Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bacon! bacon! bacon!

Piper down!! We have a piper down!!!

WKD-RDR. Bad XC crash from the sounds of it. Nose smashed back into his melon...

GET HEALED SOON, BRUTHA!!

skillz to pay billz
    Get well soon!

What ever happened to full face XC helmets?

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Good Mojo to ya WKD!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Whatever happened to everyone going through a riding season intact?

(I made it to September 13 of last year without one crash to that date. When it's your time...)
    Last edited by xcguy; 09-01-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Hope you're doing ok WKD. Good luck and heal fast!

Living the High Life
    I just heard too. Sounds bad, cheek bones broke too. Hopefully they give him some good drugs.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Ruff stuff!!
    Trailwrecker at large

i can't type the letter s
    That sounds bad. Sorry to hear and hopeful WKD heals up given time.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Hopefully they give him some good drugs.
    pretty sure he has access(pharmacist, right?)

mtbr member
    Dooooode! Heal quick! Snow will be here soon!

You don't need a nose to go play in the snow! Just chop it off and heal up so you can let the fingers of cold smoke tickle your bean-bag!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

not actually bad :)
    OUCH!
    Hope you get better soon.

We do need the details though!
    And pix.
    Old Codger

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    pretty sure he has access(pharmacist, right?)
    Yeah, I've been messaging him this morning and asked if he gets to pick his own drugs. He said he's on Dilaudid. Its a morphine derivative. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydromorphone

So hopefully he's feeling ok right now with the pain killers.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Goofing off?
    How is the bike doing?

Heal up.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Whatever happened to everyone going through a riding season intact?

True.

Heal up, WKD.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Yeah, I've been messaging him this morning...
    Does that help? I didn't even know you were a masseuse.

Heal up quick, man...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Does that help? I didn't even know you were a masseuse.
    LOL, I missed that one.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Thank God the bike's ok!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

holding back the darkness
    Spectacular crash. I rode right past him though... I somehow missed the blood and yardsale all over the trail... BTW... watch out for the biohazard spill on SSV.
    I'm just glad we got him out (under his own power). I had my doubts.
    I have a picture... but it's a little gruesome for public consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Thank God the bike's ok!
    The bike, his hands, arms, pretty much everything of his besides his face is completely atraumatic. Luckily, his face was able to absorb the entire impact.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    The bike, his hands, arms, pretty much everything of his besides his face is completely atraumatic. Luckily, his face was able to absorb the entire impact.
    It's amazing how hard you can crash a bike and still not hurt it. Sounds like he was really lucky he didn't scratch his paint or bend a lever or something! Must of had some savings in the karma bank!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Must of had some savings in the karma bank!
    True Story.
    I've been a career medic for 10 years and have seen some messed up carnage. I'm still pretty amazed that WKD was able to walk/ride out. I had a lot of really scary @#$! running through my head about all the scary @#$! that could have been going on in his head. I'd say he's a lucky SOB, but if he were lucky he wouldn't have crashed. However... he's lucky he still knows his name, can still walk, remembers his childhood, ect...

Rolling
    That is a bummer. Heal wicked.....didn't know SSV was considered XC....even not shuttled.

(I thought for a second that this was a followup for yetigirl).

mtbr member
    Damn Homey.....pourin' some out for ya right now....

I'm sure you were pinnin' it, when it all went pear shaped
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    ouch--heal up--and I hope the scars either disappear or improve the character. sounds like a rough one.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

Hey mine healed up!

Piper down!!  We have a piper down!!!-013.jpg

Funny thing is i dont even remember spike taking that pic, was on my camera! And i didnt even partake in a safety break- ahhhhh now there was the problem!

thread is useless without pics!

Heal up wkd!!
    Last edited by PBR me!; 09-01-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

ride
    I saw a pic. I wouldn't want it posted if it was me. Subshiv is right on this one.

Now maybe a pic of the blood pool on the ground...
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Now maybe a pic of the blood pool on the ground...
    The thought occurred. But we were a little busy at the time.

ride
    Glad that you were there to help, Subliminal. Don't know what I'd have done if it was me.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Yeah, last time I talked to him he was still leaking spinal fluid out of his nose. It was a nasty crash, alright. Heal up quick! Hope the face looks familiar when it all heals up!

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Yeah, last time I talked to him he was still leaking spinal fluid out of his nose. _MK
    What?!? Holy shite! That ain't right!

Heal fully & fast!

Pivot Rider
    for half a second, I thought it was about me too -- but then realized I haven't been on a mtn bike in 5 weeks, so it couldn't have been me.....

Dilaudid didn't really help my pain at all -- now the morphine.........good stuff that! Wishing you the best WKD -- Heal fast! Your bike will be missing you and you can't let her get lonely ya know!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

I think, that as a show of support we should invade the Neuro ICU with our bikes and a bunch of wheelbarrows of dirt.... It's on the first floor and there isn't much to stop a two-wheeled platoon of well-wishers. From there we use the dirt to build a pump track around the nurses station.
    If that doesn't inspire a man to heal quick.... nothing can help him.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I think, that as a show of support we should invade the Neuro ICU with our bikes and a bunch of wheelbarrows of dirt.... It's on the first floor and there isn't much to stop a two-wheeled platoon of well-wishers. From there we use the dirt to build a pump track around the nurses station.
    If that doesn't inspire a man to heal quick.... nothing can help him.
    Seriously, is he hurt that badly he's in ICU and has spinal trauma? OP says broken nose & then a cheekbone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey, wait a minute...ICU? Tell me where he is, I'll go visit today.

Living the High Life
    He's at Boulder Community Hospital and requesting very cold hoppy beer. I stopped by yesterday and snuck 2 beers in for him. The nurse came in at one point and he stashed it under the blankets

No internet access but he has his cell phone with him, so text or call him. I'm sure he'd appreciate a visit.

Seriously, is he hurt that badly he's in ICU and has spinal trauma? OP says broken nose & then a cheekbone.
    Seriously....
    He's doing great. He's totally alert/awake and was never otherwise. He does have a series of complex facial fractures including nasal, orbital, and I *think* maxillary. Someplace in that mix he has some CSF (cerbral spinal fluid) leaking into his newly remodeled nasal cavity. As far as I know he has NO spinal trauma. It's pretty much just his face/head. He has a lot of facial swelling. He's in the ICU for observation while they wait for the fluid to stop. Leaky CSF is indicative of some sort of insult to the lining of the brain, and means that the Central Nervous System is somewhat exposed to the potential for infection (think meningitis). So he waits, hoping that the CSF stops without the need for some sort of neurosurgical intervention. Hence the Neuro ICU.
    Word is, he will then be released until the swelling recedes enough for the recon surgery to happen.
    I'm gonna head up there and drop him a computer so he can tell you all this himself.... and get back to his normal internet antics. I'm sure his account will be much more entertaining than mine.
    If he's even up there..... with luck he may be on his way out.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Seriously....
    He's doing great. He's totally alert/awake and was never otherwise. He does have a series of complex facial fractures including nasal, orbital, and I *think* maxillary. Someplace in that mix he has some CSF (cerbral spinal fluid) leaking into his newly remodeled nasal cavity. As far as I know he has NO spinal trauma. It's pretty much just his face/head. He has a lot of facial swelling. He's in the ICU for observation while they wait for the fluid to stop. Leaky CSF is indicative of some sort of insult to the lining of the brain, and means that the Central Nervous System is somewhat exposed to the potential for infection (think meningitis). So he waits, hoping that the CSF stops without the need for some sort of neurosurgical intervention. Hence the Neuro ICU.
    Word is, he will then be released until the swelling recedes enough for the recon surgery to happen.
    I'm gonna head up there and drop him a computer so he can tell you all this himself.... and get back to his normal internet antics. I'm sure his account will be much more entertaining than mine.
    Thanks. The leakage is serious no f'n bueno. I have some experience with that. Didn't realize he was that busted up.

skillz to pay billz
    Dang, this sounds crazy. Makes my little broken back seems even more minor than it was.

Again, Heal up quick WKD.

MFin' Princess
    Holy Crap! That's one tough dude.

Heal fast and best wishes.

Seriously....

i can't type the letter s
    Seriously....
    He's doing great. He's totally alert/awake and was never otherwise. He does have a series of complex facial fractures including nasal, orbital, and I *think* maxillary. Someplace in that mix he has some CSF (cerbral spinal fluid) leaking into his newly remodeled nasal cavity.
    I have a friend who had what sounds like the exact same injury. This was approx. two months ago. Ironically, being a DH rider, he wasn't injured riding his bike. He went for a regular doc visit. As he was walking out of the hospital he fainted. BAM! Nose to pavement. Spinal fluid leakage from fractured nose; reconstructed face with metal replacing bone. He was also in ICU for a week or so to check him for infection due to fluid leakage. He is still not riding and the accident was 1.5 months ago. His whistler trip was canceled for this week. But he is doing good and will be riding soon.

Depending on the severity of the injury, the outcome is probably pretty similar for WKD-RDR.

Heal Up Bro.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Damn!
    Good vibes to you WKD ... heal quick!
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Light freak
    Healing vibes going out to WKD-RDR. Hurry up and get back out there dude!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Get well soon WKD-RDR!

friend of Apex
    Thanks for the thoughts and kind words.
    Thanks for the cold beer and the moist candies.
    Thanks for the laptop, Chad.

The bike is fine. I am a bit concerned about the affect the blood will have on the clear coat down the line, however. Only time will tell, it may need a buffing. It will be resting at SueBliminals house until I can kick this runny nose.

Speaking of nose, since mine has failed... it's time to upgrade. I'll definitely be going titanium, but I cant decide on the model.

Currently thinking about the Hasselhof:

The Sean Connory:

or the Brad Pitt:

Any input is appreciated.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    or the Brad Pitt:

Any input is appreciated.

The Brad Pitt nose looks like Elmer Fudd. You should go with something more distinguished like The Penguin.

Stiff yet compliant
    You might be able to pick up some leftover noses from the Jackson estate cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

skillz to pay billz
    carrot sticks make good noses and they are cheap

ride
    Maybe something a little more fun like this... That'd be killer. Then again, you'd need nose protection. You'd die if you popped your nose in another fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I went and paid my respects today. We took turns punching the button on his heavydutydrugdrip. "The Collective" was on continuous replay on his room DVD player. He seemed to be leaning towards the Michael Jackson look for his new nose.

As he described it "I was just riding along when..." A couple of nurses came in and out of his room while we talked. They'd glance up at "The Collective" and really couldn't understand what was going on. I tried to explain "that's Andrew Shandro maintaining his speed while drifting through those corners" but it fell on deaf ears.

Heal up, man, we're all pulling for you.

Thread Terrorist
    Wow, I am just now catching up on MTBR related topics. Heal up Wkd, we love you. 2010 has been a year of the injuries.... at almost 4 months later from my accident, I finally rode a bike. In the meantime, I've been building that bike park.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast