endorphin junkie

Photos and Video from Front Range Trip in January

Hey all,

Finally got all my videos edited from the trip last month. Basically one vid per area I rode, with a couple of them split into two videos. Fair warning: some are kinda long, and are probably kinda boring unless you are me.

Rather than link them all here I'll just include one link to the Playlist:
    Colorado Front Range - January 2013 - YouTube

I also have a few sets of photos up on Flickr:
    Collection: 2013 Colorado Front Range

Here's a few samples from each park:

Hall Ranch

Hall Ranch Rock Formations in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Six Point Buck in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Heil Valley Ranch

Abandoned Car - Infrared B&W in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Picture Rock Trail Rider I - Horizontal in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Walker Ranch

Solitary Tree - Horizontal in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Serious Slope in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Twilight Fire in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Buffalo Creek

Buffalo Creek Horizon in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Rock Formations in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Alderfer / Three Sisters

Panorama View From Summit Trail - Rockies Side in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Elk Like Watching Sunsets Too in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Elk Meadow / Bergen Peak

I'm going up... there. in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Snow @ 14,000 Feet in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Matthews/Winters (Dakota Ridge & Red Rocks)

Twisted - B&W in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr

Dakota Ridge 360 Panorama in Colorado Front Range, on Flickr
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Sweet pics!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice, makes me jealous I didn't ride enough when the weather was good.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

mtbr member
    Nice work....you got a lot in. And in january.....to top it off.

mtbr member
    Great pictures!

Addicted to Dirt
    Well done!

lucky enough
    nice shots indeed! By the way those snow-covered peaks in the pic labeled snow @ 14,000 feet in Colorado front range are actually part of the continental divide - you're standing in the front range. I know, I have a penchant for accuracy.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    nice shots indeed! By the way those snow-covered peaks in the pic labeled snow @ 14,000 feet in Colorado front range are actually part of the continental divide - you're standing in the front range. I know, I have a penchant for accuracy.
    Hey thanks for explaining that. The whole time I was out there I had a feeling there was something about my understanding of "continental divide" that wasn't right. I don't know my geography out there. Guess I have some corrections to make in my blog posts as well. Did I at least have the elevations of those peaks roughly correct? I know there's a bunch of 'em that top out above 14k, but I have no idea which ones I was looking at.

However, if ya wanna come ride up and down the Eastern Continental Divide and climb some of the peaks in WNC, that's a different story. At least I know what I'm talking about here. It's all just a bit smaller than that big stuff ya got out there.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

lucky enough
    Yes some peaks on the divide are over 14,000'. Near Boulder/Golden area they are Longs Peak in the Rocky Mountain National Park, and then further south Grays and Torreys you can see from I70 as you drive west. Otherwise most of them are 13,00 feet.
    By the way, by definition there is only ONE continental divide. There are other "local" divides in the U.S. like the Sierra Nevada and your WNC.

endorphin junkie
    By the way, by definition there is only ONE continental divide. There are other "local" divides in the U.S. like the Sierra Nevada and your WNC.
    This is getting away from the purpose of my post and may be arguing semantics, but you mentioned having a penchant for accuracy:

"A continental divide is a drainage divide on a continent such that the drainage basin on one side of the divide feeds into one ocean or sea, and the basin on the other side either feeds into a different ocean or sea, or else is endorheic, not connected to the open sea."

When one says "continental divide" in North America, or more specifically, the US, it's true they generally mean the Great Continental Divide, due to the magnitude in both length and elevation. But it is incorrect to say that there is only one continental divide. There are many continental divides all over the world and continents are not limited to having just one.

Photos and Video from Front Range Trip in January-800px-ocean_drainage.png
    T.S. Eliot

lucky enough
    Yes you have it. I stand corrected in that there can be more than one continental divide in a continent. According to my geology class there is only one in the U.S. and your WNC divide does not qualify because waters on either side of it flow eventually to the Atlantic. The Serra Nevada is an impressive range but again does not qualify as a continental divide because waters on both sides eventually flow into the Pacific. I see from your figure that a divide from Florida into eastern Canada is highlighted. Geologists don't call that a continental divide. I guess that's because the Gulf of Mexico doesn't qualify as a separate ocean or sea, and it is connected to the Atlantic.
    Wikipedia says the Rockies are the continental divide and note your eastern divide and others as lesser divides.
    Continental Divide of the Northern Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The National Atlas from the gov'ment also mentions only one continental divide in the US.
    Continental Divide of the United States

Candlestick Maker
    Thanks for the great pixels! Reminds me why I love living in Colorado.
    baker

endorphin junkie
    Yes you have it. I stand corrected in that there can be more than one continental divide in a continent. According to my geology class there is only one in the U.S. and your WNC divide does not qualify because waters on either side of it flow eventually to the Atlantic. The Serra Nevada is an impressive range but again does not qualify as a continental divide because waters on both sides eventually flow into the Pacific. I see from your figure that a divide from Florida into eastern Canada is highlighted. Geologists don't call that a continental divide. I guess that's because the Gulf of Mexico doesn't qualify as a separate ocean or sea, and it is connected to the Atlantic.
    Wikipedia says the Rockies are the continental divide and note your eastern divide and others as lesser divides.
    Continental Divide of the Northern Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The National Atlas from the gov'ment also mentions only one continental divide in the US.
    Continental Divide of the United States
    Groovy. I think we're united enough now that we can put the divide conversation to rest. Thus endeth the School of MTBR course "Geology of the Greater and Lesser Divides in North America 101". I vote we skip the final exam and go ride bikes!
    T.S. Eliot

lucky enough
    Again, thanks for pointing out my error. I in my haste to get my email out this AM before work I was completely forgetting about the "triple junction" in Canada where three continental divides meet - Pacific/Arctic, Arctic/Atlantic, and Atlantic/Pacific. This is in the Columbia Icefields where I have been. And reading more on the nationalatlas.gov site, it does appear that some folks have a looser definition of a continental divide and include gulfs and bays as separate bodies of water. Who knew?

Back to the topic of your excellent pics. The capture of the continental divide is nice - it's not easy to get a good shot because of the difference in contrast between trees and bright snow and clouds. I'll have to check your flickr site.

And yea let's go ride bikes.

friend of Apex
    Yes some peaks on the divide are over 14,000'. Near Boulder/Golden area they are Longs Peak in the Rocky Mountain National Park, and then further south Grays and Torreys you can see from I70 as you drive west. Otherwise most of them are 13,00 feet.

I believe the 2 peaks you see near exit 221 are actually Kelso mountain and Torreys Peak, with Greys Peak not visible but just behind them...

Also, Longs Peak is a tad east of the divide.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    I believe the 2 peaks you see near exit 221 are actually Kelso mountain and Torreys Peak, with Greys Peak not visible but just behind them...

Also, Longs Peak is a tad east of the divide.
    I think what this means is that my geographical knowledge of Colorado and the Front Range is horrible, and I really need to come back - often - so that I can improve it. That's the best solution I can think of.
    T.S. Eliot

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    I think what this means is that my geographical knowledge of Colorado and the Front Range is horrible, and I really need to come back - often - so that I can improve it. That's the best solution I can think of.
    Makes sense to me. Maybe wkd-rdr or I could assist in pointing out landmarks.