw a bear on a ride. Plenty of choke cherry pit poop but no bear!
    Fun fun fun
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    My 2 cents: if you're considering platforms and like Crank Brothers, I've been loving my Acid 2s. I put them on my AM bike to test them before putting them on my DH rig but they've found a permanent home.
    I think he's referring to flats given that he describes working a new muscle group.

nOOby, if you are using flats (or clipless for that matter), do yourself a favor and stay as far away from Crank Brothers as possible. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean it functions well.

I love seeing black bears on the trail. You don't bother them and stay far away from cubs, and they won't bother you. I think we're both equally curious of each other.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

skillz to pay billz
    I got some sun ringle magnesium pedals for pretty cheap so thats what I'll be using for now. After a false start with some CB Mallets I'm pretty stoked. Not too heavy, good grip. Probably not going to use on longer climby rides but fun to have the option.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    That's a stump yah n00B!

Outcast
    Nooby, if it's something you can post; where/what trail, or general area were you on/in?

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    That's a stumpy yah n00B!
    Last edited by nOOby; 06-11-2009 at 09:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I saw a black bear cub on the fire road heading up Vail last year, but took off ASAP because I didn't want to find myself between the cub and mom. No pics sorry. Damn cute fur ball though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just saw a moose last night, sat and watched it eating new growth for a while. Cool.

And a bobcat in my driveway last week come to think of it. Wet spring= lots o' critters about.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Wildlife is awesome, just scares me at times!

hehe ...you said "member"
    saw a black bear riding the "road" going up waterton canyon last year with my kids. Funny, only time I've seen one is on a totally crowded ride on a weekend - mid morning, while riding with the family ... who'da thunk it?
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member

Lory bear

I almost literally ran into a male in Lory on West Valley on a CX ride last week. Very exiting and cool. Thank god it wasn't a mom with cubs! Pics are to big to post.

skillz to pay billz
    another great evening out there. love me some decomposed granite. 30 minute after the deluge, trails were nice and tacky

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I got some sun ringle magnesium pedals for pretty cheap so thats what I'll be using for now. After a false start with some CB Mallets I'm pretty stoked. Not too heavy, good grip. Probably not going to use on longer climby rides but fun to have the option.
    Yeah, platforms are way fun to throw in the mix. Not good for long climbs, but I hate tryin to find my way back into my clips when I'm on techyness, or when outrunning a bear.

I run Sunlines on the Reign..... cheap and effective, and some Sam Hill 5/10s from chainlove. Great combo, I think a comf shoe is key.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

not actually bad :)
    I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.
    OK, maybe I am...
    What's the diff. between platforms and flats?

Cool bear pic.
    beewee, resize and post!

I've seen bears twice at White Ranch (both on Mustang), and once at Meyer Ranch off 285 - right on the main trail before you get into the trees.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.
    OK, maybe I am...
    What's the diff. between platform and flats?

Platform is a shock damping people with full squish bikes use to control bobbing on climbs, but you wouldn't know anything about that.

These are flats: 3 of these + 2 spare tubes = 1 long hike back to the car

skillz to pay billz
    one in the same I guess. apologies if I used the wrong word.

skillz to pay billz
    from Wikipedia:

In mountain biking and BMX, platform pedals typically refer to any flat pedal without a cage. MTB and BMX riders prefer platforms to cage pedals because they offer more grip using short metal studs, are rounder and do less damage to a rider's shins and ankles during an accident. Cage pedals often scrape skin and flesh off the shin if the rider stops short and loses footing of the pedal.

slow
    Saw a black bear just across the water from the lower Horsetooth Mountain Park parking lot a week ago today. I love to see them out there, too. You are correct. The phone camera makes it look much farther away.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Saw a black bear just across the water from the lower Horsetooth Mountain Park parking lot a week ago today. I love to see them out there, too. You are correct. The phone camera makes it look much farther away.

You're right I can't even see it That would be so cool !

I've seen turkeys, bobcats, Mtn Lions, grouse, rattlesnakes,porcupines,etc..... up there, but never a bear !

Do you remember the BIG KITTY and her cubs that used to hang out around the junction of Horsetooth/Horsetooth Rock and the split to West Ridge and Wathen ? I'd saw her 2-3 times a spring, a couple of years in a row, probably ~ ' 86/7

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ooooh, bears! Here's a pic of my bear encounter in Yosemite, stupid foreigner that I am I didn't even think to back away heh...

skillz to pay billz
    OMG

what nice teeth you have
    Yahoo article on increasing bear encounters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090613/...ear_encounters