mtbr member

Pikes Peak Descent

My wife hiked up Pikes Peak on Weds. I met her at the top, handed her the keys to the truck and headed down.
    Smalllll issue with the rear derailleur 4 miles into it.
    Not having any pedal feedback is a #$%^&!!
    Just a quick video. Nothing special as I wasn't taking the time to set up any static shots.

Enjoy:

[IMG]

Pikes Peak from Brian Brandow on Vimeo.

[/IMG]

I'm with stupid
    Looks fun thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wow that's pretty cool! I hiked down two years ago, and it took forever, and I was so hungry at the end that I wanted to eat my own face off. I imagine that coming down on a bike would be a lot more fun.

What were you riding? How long did it take you? Did any hikers give you any crap on the way down?

mtbr member
    Wow nice work. Is that the Barr Trail? It looks like if you could ride that, you could ride just about anything. Pretty intense. Are you aware of many people riding up or down?

mtbr member
    Riding an Intense 5.5 with a Talas 140 up front.
    No issues with hikers but I left around 2:30 on purpose. Most of the hikers I dealt with, I was still walking the bike down at the top. Did give half the water in my bladder to an older lady who ran out and was about a mile from the top-didn't figure I would need it. Hit some a few around Barr Camp then more below the incline. It was a Weds and later in the afternoon to avoid those issues.
    I know there were two girls riding a head of me because when I hit the gate, the lady at the gate advised me they were going to do the same thing; and you can see in the video at the top a lot of bike trails in the granite gravel. I know there is a shuttle company that does that shuttle. Honestly, you're better off starting at the camp that is just below the top. Like I said, there is a lot of HAB the first mile.
    I actually got a headache pretty bad within the first mile. Wasn't acclimated like I get when I hike up and the HAB was more strenuous than I would have estimated.
    I would like to try to go up some day but I'll try that on the Spider vs the 5.5.
    My forearms and back were pretty tired from always pointing downhill and breaking.
    Fun, glad I did it, might do it again.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Looks Fun. Been wanting to hit Barr for some time now. Definitely during the week to avoid the masses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings View Post
    Riding an Intense 5.5 with a Talas 140 up front.
    No issues with hikers but I left around 2:30 on purpose. Most of the hikers I dealt with, I was still walking the bike down at the top. Did give half the water in my bladder to an older lady who ran out and was about a mile from the top-didn't figure I would need it. Hit some a few around Barr Camp then more below the incline. It was a Weds and later in the afternoon to avoid those issues.
    I know there were two girls riding a head of me because when I hit the gate, the lady at the gate advised me they were going to do the same thing; and you can see in the video at the top a lot of bike trails in the granite gravel. I know there is a shuttle company that does that shuttle. Honestly, you're better off starting at the camp that is just below the top. Like I said, there is a lot of HAB the first mile.
    I actually got a headache pretty bad within the first mile. Wasn't acclimated like I get when I hike up and the HAB was more strenuous than I would have estimated.
    I would like to try to go up some day but I'll try that on the Spider vs the 5.5.
    My forearms and back were pretty tired from always pointing downhill and breaking.
    Fun, glad I did it, might do it again.
    Thanks for all the info! You're a sadist if you want to (or at least thinking of) going up. I'll certainly have to look into that shuttle, since I was kinda planning to take the COG up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice!

I rode up and down it a few years ago. Started around 6am and back to Manitou around 1-2pm. After the A-frame, I was neck-n-neck with a trail runner. We took turns passing each other the rest of the way to the top. The hikers I passed were all very friendly and many gave me kudos for even trying to ride up it. The trail above treeline was definitely a mind-game when it came to good decision-making on what to attempt to ride and what to walk. I think altitude and fatigue play into the higher difficulty in decision-making.

It wasn't as bad as you'd think for being close to 7500 ft up in roughly 13 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
    Nice!

I rode up and down it a few years ago. Started around 6am and back to Manitou around 1-2pm. After the A-frame, I was neck-n-neck with a trail runner. We took turns passing each other the rest of the way to the top. The hikers I passed were all very friendly and many gave me kudos for even trying to ride up it. The trail above treeline was definitely a mind-game when it came to good decision-making on what to attempt to ride and what to walk. I think altitude and fatigue play into the higher difficulty in decision-making.

It wasn't as bad as you'd think for being close to 7500 ft up in roughly 13 miles.
    hardtail, SS, full squeshy?
    don't know if I should take the 5.5, Spider or the SS (I know, I know...the SS would be CRAZY!!!)

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Hmmmm, I have gone down it in 1hour and 15 min on the dh rig.... up bar to the experimental forest in 1 hour....Never really thought of doing the whole thing up and down! Iv got to try that, last weekend in August it is! I can't wait!!Thanks for the idea

Quote Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
    Nice!

Fat Biker
    [QUOTE=muddywings... (I know, I know...the SS would be CRAZY!!!)[/QUOTE]

man... I erally need to get down there and try out those SS trails people all talk about riding...

someday I should try out one of those geared bikes people talk about
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I used to live in a cottage on the Barr trail but I've never biked down from the top of the Peak. I want to try that... looks fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings View Post
    hardtail, SS, full squeshy?
    don't know if I should take the 5.5, Spider or the SS (I know, I know...the SS would be CRAZY!!!)
    It was a full squish 4x4 Kona Dawg. Not the lightest, but comfortable for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    We did Barr Camp and back last month on a Saturday. A weekday would be better but everyone we passed on the way up were also very friendly. On a weekend heading down, it would be better to skip the lower 3 miles (the W's below No-Name Creek) and head to the Experimental Forest/Longs Ranch Road/Ute Pass Trail. It would be too much stop-start with that much traffic on the lower part of the trail to be any fun. From Barr camp down we had just one runner who wouldn't let us pass. The host of Barr Camp also asks if we can all slow down a little coming through the Barr Camp area - there's usually people hanging around the Camp and Trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    We were there this summer on a family road trip. Took the cog railroad up. Pretty cool little trip. Will the railroad sell you a 1 way pass with your bike?

My wife bought some of the fresh donuts at the top and my kids where getting winded trying to walk around and eat. I cant imagine riding at that altitude (not uphill anyway).

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    Up and down is an epic ride--I did it back in the day (circa 1993) and I remember it was a fair amount of hike a bike. I was thinking about doing the "assault on the peak" next week on the 28th on my epic fs and then riding back down barr trail......not sure if that would be better than just turning around and heading back down the road. Any takers?

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bena1916 View Post
    Up and down is an epic ride--I did it back in the day (circa 1993) and I remember it was a fair amount of hike a bike. I was thinking about doing the "assault on the peak" next week on the 28th on my epic fs and then riding back down barr trail......not sure if that would be better than just turning around and heading back down the road. Any takers?
    Hmmmm, that almost sounds better, except the $200 entry fee. I would have to do it on my hardtail29er (no road bike)......Manitou to the summit would be sick and the road is closed to cars! Sponsors??? Anybody want to sponsor???

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    We were there this summer on a family road trip. Took the cog railroad up. Pretty cool little trip. Will the railroad sell you a 1 way pass with your bike?

My wife bought some of the fresh donuts at the top and my kids where getting winded trying to walk around and eat. I cant imagine riding at that altitude (not uphill anyway).
    What I've found with biking to altitude is that I acclimate as I go. If you can acclimate to CO Spgs and are in decent shape you should be okay at a granny gear pace.

I do great (acclimating) on the bike, not so much hiking for some reason.
    Searching for Biketopia

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Pretty sure it takes a couple weeks to accomplish the physiological changes necessary to adapt to that kind of altitude.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Pretty sure it takes a couple weeks to accomplish the physiological changes necessary to adapt to that kind of altitude.
    Nonsense, its all in your head, pedal damn it!

HAL likes junior racing

Riding up...

I rode up yesterday to about 3 miles past Barr Camp; maybe 200 feet below treeline. Going up was smooth sailing until about 3/4 mile past Barr Camp, where the pushing began. Only very small stretches were ridable beyond this point to where I turned around. The descent was beautiful for a rider capable of technical descending. I had tons of fun with the slow speed picking through the rocks and drops with the saddle between the legs.

Something that people should know attempting this: Snacks and drinks available at Barr Camp! I bought a choco-java-oat homemade energy bar ($3 and delicious) and a bottle of Gatorade ($3). I need that on all my rides.

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    So I ended up riding the assault on the peak with my wife and as she was riding the road bike I took my cross bike. Obviously as I didn't take the mtb, I came back down the road and it definitely is a hoot if you like 24 miles of sweet paved switchbacks. The only down side to the day was my wife crushed me after glen cove as I imploded at about 12000 feet--not that I was that surprised but I was hoping to be a bit closer to her time. She took 30 minutes out of me in the last 6 miles--ouch!