mtbr member

From Phoenix, work in Golden, trail advice?

So work is sending me to Golden for a week, staying at the Candlewood Suites on Tabor Street. I'll be there August 11th through the 16th. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a shop that may do rentals? Also if there are any nearby trails? I ride a heavier 6" travel bike, but do most types of riding, so as long as the trail is nice, has sights to see, and I am on a bike, I'll be happy. I also have lights I can bring if there are any good night rides, as I am unsure how late my classes get out. I really appreciate any help. Thanks.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    North Table Mtn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rentals at Golden Bike shop, bottom the hill going into downtown from the highway.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

Yay! Bikes !
    Rent from Golden bike Shop.
    you can ride 4-5 good fun trails from the door after picking up the bike.
    Nick.

mtbr member
    From Golden you have lots of options to ride. Apex, North Table Mountain, White Ranch which has two of my front range trails, Mustang and Longhorn. You can also ride Chimney Gulch. If you drive a tiny bit south you can hit Matthew Winters and Dakota Ridge which has the most tech and features for front range trails in the area. Below is a link to singletracks.com That has info on all the trails listed.

Golden, CO Mountain Bike Trails || SINGLETRACKS.COM || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
    North Table Mtn.
    that's just mean...

You are here for a week... make the most of it.
    +1 - White Ranch - the climb up Belcher is a burly sunabeeotch.. but worth it
    +1 - Chimney Gulch - not as loose as White Ranch but still a big climb

If you are going to drive, drive to Centennial Cone. Ride it Counter Clockwise, the DH sections will be teh moar fun.

Stay for the weekend and Ride Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
    North Table Mtn.
    Hahaha? What? Terrible advice for a guy on a big bike from the desert. Believe me, I know that used to be me!

Apex and Dakota Ridge are both close and will having you feel more at home.

mtbr member
    PM me. I'd like to do an evening ride next week. I live close to Golden.

mtbr member
    Watch out for these Phoenix guys, they're TOTAL sand baggers...especially someone who rides a "heavy" 6" bike! I DH w/ a bunch of AZ refugees from the Phoenix area. Their home trail (on South Mountain...?) has NO dirt on it, all rock! Dakota Ridge is like their green trail! I don't know this tysonnemb. But if he's like the rest of 'em, this guy is gonna be a bit not-right-in-the-head as far as what he'll think is rideable!

Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Head up to Boulder and ride Hall ranch, great scenery and a mix of super techy rock and smooth fast singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Watch out for these Phoenix guys, they're TOTAL sand baggers...especially someone who rides a "heavy" 6" bike! I DH w/ a bunch of AZ refugees from the Phoenix area. Their home trail (on South Mountain...?) has NO dirt on it, all rock! Dakota Ridge is like their green trail! I don't know this tysonnemb. But if he's like the rest of 'em, this guy is gonna be a bit not-right-in-the-head as far as what he'll think is rideable!

Yeah South Mountain is an absolute blast, thats for sure. As far as the heavy bike, its over 35 lbs, an Enduro. Good bike though. I just didn't want to narrow it down to any specific type of trail, as I can have fun anywhere, be it shuttle rides down a trail, or longer XC rides with little technical. A good trail is a good trail.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    PM me. I'd like to do an evening ride next week. I live close to Golden.
    I unfortunately will not be there until August, just wanted to get a head start on planning. Thanks though.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    I appreciate the suggestions so far. Glad to read that there are a lot of options. I unfortunately am not able to drive too far, as 3 of us are sharing a car. I also would have loved to stay an extra day or 2, but the flights were already booked. So it will be a Monday - Thursday afternoons of riding. Thanks again. Getting excited.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I unfortunately will not be there until August, just wanted to get a head start on planning. Thanks though.
    whoops, I should've read your dates. I'm scheduled to be in town that week.

The slog up Belcher Hill at White Ranch is crappy, but the reward is there when you do the Mustang>> Maverick>>Long Horn figure 8. I'd recommend it to someone used to a 6" steed.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Tyson, when I visited I hit up both apex and white ranch as mentioned above. Awesome views with great singletrack at both. A good break from the rocks down here and close to town. You are gonna dig it.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Yeah South Mountain is an absolute blast, thats for sure. As far as the heavy bike, its over 35 lbs, an Enduro. Good bike though. I just didn't want to narrow it down to any specific type of trail, as I can have fun anywhere, be it shuttle rides down a trail, or longer XC rides with little technical. A good trail is a good trail.
    No shuttling here.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett