Thread: Planning a trip

backwoods and backwards

Planning a trip

We have a week in VAIL, CO and a week to travel around by car in the same area next summer. What two weeks during the summer months do you recommend? We are intermediates and like to ride 2-3 hours. What rides should we not miss? Best place to rent bikes? The first week will be the driving week and the second staying in a resort in VAIL. Flying into Denver.
    Last edited by MOJO K; 11-04-2007 at 01:12 PM.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Inflexable...
    There is no Vale, Colorado...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is a Vail, where I sssume you are going. I have not ridden up there yet but have hiked and seen some of the bike trail. The terrain is amazing and you can spend all day on them. I'm sure others will post up.

Call the local bike shops, buy, and have them send you a map of the trails or pick one up at REI or online. Call the shops to at least get some trail names.

There are sites (trailspace, etc.) you can visit. Also, type in (Google/Yahoo) things like:

Vail singletrack
    Vail mountain biking
    Other similar terms

Then you will start getting more familiar with the trails and how long/steep they are. I gotta tell you- it has some of the best terrain for hiking and biking I have ever seen. The scenery is stunning as well. Just get your cardio in shape. It's high, O2 is more rare, and you will get winded fast. If you're riding 2-3 hrs now, up that to 4-5 hours of hard riding over time and you will be able to enjoy 2-4 hours of riding at Vail without feeling completely destroyed.