mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Is Picture Rock pretty good?

So I'm planning on heading up to Lyons tomorrow to do some riding. My first time there was last week, and I did Hall from the normal start, which wasn't really my sort of thing. Tomorrow I'm thinking of trying the Antelope start and then do a few laps on Nelson(which I loved), or I could try out the Picture Rock trail which appears to start off of Red Gulch Rd. Reviews on it seem sparse, but the few I could find seem positive. Would you guys recommend it? Most of my riding is sadly just running laps on Springbrook or Betasso. Much obliged folks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you like Springbrook and Betasso, you'll love Picture Rock. Not technical like the rock garden at Hall. I'd choose it over antelope.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Picture Rock is a nice trail. Not particularly steep or technical but a good climb with some rocks to keep things entertaining. Some regions of fun swoopy singletrack. It's 5.5 mi and connects to more riding (Wild Turkey and Heil frontside).

crashes in parkinglot
    PR is great fun, some of the sections remind me of western slope (18 road / book cliffs area) riding. Get up and do Wild Turkey as an out and back if you want more, you can go either way for the out and backs, but i prefer the northern leg. There are some parts of WT that are technical, but nothing near as tech as the rock garden at hall. Near the top WT has some fantastic flowing and smooth single track.
    Down is the new up.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by dngrcnnn
    So I'm planning on heading up to Lyons tomorrow to do some riding. My first time there was last week, and I did Hall from the normal start, which wasn't really my sort of thing. Tomorrow I'm thinking of trying the Antelope start and then do a few laps on Nelson(which I loved), or I could try out the Picture Rock trail which appears to start off of Red Gulch Rd. Reviews on it seem sparse, but the few I could find seem positive. Would you guys recommend it? Most of my riding is sadly just running laps on Springbrook or Betasso. Much obliged folks.
    The antelope side of Hall is quite a bit steeper than Picture Rock, but it is less technical. PR is much easier from a technical standpoint than the rock garden side of Hall, but there are a few rocky sections that will require some attention.

PR is a steady, 5% grade all the way up to the top. Wild Turkey has some chunk in places but also has some fast, swoopy stuff. PR is closer to the Nelson loop at Hall than it is the rock garden side.

ride
    I rode Picture Rock this morning and found it to be quite good.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    PR is great fun, some of the sections remind me of western slope (18 road / book cliffs area) riding. Get up and do Wild Turkey as an out and back if you want more, you can go either way for the out and backs, but i prefer the northern leg. There are some parts of WT that are technical, but nothing near as tech as the rock garden at hall. Near the top WT has some fantastic flowing and smooth single track.
    That actually sounds pretty good. Are there signs or something up there so I'll know where I am? Are the junctions of WT and Ponderosa pretty well marked so I don't screw it up? And WT is a loop, right, not an actual out and back on the same trail? I'm basing that off of the way the Heil Valley OSMP map looks, but obviously that map may be a bit off.

Either way, thanks everyone. PR it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You can finish your ride at Oskar Blues. I might even ride PR but just for the Deviant Dales.

ride
    Technically, WT is a single trail that is bisected by PR. You can make a loop, though, by combining it with Ponderosa. I find the N section of WT to be more to my liking. I generally prefer it more in either direction to the S side so I ride the N section of WT as an out and back. Can't really go wrong either way though. Regardless, good times will be had. Enjoy your ride.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Rolling
    Picture rock is Purty, .like your brothers sister....and the ride is smoof and tight.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    and the ride is smoof and tight.
    I was waiting for the simili to finish of this sentence as well
    Down is the new up.

Oh, So Interesting!
    You have to pedal as hard going down PR as you do going up because of the gradual grade but I like it.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Picture rock is Purty, .like your brothers sister....and the ride is smoof and tight.
    You must have a 5 inch all mountain bike as I found it to be very bumpy on my limited travel bike. Still its a fun trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    You have to pedal as hard going down PR as you do going up because of the gradual grade but I like it.
    And all of us experts think it's just a ***** trail, but we ride it anyway to show everyone how cool we are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Depends on your definition of "pretty".
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Just don't ride it after 4 pm or on the weekends as it get crowded. Real crowded.
    All in all though a good lil trail and it's nice that you can ride it almost 10 months out of the year.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn
    You must have a 5 inch all mountain bike as I found it to be very bumpy on my limited travel bike. Still its a fun trail.

I don't think you're even allowed on it with less than 5 inches of travel.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Given the post date you probably already did your ride. I think my favorite option is to start at the main Heil TH, up Lefthand Canyon, forget the name of the trail. Do that and Picture Rock as an out/back. So, from main Heil TH, up to loop start, right on the loop, shortly a right on Wild Turkey, intersect and go down Picture Rock to the bottom. Turn around, invert everything and return to the start. Enough climbing and miles to work you, and the downhill back to your car is very fun on that side of Heil too.