Registered Jong

New question here. planning a trip to colorado

A couple friends of mine and myself are planning a trip out to colorado sometime this summer. We were looking to do a little downhill/ski resort areas. I was wodering what are the rates per day(lift tickets), what would be a good time of summer to go and what are the best areas to go. I am not an expert but I think I could hold my own on the moutain as far as jumps, drops and or freeride obstacles.

VooDoo user.
    Winter park was built by the same people that did Whistler BC. Not sure about rates. I think it gets rolling around june and goes thru Sept but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

n00b eternal
    It really depends on where you want to ride in the old CO. It's a big state with quite a few places to ride.

The premiere resort to ride at for most of the state is Keystone. Read the "Keystone Trail Plans" thread. They have long DH runs, rock gardens, ladder bridges, teeters, and this year it's supposed to be even better: big drops, more stunts... who knows? Up and down the front range there are all kinds of spots. If you venture down to the Springs we have some super long DH runs (4 hours), natural rock drops, a bike park (with more on the way), dirt jumps (not as many as once upon a time)... lots of technical terrain and a few local secrets.

There is great riding in Boulder and I have been told in the Evergreen area as well, but I have not had any experience there.

Winter Park also opens up the resort to bikes, but have yet to build any serious stunts. When I first got into this type of riding (99 or so) they did have one decent DH run, but to my knowledge it's pretty tame singletrack riding. Weak sauce.

I am sure there will be plenty of other info.

Registered Jong
    thanks guys for the info that really helped, I didnt know that stuff like that only opened in mid june.

VooDoo user.
    Mud season takes a while to dry up. Then they get to go out and do maintinence. Also refine existing trails. Hell A-Basin ski area usually doesn't close til july.

Dr. Porkenheimer

Getting high

If you want to ride high up (above 10,000 feet) you want to plan your trip after July 4th, or possibly later. The snow in the high country takes a long time to melt, meaning the season up high is mid-July to end of August (had snow Labor Day weekend while camping near Aspen). Many areas have had above average snowfall this year, so that might mean an even later start to the season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Evergreen area riding for out of towners

Oops, meant to click on "new thread". Duh!
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com