Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Your retarded

Pike National Forest Closes Trails To All Users

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5437777.pdf

I'm sure The Center For Biological Diversity is jumping for joy right now; they not only achieved their ulterior goal of no humans in the Bear Creek watershed, but they got a bunch of trails that weren't in the watershed on the list as well.

To sum up the list with more popular names, the following are now closed to all access for one year.
    - All of Captain Jacks
    - All of Crankcase Alley
    - All of Jones Park
    - All of Pipeline
    - The top 9/10ths of 720

Having ridden most of these trails since the recent rain damage -- many of them last night while searching for a missing friend -- most of these closures are completely ungrounded. I would estimate less than 10% of each trail has rain damage significant enough to warrant repairs. Of the sections that need repair, a group of 6-10 capable people and a day's worth of time on each could have the damaged sections as good as before, if not better. In other words, a closure of 1-2 months seems reasonable, which would be long enough to conclude the necessary trail maintenance. One year is completely unreasonable. A couple sections will need more significant repairs, but nothing that would take a year with volunteers.

What's really interesting/frustrating to me is the trails that didn't make the list. If Jones, CJs, and 720 need be closed due to water damage, there is no reason Buckhorn and 7 Bridges should remain open. CJs from Buckhorn down received maintenance that brought it up to the same condition as Buckhorn; not great, but certainly rideable with no risks to life or additional trail damage. 7 Bridges is a complete wreck towards the bottom; there are two sections that are completely unrideable and barely hikeable in addition to many more that are heavily damaged. Interestingly enough, Buckhorn and 7 Bridges are the most popular hiking trails of any in this trail system. Because of this, it's hard not to conclude that the move to close these trails was less about water damage and more about getting certain people off of certain trails. In other words, this is a ruse.

Bikes and motos were the largest users on the list of now closed trails; you don't need a usage survey to know that, just be a local. Motos got banned as a result of the CFBD's suit against the Pike National Forest. Because of this, bikes easily became the heaviest users, if they weren't before, with hikers/runners being a distant second and equestrians an even more distant third. Motos had the most money and vested interest in that trail access, but they are out of the game (for now). The remaining groups are relatively weak (i.e. poor) by comparison, so the plan appears to be this: close the trails for a year and deal with the mildly painful backlash -- but not as painful or successful as it would be with the moto money involved. After a year, when the memory of those trails is not fresh in peoples' minds, reassess and come to the same conclusion as before: the trails are too heavily damaged to reopen. At this point, remove the temporary ban and initiate a permanent ban. Easy. Everyone is out of the woods.

I would love to be wrong about this. I would love for the FS to work with local advocacy groups to get into these trails, fix them up, and reopen them before the snow buries everything, but with the current history of Pike NF, I sadly fear that will not be the case. Remember when Severy Creek, Hacket/Longwater Gulch, and Rampart Range Road were just temporary closures?

Happy trails,
    Nickle

Please note, some of things stated above are facts, some are opinions. Of those that are opinions, they are that of my own creation. My opinions and I do not represent any advocacy group, my employer, or any other groups/organizations/whatevers. That should go without saying, but to be clear...
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

mtbr member

Re: Pike National Forest Closes Trails To All Users

First they go after moto-users, next in line are bikes, and last to go are hikers.
    Agenda 21 anyone?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    It took me a while to see the light but I think you've got it all wrong. They're just protecting us from ourselves. You should be happy there's someone looking out for you.

I hope they close Cheyenne Mountain SP, Falcon and Mt Herman also.
    You just can't be too careful.

If you're bored and don't have anything to do we'll be playing lacrosse on Sunday at El Pomar. Double header. Come cheer the kids on. We're both undefeated. Lacrosse, it's so much safer than riding a bike.

Besides, haven't you heard? Riding a bike is banned on page 2047, paragraph B in the ACA. Yeah Really. Didn't you read it?

Trail Ninja
    Hmm, a lot of trail closure notices popping up. I thought it had something to with gov't shutdown, with all non-essential gov't services being cut (ex. national parks), but it seems more like a coincidence in some cases. Maybe it's just the sensitive stuff that can't handle free use without monitoring.

mtbr member
    I'm glad I rode those a bunch this year! This really grinds my gears! Some of the best trails in Colorado on that list.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    What a load of total fukin BS!!!! The trails are easily repairable godamit!!!
    We MTBers need to do something about this!! Im not just going to sit back and say ahhh, OK!!!

mtbr member
    This doesn't impact Indian Creek does it? I'm thinking about IC for Thurs morning...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Grams Light Bikes
    Fyi

Pike National Forest Closes Trails To All Users-closures.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Conspiracy? Not sure I buy it...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Conspiracy? Not sure I buy it...
    Keep telling yourself that and you will have no place to ride.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Keep telling yourself that and you will have no place to ride.
    In all sincerity, what do you propose the average mtn biker do?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn W. View Post
    Get involved in local politics and stop voting for Democrats and especially Progressives.

mtbr member

Re: Pike National Forest Closes Trails To All Users

Get involved in local politics and stop voting for Democrats and especially Progressives.
    Establishment republicans are no different from establishment democrats. The same animal with 2 heads.

mtbr member
    I remember in the 90's the phrase "skateboarding is not a crime". I am beginning to understand how they felt.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Establishment republicans are no different from establishment democrats. The same animal with 2 heads.
    In big picture terms and at the Federal level yes, on local issues I would disagree. Case in point the recall of John Morse and Giron.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is ignorant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Resident Gear Head
    So a closed trail means there is a sign in front of the trail or do they do something else to rope it off?...
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by provin1327 View Post
    So a closed trail means there is a sign in front of the trail or do they do something else to rope it off?...

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn W. View Post
    That's a good question. I would also like to know, without going down a political path.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So with the govt shut down, are there any rangers working to keep people off the trail? Maybe there is a bright side to it after all...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan12210 View Post
    So with the govt shut down, are there any rangers working to keep people off the trail? Maybe there is a bright side to it after all...
    If they carry a gun then they are not on furlough.

mtbr member
    Write your Senators and Congressmen. "Public Safety" is not even a credible excuse for closing these trails.

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    I might recommend advocating the transfer of Federal lands to State control, but I'm not sure that would be any better-witness the State Trust sections that have NO TRESPASSING signs plastered all over the place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by m3rb View Post
    I might recommend advocating the transfer of Federal lands to State control, but I'm not sure that would be any better-witness the State Trust sections that have NO TRESPASSING signs plastered all over the place.
    Thought we sold our federal lands to the Chinese... or was that one of those forwarded emails? I get email forwards and fact confused now since reality is just as ridiculous as of late.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Total BS. Where can I sign a petition or do something. I'm ready to act.

Has anyone ridden Jacks lately? I know about the road damage between tunnel 1 and 2 but not the trail itself.

I road Palmer Trail/Section 16. There is a sign on the road up that simply says closed. I'm sure it is for cars but doesn't say anything about other users groups. Palmer trail is mint and Section 16 has a couple spots but in good shape.

Chris

PS - I hope Medicine Wheel can get some things done to open up Jacks. Also props to them for the little reroute on the start of Palmer Trail, it is just beautiful

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast