Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pike's Peak

2K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  jjonas 
#1 ·
I've been trying to make it up to the top for over a year. So far I've tried twice to make it to the peak. I've failed twice when I first got here, probably because the lack of oxygen compared to where I used to live at 47 feet elevation.

What's a good time to start up the trail?
Does anyone want to join me?

#2 ·
WB, i've been wanting to ride up Pikes Peak since I moved here! If your wanting to ride my guess is the best would be Barr Trail and sometime during the week when there are less hikers. It's a 12.5 mile trail (from Trailhead) and 7500 vertical feet of climbing! I am totally in for doing it if your available during the week.

Drop me a PM and let me know.

#7 ·
mikedeber said:
I too am interested in doing this. My input would be to start really early to minimize exposure to thunderstorms. Maybe we can plan for something within the next few weeks. I am also into the idea of avoiding the weekends at all costs.
I'm so in for a good Pikes Peak climb in a couple of weeks. A few guys doing it would be good to help pace each other :thumbsup:

#11 ·
dhpimp said:
I'm so in for a good Pikes Peak climb in a couple of weeks. A few guys doing it would be good to help pace each other :thumbsup:
Do it--I'm curious how far you'll get. I made it to the A-frame at timberline in '94 when I was pretty new to riding. I didn't have the technical skills to get over much of the trail for about 3/4 of a mile before the A-frame so I hiked a lot pushing the bike. I think I could clean most of the stuff up to the A-frame now.

However, after timberline, the trail is completly different. It is extremely technical with switchback after switchback. Many of the switchbacks are not possible to ride down, so it's really not going to be possible to ride up. I would suggest bringing a pair of lightish hiking boots, stashing your bike at timberline and hiking the rest of the way up if you really want to summit--otherwise I don't think there is a chance. I realize, I just threw down the gauntlet--pictures of the bike at the timberline and summit are required for proof of making it.

For sure do it on a weekday. Most people who hike the peak will leave before sun up. If you can plan it so that you are going back down between ~11am-2pm, you will minimize the chance you run into hikers on the trail. The trail will pack up a little once the after-work crowd and the "hike to Barr Camp and finish the Peak the next day" crowd gets out in the afternoon. There shouldn't be too many of the later group unless you are doing it on a Friday afternoon.

You used to be able to top off your water at Barr Camp, but I think their well has gone low and they now sell bottled water.

#12 ·
bentimby said:
i wouldnt recommend biking it, when i did it we started at 2am, got to the keyhole and watched the sunrise at 6, and were up to the top and back down to the parking lot by 12...:thumbsup:
Sounds like you're talking about Longs Peak, not Pikes Peak... or is there a keyhole on Pikes that I've never heard of?

I might be able to swing a Friday August 25th attempt if I'm in town, always wanted to.

#13 ·
kristian said:
You used to be able to top off your water at Barr Camp, but I think their well has gone low and they now sell bottled water.
Barr Camp doesn't offer water anymore other than bottled water, I think it was a liability issue. Though there is a creek running through there that you can pull water from and treat/filter.

#14 ·
I rode up Barr Trail in High School on a fully rigid Trek 830 Antelope. I had no business being on that trail and no idea what I was doing. But it was damn fun and I refused to stop until the top. I do remember walking some bits though, especially up to the A-frame, but the downhill was good fun. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to come down Barr Trail on a 5 inch bike w/ disc brakes!

#16 ·
Renegade said:
whenever you do it, don't do it this coming weekend. The annual ascent and marathon [foot races] are this weekend, the 19th and 20th.
I rally-style hiked the peak last year on a weekend. It certainly wasn't the ascent/marathon weekend. But there was an event going on. Perhaps a benefit for brain damage? Obviously that added a lot of people to the trail - but it also meant we got free water at Barr Camp. (note, my partner for the day thought about saying we were in the group and getting free snacks and beads etc, I thought it was bad Ju-ju - so we declined the goodies).

But yes - bottled water only.

On that saturday I saw two bikers going up (they passed me on the slacker section just after the incline). I saw one top out later, who knows which way the first went (elk park?).

Two DHers passed me (full face, armour). I wished that was me.

Think I may try to ride the peak this year.

#17 ·
Pike's Peak - Been there - Done That, on a Specialized FS M2 back in 1995. I'll dig up some pictures tonight.

There was two of us, in Colorado on vacation from Michigan. We started out about 8ish in the morning, with the expectation to reach the timberline via Barr Trail. It was a gorgeous day, no clouds or winds, it was early july. We reached the timberline A-frame and decided to push on for a while longer. Looking back, I would have never continued on since we had less than half a camel back (70oz) each and little to no food. But we were pretty excited about making it to the A-Frame so we kept going UP. As we ascended, we both began to feel a bit loopey. So we would ride a while then rest a few minutes, then ride a while and rest. Around the staircase, it Got Steep and there were a few snow fileds. So we hiked-a-bike, and rode whenever possible. Eventually we could see the summit, the Cog, and people above us. The trail and the rest of way up to the summit was covered in thick wet snow. But we were determined (Stupid) and picked up the bikes and scrambled straight up to the summit over the freakin snow field, it was probably 200 feet to the summit. When we reached the summit we took some pictures at the Pike Peak's Summit sign. The tourist were amazed that we actually made it to the top - on our bikes none-the-less. After checking out the views from the summit we began descending the PP highway. We made it about 2 miles down when we were stopped by a Forest ranger. He told us that we could not ride down the road, that we had to take the trail back down to Manitou Springs. We pleaded our case that we were on vacation and had no food blah..blah...blah. The Forest ranger was very receptive to our plea and he received approval to take us back to our car in Manitou Springs! It was pure luck - be it dumb luck, to boot.

It was the Perfect day to summit Pike's Peak on a bike - Partly cloudy, nothing threatening, and the temperature at the top was in the high fifties.

Ahhh...the memories!

FYI - My First Fourteener on a bike - Pike's Peak.

#25 ·
Pontius_Pirate, that was me last year that topped out. I had no idea that the brain injury group (www.pikespeakchallenge.com) was going to be there and I started out the day very disappointed thinking that it was going to be a mess on the trail...

But...

I got more words of encouragement than I've ever gotten before from hikers. They were all VERY nice to me so I did my best to return the words of encouragement when I started my decent. Their kind words helped keep my motivation up. I even wrote the organizer afterwards to say how gracious the folks were and if I would be allowed to join but participate on my bike this year...I never heard back..It looks like they've got it planned for Sept 9th this year.

It took me 6.5hrs to get up and down (including slowing down and stopping for 300+ hikers). It's an amazing trail and I'm looking forward to doing this year...I just don't have a date planned yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.