Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Picking up Colorado trail on Copper Mnt

I'm thinking about riding the Colorado Trail to Searle Pass to Kokomo Pass. Can someone describe to me exactly where to pick up the Colorado Trail on Copper Mountain? Is the Colorado trail clearly marked? Also, where would you recommend I park for the day?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The CT is clearly marked, both in real life and in Google Maps. I personally would park next to the gas station on the E side of 91 and ride south on 91 until you see the CT crossing the road.

Might be able to park in the east-side Corn lot... but I'm not sure if it's open in the summer?

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    The CT is clearly marked, both in real life and in Google Maps. I personally would park next to the gas station on the E side of 91 and ride south on 91 until you see the CT crossing the road.

Might be able to park in the east-side Corn lot... but I'm not sure if it's open in the summer?
    No need to to ride 91 but you will have to cross it. Hop on the gas line doubletrack right beside the lot and ride it till you see the bridge crossing the creek..CT picks up on the other side of 91.

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks. This should be a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You can also pick up the CT by the American Flyer lift. Great ride indeed.

Skared, Copper still sucks.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    You can also pick up the CT by the American Flyer lift. Great ride indeed.

Skared, Copper still sucks.
    Indeed. That mountain is all full of fail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You can also park on the west side of copper, near union creek, and ride a little ways up the road till you see a trail marker. Cuts off some distance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is the section across Copper still full of horse crap? I heard there was re-route in the works for the horses to get off the Colo Tr?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    Is the section across Copper still full of horse crap? I heard there was re-route in the works for the horses to get off the Colo Tr?
    Its been rerouted and rides great. No horsecrap apocalypse

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

mtbr member
    The Colorado Trail traverses across the slopes about 50 feet up the hill from the base of the American Eagle (or Flyer- I get those mixed up) lift. Once you're on the trail, just head west, it is well-signed and very easy to follow.
    Parking abounds at the base, and I didn't see any signs asking you to pay when I was there about 3 weeks ago.
    There are several restaurants at the base that are still open, for after-ride beers and eats.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Looks Epic...I want to do it.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Unfortunately, Copper Stables is using about a 1/2 mile section the CT through Copper again.

I was under the impression that they were off the CT and on the east side of the resort but it seems they're back. A letter to Dillon District Ranger Jan Cutt's to tell her how Copper Stables effects your trail experience wouldn't be a bad thing

Virtual Dillon Ranger District - Welcome to the Virtual Dillon Ranger District located in Summit County, Colorado
    Last edited by zrm; 07-09-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Its been rerouted and rides great. No horsecrap apocalypse
    I was there yesterday and there is a stretch that is still getting horse traffic. Less than a mile and the crap wasn't too bad so it must not be heavy use.

lucky enough
    I don't mind horse poop at all. Horses eat a limited diet - mostly grass. So their poop is just recycled grass. It dries up quickly and disappears in a couple of days. Unlike dog feces, horse manure does not spread disease. So that's why removal of horse manure is not required. So do not fear horse poop!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    I don't mind horse poop at all. Horses eat a limited diet - mostly grass. So their poop is just recycled grass. It dries up quickly and disappears in a couple of days. Unlike dog feces, horse manure does not spread disease. So that's why removal of horse manure is not required. So do not fear horse poop!

The problem is that this section of trail is used by a commercial outfitter that runs strings of 7-15 horses 2+ times a day so the horse feces are in constant resupply so there is a daily restocking of fresh. While horse manure is certainly less noxious than a dog's it is not something I care to have all over my bike or myself and it still smells and attracts flies like any other $hit does.

That's not to mention the impact that the regular traffic of a commercial stables has on a trail. The difference between the section that Copper Stables uses and doesn't use is pretty stark. It's a very sore subject with the CT adopter of that section and the CT foundation. They put that route through Copper because former alignment along lower Guller Creek got so "horsed out" from the stables that they couldn't do anything with it and had to totally re-route it. Now the same thing is happening to the CTF volunteer built trail (with very little help from Copper Stables).

friend of Apex
    horse manure does not spread disease.
    the CDC begs to differ

Animals: Horses | CDC Healthy Pets Healthy People
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    the CDC begs to differ
    ]
    OK I admit it when I'm wrong. However, from what I've read horse poop is a lot more innocuous than dog or cow.
    I'll maintain that a little horse poop won't kill you (usually ). But zrm, it sounds like that trail gets more than a little. In cases such of such high use, a separate trail sounds good.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the pics, looks like you had a blast! I'll have to check it for myself.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK I admit it when I'm wrong. However, from what I've read horse poop is a lot more innocuous than dog or cow.
    I'll maintain that a little horse poop won't kill you (usually ). But zrm, it sounds like that trail gets more than a little. In cases such of such high use, a separate trail sounds good.

Yeah, I don't have any problem with the occasional private horse group or occasional pack trip, it's the high intensity commercial use that I think shouldn't be allowed on this particular trail. I don't begrudge the folks at Copper Stables making a living, or the tourists who want to ride the horses, just not on such a high use trail, especially when they do so little to mitigate their impact.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry to rehash this but looking to do this ride and I've tried searching and seem to get conflicting data. If we were to ride from the gas station off 91 roughly how far is it one way to Searle and how much further is Kokomo?

Some websites say 14 miles 3600, other people say 2500 total vert. Just trying to get an idea for an out and back with 20 miles I hope? Thinking perhaps have to do the gas station to kokomo and back.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    From the gas station to Elk ridge (the highpoint of this section in between searle and kokomo) was 14.3 miles one way on my computer. going downhill to kokomo would add maybe another mile or so. maybe 2 miles shorter to stop at searle. according to google earth, 3700' to elk ridge and back.

bike rider
    Why park at the gas station and ride pavement to the village? Just park at the village and start riding up the dirt road under the lift. You'll hit the singletrack at the second switchback.

ZRM is hit the nail on the head about heavy commercial horse use on such a popular trail with NO effort to mitigate impact. Assh*les. At least the Breckenridge operation mostly stays on a separate trail network than what hikers and bikers use.
    Keep the Country country.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you park at the parking structure at Copper it's about 8 miles to the top of the pass. If you park at the corn lot and take the trail from there add about a mile (maybe more).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Why park at the gas station and ride pavement to the village?
    Why would you ride pavement to the village when there is singletrack starting right at the gas station? Really fun little climb and descent down to the village IMO, but best skipped on the way back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast