Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bad Andy!

Phoenix area ride recommendations

I will be going to Phoenix (Mesa actually) with the family for spring break, the week of 3/25.
    The lovely wife has a BFF down there, so that will leave me with plenty of time to ride
    What recommendations do any of you that have experience down there have for favorites?
    My home base will be within riding distance to Usery.
    I have ridden down there on occasion, so know I will be at South Mountain. I will explore Usery and probably McDowell.
    Just want to make sure I don't miss any must do!!
    I like all types of trails from fast and buff to slow technical grinds, no red bull type stuff! Willing to drive up to an hour depending on how good the ride is, but would rather keep it close.
    Thanks - anyone else going to be down there?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    I will be going to Phoenix (Mesa actually) with the family for spring break, the week of 3/25.
    The lovely wife has a BFF down there, so that will leave me with plenty of time to ride
    What recommendations do any of you that have experience down there have for favorites?
    My home base will be within riding distance to Usery.
    I have ridden down there on occasion, so know I will be at South Mountain. I will explore Usery and probably McDowell.
    Just want to make sure I don't miss any must do!!
    I like all types of trails from fast and buff to slow technical grinds, no red bull type stuff! Willing to drive up to an hour depending on how good the ride is, but would rather keep it close.
    Thanks - anyone else going to be down there?
    I've been hearing that the Black Canyon Trail is a must-do. I think it's out the north side of the metro area.

My experience is more down in the Tucson area, but I know there's a ton of goodness in and around Phoenix.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Addicted to Dirt
    South Mountain and McDowell should keep you busy for a few days.

At SoMo a favorite route of mine is starting at the southwest end (near Chandler Blvd.) Up Bursera > National Trail > East on National to Pima > Javelina > Beverly Loop > Pima Trailhead > Desert Classic to Telegraph trailhead > about a mile of road on Desert foothills > Bursera to starting point (enter this trail is immediately after a dry retention pond on desert foothills.

This is a fairly big day that will give you a taste of everything: flowy trails, climbs, HAB, gnar

The detailed map is decent: Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Hiking Map

Bad Andy!
    Thanks TomP, this may be good for a half day visit to my friend in Cave Creek, then check out some of BCT.
    The Black Canyon Trail

Thanks ingluis - excellent info as well.

The 5th knuckle
    My brother in law lives there and rides a ton! I'll hit him up for some hints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

friend of Apex
    dude, get this... Arizona has its own forum.
    I think they even talk about trails sometimes.
    VISITORS READ HERE FIRST: Local riding advice
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Carbon or Commie?
    Usery isn't too bad if you're local. If you're looking for an easy ride, Blevin's/Moonrock isn't too tough. Cat peaks will spice it up a little. Pass mountain is more difficult than anything else at Usery (It even has signs posted that it isn't recommended for bicycles), but if you've ridden south mountain, I would expect Pass Mountain to not give you much in the way of excitement.

BCT is where it's at though. (About 1-1.5 hour drive from Usery). A little bit of everything for everyone. Lots of long trails, some hard ones, some medium ones... and if you just want some cardio, you're right up the street from the table mesa trails.

SoMo, as you know, is also nice. It's usually a bit crowded for my taste though.

To get closer to usery, check out the trails at San Tan and Hawes.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    South Mountain for sure. National and Geronimo are great trails there. National, up, Geronimo down. Link up with other stuff.

White Tanks park (on the edgo of the metro area) has great riding there. I forget the names of the trails; I believe Mountain Goat is the gnarly descent there. Good Stuff.

_ML
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    My advice - have your wife drop you in Sedona and pick you up on the way back.

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Or this

The Original Suspect
    Gold Canyon has some great new trails and they are building more all the time. Also very close to Mesa. The Red Mountain area has tons of fun stuff and also in the Mesa area. My fav out at the McDowell's is Pemberton/Granite/Bluff. The 4+ miles of sweeping downhill in the end are a blast. Of course the Sport and Tech loops are a must if you go to the McDowell's.

If you can you should also try Dreamy Draw off the 51 freeway and Northern.

Bad Andy!
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Gold Canyon has some great new trails and they are building more all the time. Also very close to Mesa. The Red Mountain area has tons of fun stuff and also in the Mesa area. My fav out at the McDowell's is Pemberton/Granite/Bluff. The 4+ miles of sweeping downhill in the end are a blast. Of course the Sport and Tech loops are a must if you go to the McDowell's.

If you can you should also try Dreamy Draw off the 51 freeway and Northern.
    Lots of great info here all - THANKS (even you WKD)!

Is Dreamy Draw AKA Trail 100?
    I've done that before and thought it was really cool. I know some people don't like it.

And yes, WKD - I know there are more forums here than the good ole CO Front Range. I have been perusing the AZ forum. Just waiting on the asking part. I know a lot of you, so I know better whether to trust the answers I get.

The Original Suspect

Is Dreamy Draw AKA Trail 100?
    I've done that before and thought it was really cool. I know some people don't like it.
    Yes, trail 100 is in that same area. There are lots of trails but if you start from the parking lot off of Northern there are some good choices.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    McDowell mountain Competitive Track is freaking awesome. 14 miles of fun, fast singletrack. Located just outside of Fountain Hills. $6 park entry fee...

Team Velveeta™
    ... I know there are more forums here than the good ole CO Front Range. I have been perusing the AZ forum. Just waiting on the asking part. I know a lot of you, so I know better whether to trust the answers I get.
    Gotta be careful. Those guys, and some of the girls, down in AZ will seem all nice enough, but then one day they'll invite you to come ride with them way out in the desert. Once you're way out there they'll take your bike and clothes and all the beer you brought and leave you to walk home barefoot with your balls in your hand.

I still have scars on my feet.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    So wanna go hit Sedona!

So broke at the moment
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    McDowell, White tanks, Sedona is worth the drive.

Give it a crank
    +1 on Gold Canyon and just a little further east is another definite must-do: Picketpost Mtn. on the Arizona Trail.

Carbon or Commie?
    Basically... Our trails here are pretty much just awesome.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    So wanna go hit Sedona!

So broke at the moment
    Suck it up, Princess.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by axisofoil View Post
    Basically... Our trails here are pretty much just awesome.
    From November to February, then you need to ride from 3 to 4 am when it's only 110 degrees out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    From November to February, then you need to ride from 3 to 4 am when it's only 110 degrees out.
    Actually, October to April are quite nice, but then yes, one needs to hit the trail quite early to beat the heat!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by socallush View Post
    McDowell, White tanks, Sedona is worth the drive.
    +1, plenty of trails in the area pick up a book/map when you get there, and also sedona is worth a day trip. Absolute bikes is up there so they can tell you what ever you want to know if you go for a day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Actually, October to April are quite nice, but then yes, one needs to hit the trail quite early to beat the heat!
    So is mid April not good for Sedona...already too hot?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Just saw this:
    Special Offers - Air Specials - Southwest Airlines

Southwest has a $91 one way special to Phoenix. There's a great connection; you leave Denver at 8AM, you're riding South Mountain by noon. Could come back same day if you were really crazy. (ask me how I know)

Granted, this winter hasn't been bad for riding at all, unlike some winters past.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast