mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Planning a Trip To Boulder/Denver

Well, it's that time of year to look forward to spring break (that is if you're a college student and haven't had a vacation in years).

Anyhow me and a friend are planning a trip out west (we're from Chicagoland area) to visit Denver, Boulder, Fruita, and Moab. It'll be around a 10 day trip, and we're planning to spend 1-2 days in each of these areas, and what I was wondering is....

Hows the weather and riding conditions in Boulder/Denver around late march? Will we be expecting to ride in the snow? I've looked up previous temps, and they seem relatively high (at least for chicago), but if we're riding in the mountains should we expect snow?

I know this is pretty vauge, but if anyone could help me out that'd be great.
    Also, if you guys have any trails you reccomend that'd be sweet too. We're fairly expierienced riders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Weather around that time of year is totally unpredictable in all of the places you listed. You might end up in feet of snow, it might be 70* and sunny, clear, and dry. You might want to think about going in May instead.

Feb/March are usually the biggest snow months in Colorado, I usually plan my families ski trips around this. It will be cold as hell at night in Fruita/Moab although less liklihood of snow in Boulder/Denver. No guarantee anything will be rideable then.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    End of April early May would be much better for mtn biking and you could hit up the Fruita Fat tire festival.

HAve a great trip.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Alright, I'll take a look into it. Our spring break is the last week of march . Maybe we'll have to wait until summertime to take a trip.

Thanks for the info guys.

friend of Apex
    Fruita and Moab are usually good in spring. Watch the weather and pick a spot to hit, spend less time driving from spot - to - spot. You could easily spend a week in any place listed and have good riding.

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Planning to bike on the front range in late March is a bad idea. Planning to ski is a better idea.