Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Planning a Trestle Winter park trip July 2014 - I need some Bike/gear advice please

Hey everyone,

I am planning a Bike Park trip with my best friend this year and will be heading out to Trestle Bike Park area (Winter Park) around the 2nd or 3rd week in July 2014.

We mainly ride around the St. louis area at some state parks which is pretty much "All Mountain Biking" some downhills but nothing even close to Colorado terrain.

So were thinking we need some better gear for safety since i'm sure we will be hitting bigger drops/ramps than we ever have before...ya know just in case....

I'm in the market for:

Neck Brace
    Jacket
    BIKE (I have a Giant hard tail at the moment but need a Full suspension)

I researched neck braces, Leatt, EVS Evolution and Alpinestars BNF. Man there is a ton of info, contradictions, varying opinions etc and I am LOST on which to get. I hear the Leatt is better, looked at the DBR Comp 4 but at $350 that is pricey, anyone run the leatt adventure brace which is much cheaper?

Also looking for some body armor, thought about the Fox Titan but it isn't very compatible with the neck braces. Maybe thor?

I ALSO NEED A NEW MOUNTAIN BIKE!!!

My buddy has the Giant XO, 6.7" of travel etc, I rode it quite a bit last year and I really like it. IS there another comparable bike to the Giant XO in another brand I should consider, looking for used as I don;t want to drop 4K+, somewhere between 12-1500 (Found an XO for 1200).

What gear do you run when hitting up this park, we also plan to hit SolVista and possibly Keystone but i'm not sure how far away that is yet. Still planning it all out.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Trestle?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yah Trestle, my fault. Fixed it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Not sure if this is beneath you but you could always rent. Trestle's gear packages include body armor but I'm not sure about neck braces. As for the bike, renting probably makes more sense. You'll get a much nicer bike than whats in your price range that works well out here and won't go to waste in St. Louis (no offense of course).

Keystone is about 1:20 from WP. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    Not sure if this is beneath you but you could always rent. Trestle's gear packages include body armor but I'm not sure about neck braces. As for the bike, renting probably makes more sense. You'll get a much nicer bike than whats in your price range that works well out here and won't go to waste in St. Louis (no offense of course).

Keystone is about 1:20 from WP. Good luck.
    Is the Giant XO not a good bike for Colorado? Do you need more of a DH bike for these parks? What does everyone ride out there?

The reason i'd rather not rent is so that I can be comfortable on my own bike and equipment. I'm sure I will be doing bigger drops/ramps than ever before so i'd rather be on a bike I am experienced on already.

Keystone sounds good, not to far away at 1hr 20 min so we will be adding that into our trip.

Keep on Rockin...
    Depends....

Personally I hate armor and full faces. So I just skipped some of the biggest features. Rode all but maybe 2 trails there. Used a 2011 Stumpy FSR 29er with a 275 out back. At times the bike felt underforked but overall it was good. I did mash a knee on a fall.

If I get to go back this year I'll take my 275 wheels on a 6" travel bike. I'd say that'd be perfect.

In about 20 years of mountain the 2 most fun days of riding I had were probably at Trestle.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Rent rent rent! Brand new bikes u can beat the heck out of, only takes one run to get used to it, dont have to drag your crap all over the US, all the gear is included, multiple bikes to choose from,damage waiver is like only $10 so go ahead and try to double that jump, save a bunch of money not buying crap you will only use once! No brainer!!!

Goat Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Rent rent rent! Brand new bikes u can beat the heck out of, only takes one run to get used to it, dont have to drag your crap all over the US, all the gear is included, multiple bikes to choose from,damage waiver is like only $10 so go ahead and try to double that jump, save a bunch of money not buying crap you will only use once! No brainer!!!
    As a season ticket owner of three years, it seems that renting is a good way to go. One price for the bike, armor, and lift ticket, somewhere around 80-100$.

The three most visited parks are Winter Park, Keystone, and Granby Ranch (previously known as Sol Vista). Winter Park is the buffist. Limited rock gardens and step sections. Keystone is the exact opposite. Great for the Rock Brawler in you. Rough most of the way down and a good handful of steeps. Granby is somewhere in between as pertaining to technicality. Winter Park and Keystone's runs are really long. You will most likely pause throughout your runs in key spots. At Granby, you typically go from top to bottom with its shorter, fun runs. JUMPS: Winter Park and, as of recently, Granby are 99% table tops. Keystone uses a good chunk of true doubles.

I like Winter Park the best. I've ridden there on multiple DH rigs, All Mountain both 26 and 29. Whatever. Fun, flowy, long jump lines, berms, etc. I go to Keystone about once a year for the contrast. All three offer package deals on tickets and gear.

There is plenty of free camping in the national forests around the region.

If you end up bringing you trail bike, you will be pleased to know that there are hundred of miles to XC in the Summit county area.

Crested Butte, Telluride, Steamboat, Snowmass, Vail, and then Angel Fire down in New Mexico are all great places for lift access. They are all different, but fun nonetheless.

I think I have forgotten the original question...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You would be fine on the Giant XO, and you'll see people riding all kinds of stuff up there. As long as the bike your on is not a Wal-Mart build and you know how to handle it well, it's always a blast! With that said, if you're really going to go all out and hit the big drops and fly down the blacks, nothing beats a bad ass dh bike. So if that's you, I completely agree with waafoo. Rent. Especially since you can't really enjoy a full dh bike back in StLou. But if you really want that Giant XO, and end up getting one, it will handle any run at Trestle. Do get yourself atleast knee and elbow pads and a good helmet or the full kit if you're going all out (all comes with rental package - another reason to rent if you're only there for a couple days)

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I presume you're talking about a Giant *Reign* X0?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
    Is the Giant XO not a good bike for Colorado? Do you need more of a DH bike for these parks? What does everyone ride out there?

The reason i'd rather not rent is so that I can be comfortable on my own bike and equipment. I'm sure I will be doing bigger drops/ramps than ever before so i'd rather be on a bike I am experienced on already.

Keystone sounds good, not to far away at 1hr 20 min so we will be adding that into our trip.
    The Reign will be a perfect bike for Trestle, even more fun than a full on DH bike. I way prefer my Specy Enduro 29 to my 2012 Demo 8 at the park. keystone?, Demo 8 please, although it will still be fun on the Reign : )

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I presume you're talking about a Giant *Reign* X0?
    Yes, I am talking about buying the Giant Reign XO. Is there another band bike similar to this bike that I should consider?

I want something that will handle Colorado but also something I can ride and enjoy in St. Louis. I only have a hardtail Giant Yukon... so no matter what I need a new bike this year.

It's either the XO which can take on some DH terrain or something like the Giant Trance X2 style - all mountain bike, but I don't think that would be nearly enough for Colorado park trips.

This will not be our only trip, My wife and I are going to Moab this year also to ride and may hit up Colorado around memorial day also. So possibly 3 bike trips this year. Possibly returning year after year if my buddy and I dig it, which I am sure we will from what you guys are saying!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the help so far! I'm getting a lot of good info here.
    We may even Camp like one of you suggested, I was wondering about the availability, so knowing it is available is great. I also like bringing bikes because it gives us the option to go ride anything, anywhere, anytime. This will probably be 4-5 days of riding different parks, maybe 2 days at Trestle, 1 day at Keystone, 1 at SolVista and hit up a few XC trails in the Summit County area like "SomethingRelatedToBiking" suggested.

Any really good camping areas that are scenic looking, we may even do some fishing while were up there for the times when we're to tired to MTB.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yes, I am talking about buying the Giant Reign XO. Is there another band bike similar to this bike that I should consider?

I want something that will handle Colorado but also something I can ride and enjoy in St. Louis. I only have a hardtail Giant Yukon... so no matter what I need a new bike this year.

It's either the XO which can take on some DH terrain or something like the Giant Trance X2 style - all mountain bike, but I don't think that would be nearly enough for Colorado park trips.

This will not be our only trip, My wife and I are going to Moab this year also to ride and may hit up Colorado around memorial day also. So possibly 3 bike trips this year. Possibly returning year after year if my buddy and I dig it, which I am sure we will from what you guys are saying!
    So you want a do-it-all bike? The Reign-X is probably as close as you're going to get... but I'd wager it will be HUGE overkill for St. Louis. You should probably get a bike appropriate for St. Louis and rent a DH bike when you go to the bike parks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    So you want a do-it-all bike? The Reign-X is probably as close as you're going to get... but I'd wager it will be HUGE overkill for St. Louis. You should probably get a bike appropriate for St. Louis and rent a DH bike when you go to the bike parks.
    Yah I am pretty sure I am not going to rent this year.

I am ok with the XO being overkill for ST. Louis, we have bottomed out my buddies XO a few times on some drops around here already, it's tougher on the uphill climbs but with an adjustable seat post and lock out to climb it's not too bad.

I will do some more looking around but so far the Reign XO seems to be the way to go so far. Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What gear do you guys run when hitting up these parks? We currently have full face helmets and shin/knee guards.

Chest protector?
    Neck Brace? Anyone tried out the EVS Evolution or the Leatt adventure brace?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yah I am pretty sure I am not going to rent this year.

I am ok with the XO being overkill for ST. Louis, we have bottomed out my buddies XO a few times on some drops around here already, it's tougher on the uphill climbs but with an adjustable seat post and lock out to climb it's not too bad.

I will do some more looking around but so far the Reign XO seems to be the way to go so far. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I'd suggest you look at the Trance-SX (Reign replacement) and Trance-X as well from the new Giant offerings. Might be more suitable as an all-around for someone that spends most of their riding time in the Midwest.

Motion activated
    I have a Leatt neck brace. Not sure which one, but it was ~ $350 IIRC.

The biggest problem with a brace/chest protector/helmet/backpack is getting everything to work together and still have the needed range of motion. For that reason I ended up buying into the Leatt system and bought their compatible chest protector (which is great because it does not have a zip down the middle of your chest).

But make sure you test everything together before you commit to buying. Also read how to fit the brace properly before going into the store. The "expert" I bought from fitted me to the wrong size. It has to fit well to protect you and there is a fine line to achieving correct fit and good range of motion.

Full disclosure: I've never ridden my MTB with the brace or the chest protector - I use them for moto in the high country where it's always below 75 degs.

Reign's are great for Colorado as they take the square edge hits REALLY well.

For years I used a 6" travel Reign for XC and DH. I just changed out the pedals for flats when I hit the resorts, otherwise the same bike did well for everything.

I haven't been to the resorts in a long time, so maybe take my experiences with a grain of salt. These pics are from 05/06'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Planning a Trestle Winter park trip July 2014 - I need some Bike/gear advice please-sol-vista-010.jpg  

Planning a Trestle Winter park trip July 2014 - I need some Bike/gear advice please-keystone.jpg  

Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    awesome pics man!!!! Is that a Reign, or a Reign X. I have Both and Love my 6" Reign, but the X has the 67 degree tube vs the 69. so maybe better for downhill? Do you by chance know what the bike in the pics is?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin Johnny View Post
    awesome pics man!!!! Is that a Reign, or a Reign X. I have Both and Love my 6" Reign, but the X has the 67 degree tube vs the 69. so maybe better for downhill? Do you by chance know what the bike in the pics is?
    By 2010 the Reign was down to 68 - they slacked it out even more in 2011 to 67.5.

The Trance-SX, which is the current 6" AM sled, is at 66 (it's actually slacker than the new Reign-X). The lines are blurring...

Motion activated
    Thanks. It's a 05' Reign frame with all custom parts. I put a lyric 160mm fork on it which slacked it out some, but also raised the bottom bracket (too high!!). I was looking to swap it out for an X frame, but I started a family instead.

Must be nice to have the choice between either Reign

I'd love to have that bronze/gold anno Reign X frame. Reminds me of that 80's aluminum SE racing BMX that I lusted after as a kid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Sweet!! we have the same Bike. My Reign is an 05' as well. possibly 06 but its the exact same color too. I too pimped her out with mostly Shimano components, and am going for a Talas RLC fork to complete her. with the adjustable seat post, it feels like its the ultimate All around bike. It actually makes my 08 Reign XO seem pointless to have. Basically two of the same bike. I think it might be a good idea too sell the XO, and buy a more dh specific rig for when we go out west, and keep Beyonce ( the 05 reign) for around here. hmmmmmmmm

Motion activated
    IIRC there was a mod for the early reigns to get 6.7" of travel. Basically you had to replace the shock with another with the same i-2-i but slightly longer stoke.

They are great for the fast, steep front range trails. Now that I live up in the mountains, it might be overkill for trail riding and underkill for the resorts.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    IIRC there was a mod for the early reigns to get 6.7" of travel. Basically you had to replace the shock with another with the same i-2-i but slightly longer stoke.
    I'm pretty sure you could do this with *all* the Reigns - up to the most recent. I think the pierced-DT models limited the shocks you could use due to the issue with the piggyback on a lot of shocks hitting the frame. I got a coil Fox Van to up my travel to 6.7" (7.875x2.25)... but more importantly - to get rid of that $HIT Fox DHX air can...

They are great for the fast, steep front range trails. Now that I live up in the mountains, it might be overkill for trail riding and underkill for the resorts.
    No way.
    Last edited by SkaredShtles; 03-15-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Motion activated
    Good to know SS. I had my fox air shock doctored by PUSH to good effect, but I think a coil would have been better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast