Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    crashes in parkinglot

Planning ahead here: Golden Gate State Park ride, 29th or 30th

Any one interested in doing a fairly long ride? Usually i end up doing just Mountain Lion (fun in itself ) but i want to explore a bit more and see what else there is out there to ride. Want get up there before it start to get too warm out in the open and on the climbs. I'm open to either day, will probably park at the bottom of Mountain Lion (or which ever parking lot is closest).

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Any one interested in doing a fairly long ride? Usually i end up doing just Mountain Lion (fun in itself ) but i want to explore a bit more and see what else there is out there to ride. Want get up there before it start to get too warm out in the open and on the climbs. I'm open to either day, will probably park at the bottom of Mountain Lion (or which ever parking lot is closest).

i'm game. the 29th works better for me, but i could do the 30 if we get going early enough (got to work that night)

there is a pretty nice way to do a large figure eight loop of the entire park, while hitting the majority of good stuff in the right direction. i've always done it from the visitors center, but could just as easily be done from the bottom of mtn. lion, so as to spare us having to climb back up at the end.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

crashes in parkinglot
    I'm open to whatever, just want to ride, take pics, and have a good time.
    29th is good for me as well.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I'm racing on the road on the 29th but might be up for the 30th. Never done that ride, what's it like?
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member

hmmm...

i'll be watching this thread this week for sure...

had a blast on mtn lion last weekend and am craving more (and longer).

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

crashes in parkinglot
    I'm leaning toward the 29th (sat). Can't decide if i want to ride my Chameleon SS (32:19) or my the heavy squishy AC. Thinking the Chameleon might be the way to go if we are going to explore and if there is gonna be alot of fast smooth ST.

Starting times, i think 9am would be a good start time...
    Last edited by EricTheRed; 04-24-2006 at 11:38 AM.

I'm leaning toward the 29th (sat). Can't decide if i want to ride my Chameleon SS (32:19) or my the heavy squishy AC. Thinking the Chameleon might be the way to go if we are going to explore and if there is gonna be alot of fast smooth ST.

Through out starting times, i think 9am would be a good start time...

That would be good, if things warm up again around here.

Tough call. There is some good fast smooth stuff, but there is a lot of stuff that the AC would rock on as well. I'd push for the Cham of your two rides; your AC is pretty burly and I think you'd be hurting more on the cimbs with it than you would be on the SS. And your Cham is certainly burly enough to have fun on the rocks too.

crashes in parkinglot
    Want to get a head count... I know lots of folks are gonna be over at FFTF, so it will probably be a smaller group. But wanted to see who we should expect on Sat morning.

mtbr member
    so where exactly are you meeting at sat 9am? i cant remember which parking lot is lower mtn lion.

crashes in parkinglot
    I can't remember either so I think we will park at the main parking lot (visitors station), there is a good amount of parking there and it ensures that all rides will end with a downhill i think. Don't forget because its a state park there is a charge for parking there, last i remember it was $5, but just a warning, and its only done but car not by person so car pooling is good.

I can't remember either so I think we will park at the main parking lot (visitors station), there is a good amount of parking there and it ensures that all rides will end with a downhill i think. Don't forget because its a state park there is a charge for parking there, last i remember it was $5, but just a warning, and its only done but car not by person so car pooling is good.

i'm in. eric, i can pick you up on the way if you want.

off to bed now; back to work tonight.

Rides Uphill Slow
    I really want to ride that area but I will be helping my friend move into his new house. Actually out by you ETR. Anyways we need to ride soon.

crashes in parkinglot
    yes and have a good "night"

crashes in parkinglot
    we'll definatly hit it again this year, probably would be a good fall ride too, just beforethe first snow fall. but we'll hit it again i'm sure.

check your VM.

old skool newbie

una mas

Tonight was my first time back on the full susser in the dirt in too long. I have been commuting on a hardtail via the pavement, but as I found out, its not really the same. I am looking forward to riding more trails. I plan on tagging along Saturday morning, if y'all will have me.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy
    Tonight was my first time back on the full susser in the dirt in too long. I have been commuting on a hardtail via the pavement, but as I found out, its not really the same. I am looking forward to riding more trails. I plan on tagging along Saturday morning, if y'all will have me.

no problem!

i'd like to do a big figure 8 loop of the park; it's a good way to get the majority of the good stuff in one hit. but we'll see how much riding everyone who shows feels like.

mtbr member

9am at the visitors center?

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    i'd like to do a big figure 8 loop of the park; it's a good way to get the majority of the good stuff in one hit. but we'll see how much riding everyone who shows feels like.
    what's your best guess for time and/or mileage for this loop of which you speak?

need to talk to my riding partner-- we'll either join you or head down to buffalo creek methinks.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    what's your best guess for time and/or mileage for this loop of which you speak?

need to talk to my riding partner-- we'll either join you or head down to buffalo creek methinks.

here's a map of the place. from the visitors center, either parking there or one of many other spots, it's pretty easy to tailor a ride to whatever mileage and time you want. s;litting off to end a ride early, or go longer is prety easy, too.

what i normally do is a big figure 8 loop, ending with coming down mountain lion clockwise.

i don't think we'll be doing any super crushing pace or anything super huge mileage wise, either. come on out and ride!

old skool newbie
    this fre@kin snow/rain has really pissed me off If it keeps up it may be too wet for a 9am start

I will keep watching the weather and this thread....

crashes in parkinglot
    No more rain going on as of now (10:40 am) and the parking lot outside of work is dry. From what i remember Mountain lion follows a streem all the way down anyway. But we shall see. Looks like descent weather tomorrow 58deg as a high, partly cloudy.

Card Carrying Member
    I'm currently negotiating Sat morning activities and things are looking good...

No more rain going on as of now (10:40 am) and the parking lot outside of work is dry. From what i remember Mountain lion follows a streem all the way down anyway. But we shall see. Looks like descent weather tomorrow 58deg as a high, partly cloudy.
    i'm still in, barring nasty crap weather developing overnight.

oh yeah; we settled on 9am? or 10am? eric, you want me to pick you up in the morning?

crashes in parkinglot
    Lets keep it at 9am (especially if that helps Kware get out of the house). And so if people don't check the web we don't leave them high and dry.
    If weather turns on us tonight we might consider delaying the start time.
    If you could pick me up that would be stupendus (8am ish? if everything goes as planned)

contains quinine
    I've been watching this thread, itching to get up there with some folks.

Weather is playing with my head. Radar shows wet near there...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

The Notorious S.L.O

it has been snowing in Conifer

on and off all day. it is pretty wet, no sign of the sun, so I would expect that given that Golden Gate is at a higher elevation than me, is has gotten some snow and will probably be wet in the AM.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast