mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Pikes Peak/Colorado Springs Epic

Hello,

I came across this video... I hope the link works as I have no idea how to add the link...

Pikes Peak Shuttle (The Downieville Blows remix) on Vimeo

It is posted in a thread "Do you like to get high, Man" on 7/14/2013 in the Colorado - Front Range forum section.

This is pretty much an epic dream for a rider from the east coast. It clearly looks very technical and tough - but I am confident in that regard... As a few riders who I met last Wednesday can attest - it is the climbing that kills me!! HA. I think the poster (wilburkookmeyer) stated +700 ft total - I can do that!!

I am in Colorado for a few more weeks - and had hoped to do some epic high alpine riding like the Monarch Crest trail - but according to the posts on here - that might be over now with early heavy snow already. In fact it appears all hopes of high alpine appear to be dwindling in Colorado this year...

So, that was an awesome video - and looking at Pikes Peak every day is killing me. Is this possible now?

Wilburkookmeyer stated in response to another question:

"can't lie... it was awesome..
    your questions..
    1)Yes, it is pretty much all downhill. we ended up at about 20-ish miles +700ft and -9000ft of ele. NOTE: we skipped upper Barr (too many hikers) and rode the trail from the summit to Devils Playground, then a couple of road switchbacks to Elk Park. By the time we reconnected with Barr, the weather had chase most people off the trail.
    Next time I do it, it will be on a weekday. August 6th or 7th to be exact"

So two questions -
    A) is this going to be feasible at PP anytime the next few weeks - and how do I do it.
    B) can I get any other high alpine riding in Colorado without massive climbs (like Monarch Crest). I can ride down anything - up, well maybe with more practice and less love of BBQ!!

Thanks

rr
    I don't do PC
    Do it on a weekday for sure, Barr trail is a hiking trail foremost. Have someone drive you up to the top via Pikes peak hwy, you will finish at the bottom of Barr trail in Manitou springs. You have to pay to get on the hwy, I think it's like $19. I would imagine it will be fine this week but looks like poss storm next wkd.

BTW, no one rides the top stuff so you will be hiking. I would like to do the full downhill just to say I did it but the shuttle logistics and the hiking traffic keep most away.

Resident Gear Head
    Quote Originally Posted by lmbrjck View Post
    I can ride down anything - up, well maybe with more practice and less love of BBQ!!
    Rudys and a 36 tooth chain ring will prevent anyone from climbing hahah
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying