Almost Human
    Sep 2007

Pikes Peak Highway Open to Bikes 9/1 to 9/30

Very Cool.
    Your chance to ride up PP Hwy and down Barr Trail.

"The city and the United States Forest Service have just announced that cyclists will be able to ride the peak from Sept. 4 through 30. "

Bikes allowed on Pikes Peak during test period | IndyBlog

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I noticed that riders must sign a liability waiver. Is this because of a risk of cyclist riding off the mountain or being hit by cars? I have never driven to the top of Pikes Peak so I don't know what the traific is like. Do motorists have to sign a liability waiver?

mtbr member
    Time for some hill repeats.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Very cool! Anyone want to hit that and then Barr down? I will be very slow, but it is something I've always wanted to do. Maybe if they have it open again next summer...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoman View Post
    I noticed that riders must sign a liability waiver. Is this because of a risk of cyclist riding off the mountain or being hit by cars? I have never driven to the top of Pikes Peak so I don't know what the traific is like. Do motorists have to sign a liability waiver?
    I've only driven up it for the car hill climb race as a spectator, but didn't have to sign any waivers for that. I'm guessing it's a combo of both of what you said... idiotic drivers and the fact you can just ride off the side of the mountain and tumble a long ways down.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoman View Post
    The PP Hwy is owned/maintained by the City of CS.

With that said the City is self-insured and liability is always the #1 concern whether it be justified or not. I think it also goes along with some of the recent actions to remove bike improvements from the transportation budget. i.e. "don't you know you're just a man child on your toy bike."

mtbr member
    Since we're on the topic now, a couple friends and I are thinking about getting a drop off this Friday and riding down Barr. Has anyone done this without riding to the top? Any info on routes to take once you're clear of Barr Camp would also be helpful...

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    Since we're on the topic now, a couple friends and I are thinking about getting a drop off this Friday and riding down Barr. Has anyone done this without riding to the top? Any info on routes to take once you're clear of Barr Camp would also be helpful...
    Yes, I've done the Pikes Peak shuttle (many many years ago). I came down Barr Trail, the whole way. Another time, I shuttled Elk Park and then turned left off of Barr Trail somewhere shortly after Barr Camp. Maybe through the experimental forest, then down some road with huge jumps, and finished on the Ute Indian Trail. That was fun and would have much less traffic than Barr Trail near the bottom.

Sorry that can't remember the route in more detail, but it is worth looking at that exit as an alternative.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    "Bob's Road" is the cutoff, about 2 miles below Barr Camp that gets you to the Experimental Forest Road - still full of as much air as you care to get. It is way better than taking Barr to the bottom, fighting switchbacks and hikers. From the bottom of Experimental Forest, Take the Pipeline back to Manitou. Check the skyrunners or other websites for GPX tracks on "Bob's Road", it is hard to find, but very well defined once on it. A few weeks ago a couple of us rode up to Elk Park and watched the PPHC race and dropped back down. 3.5 hours up. 1.5 hours down. I went light - several bikepackers went up to spend the night - ouch - 6K' of climb with that kind of weight is super honest. I've never ridden down from the top - only from Elk Park - I'll leave that for others familiar with it.

I'll be up there road riding it (on the mtb) at least once and dropping off! Not sure when yet, but interested in going.
    Jon

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Found a track from last year. Bob's road to the Experimental Forest (Long's Ranch) and Pipeline are the loop that goes North of the main track. Notice we did not complete this ride back to Monument - had enough with a mechanical or two, and tons of water filtering due to the temps. 40mph sustained winds watching the race, it was a maelstrom of blowing wind above Elk Park. We arrived back to Manitou and with 30mph NW winds and 90 degrees, we chose Greg's truck and cold beer vs fighting that killer North.

2011 Pikes Peak Hill Climb by jnordby at Garmin Connect - Details

Enjoy that downhill, it is a ripper and way better than lower Barr - by far. You get quite a view of the Waldo burn scar taking that route as well.

Jon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    "Bob's road" can be accessed higher then the Experimental Forest turn off. Past Barr Camp....past next signed junction on left....workin your way down. Slight uphill to flat and wide trail, then a little more up. Keep lookin to your left, uphill in a stand of Ponderosa pine. Look for ATV tracks leaving Barr and heading over the ridge. S&R use this from the road to access Barr Trail. If you miss it......you descend down the ridge, switchbacks, past a "cave" and to the turnoff for the Experimental Forest. If you find it.....keeps you from climbing back up and over from EF.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Good directions Mojo - note they are as you are going downhill. However - there were no ATV tracks to be seen on Aug 12. In fact, on the way up, one of our group noticed slash/deadfall had been placed across the entrance obscuring the entrance even more.