dft
    mtbr member

pikes peak barr trail??

i'm really into huge vertical drop trails, has anyone ridden this entire trail, top to bottom?
    how is it? check out the description below. any way to shuttle all or part of it at all?

http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=1423

i read a month or so ago the ride summary of the mt. elbert descent, that sounded pretty cool. i'm from socal, once a year i do a ride in palm springs, the trail drops 8000 feet in 11 miles, pure singletrack, technical.
    Last edited by dft; 08-24-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    In my opinion, Pikes Peak is the most lame shuttle I've ever done. You start the day by paying a toll to drive up ($10-20 if I recall correctly) and then driving up what is really a pretty sweet road. You get to the top and you will be light headed from the quick assent to very high altitude.

The trail is basically a route through the boulders over smaller rocks. There are a couple of ridable moves, but much of the first three miles down is hike a bike. Believe me, I went into it with the attitude that I was going to clean the whole trail (I like techy stuff) but it is above and beyond what I was willing to risk.

Once you hit timberline, you are on a fairly wide, but fun trail for the next 3ish miles until Barr Camp. From Barr Camp on, you will be on very boring trail that is heavily hiked. You will ride around countless off camber switchbacks that don't let you keep your speed up, and just when you get in a groove, you fly around the corner and into hikers. Obviously, the traffic is much lower during the week which is what I would recommend if you want to make the attempt.

So then you get to the bottom and you have to pay the toll up again to drive 2+ hours to get the shuttle car again.

Why shuttle Pikes when there are so many better options...

Jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Believe me, I went into it with the attitude that I was going to clean the whole trail (I like techy stuff) but it is above and beyond what I was willing to risk.
    And if you've ever ridden with Kristian, you'll know that thats quite a statement.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

Medicine Wheel Guy
    I have to agree. Between the poor quality of the trail and the number of pedestrians you are likely to piss off, there are many, many better options out there.

MountainMafia "Boss"
    What is a better option for a shuttle ride?I hear of a lot of talk about this peak and that one, but what is the best to do in your opinions?
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMafia
    What is a better option for a shuttle ride?I hear of a lot of talk about this peak and that one, but what is the best to do in your opinions?
    Come on out sometime when were doing a shuttle and we can show you the route, don't need to discuss it here, I bet our group will be doing one in the next few weeks.

Dude...
    Rroeder,

I'm finally in town, and would be interested in some shuttling somewhere around here... I'll be be snooping around the front range forum for the next few weeks...

rr
    I don't do PC
    I would like to do a shuttle next weekend, so what do the inflexibles think?

Shoulda went faster
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I would like to do a shuttle next weekend, so what do the inflexibles think?
    I'm in. Anybody else?

ps sorry to hi jack the thread! ;-)

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    In
    The trail is basically a route through the boulders over smaller rocks. There are a couple of ridable moves, but much of the first three miles down is hike a bike. Believe me, I went into it with the attitude that I was going to clean the whole trail (I like techy stuff) but it is above and beyond what I was willing to risk.
    so even if you like extreme technical descending (7 inch freeride bike), not rideable?? could you pm me if there are any other very large verticle shuttle rides, it would be much appreciated??? the mt elbert descent sounds good.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    so even if you like extreme technical descending (7 inch freeride bike), not rideable??
    In my experience, everything is rideable to someone out there, but I would guess it to be easier on a mod trials bike than a 7" freeride bike. The main problem is the number of rocks to the side of the trail. They make things very tight in the switchbacks, and the exposure is frequently 10-20 feet if you end up blowing the turn. The singletrack in between the swichbacks is a lot more ridable, but sometimes only a few feet long between turns.

There were a lot of lines that I would have considered if they were in town and not a 4+ hour rescue. Probably the biggest thing for me was the fact that there is simply no where to land since it is a boulder field full of ankle twisters, arm breakers and (in my ride) thumb manglers.

If it were challenging that way the whole way down I would feel differently about the trail, but the bottom is so croweded and boring. Like I said, there are other options that are a lot more enjoyable. If you're ever out here, shoot me a pm.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad rdr
    I'm in. Anybody else?

ps sorry to hi jack the thread! ;-)
    We're doing RMNP this weekend so I'm out...have fun!