Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Personal climbing records-Front Range

I just wanted to see what everybody personal records are for climbing some of the trails on the Front Range. These are real times, not "ride" times.

White Ranch to bench (Belcher Hill climb) 34:10
    Falcon (To hut) 37:20
    Chinmey Gulch 49:00 *(This is the time I'm most proud of, I have never even come close to this again, I'm mostly around 51:00 minutes, but I had a guy on a Ellsworth chasing me up the hill that day)
    Betasso CW 19:40 CCW 20:30

I have been keeping track on my wife's Garmin Forerunner 305. Please feel free to include any additional trails or climbs.

Erik

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Sport climbing 5.13a (red point), 5.12b (on sight)
    Trad 5.11d
    Bouldering V9

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hmmm... I don't keep track.

I heart the drops
    Falcon: (To hut) slow
    Chinmey Gulch: really really slow (This is the time I'm most proud of, I have never even come close to this again, but I had a guy on a Ellsworth chasing me up the hill that day screaming im gonna get you fatty!)
    Betasso CW I passed out halfway there
    White Ranch to bench (Belcher Hill climb) god can someone kill me
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    This is the time I'm most proud of, I have never even come close to this again, but I had a guy on a Ellsworth chasing me up the hill that day screaming im gonna get you fatty!
    Was he carrying a steak knife and a fork? That guy creeps me out, but he does make me climb a little faster. I think it's the "flight" half of my fight-or-flight instinct kicking in.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Let There Be Dirt
    Rumor has it that Dave Weins does Falcon in the low 20's when he visits family here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSIDE
    Rumor has it that Dave Weins does Falcon in the low 20's when he visits family here.
    Shhnikies...

Was someone chasing him up with a gun when he did this?

Shattering Glass
    Hall ranch... pretty damn fast but I forget to look at my watch because I'm having too much fun!

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    yay dickwaving competition!

trail waggler

I climbed...

Outa bed, 7 a.m., to go ride, after a six pack of Stone IPA the night before, definitely a PR for me!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    I prefer to do the helicopter.

mtbr member
    yay penis envy girl!

Its not dick waving, just interesting. Mellow out and shut it.

feel the Force
    hmmm, let's see. To do Falcon in 21 minutes would be climbing at about 5100 vertical feet per hour. That's roughly the same as Pantani's record up Alpe d' Huez. Add in the increased rolling resistance from dirt and technical terrain...Dave's certainly a talented rider, maybe he should be doing the Tour?
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    hmmm, let's see. To do Falcon in 21 minutes would be climbing at about 5100 vertical feet per hour. That's roughly the same as Pantani's record up Alpe d' Huez. Add in the increased rolling resistance from dirt and technical terrain...Dave's certainly a talented rider, maybe he should be doing the Tour?

RED BULL... It gives you wings.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by h00ters
    Its not dick waving, just interesting.
    Best... quote... ever!
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Jhk

I heard JHK did in the 18's. As far as racer-goobs go, most experts pull it off in the mid to high 20's, sportos mid to low 30's. Before I got a power meter I had to use those climbs (Belcher, Falcon, Lookout, Squaw Pass) to try and guage fitness. For a quickie, I'd sometimes do Rooney lot to the top of Box-o-rocks. I think Bergen Peak is the most entertaining hill to go TT as you have to use some skillz too.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

..ouch
    Personal record of Boulder to the Ned dam in 14m 23s.

(Of course that's in my truck.. but it's still fast)

Let There Be Dirt
    On a good day I can do Falcon ( to the first picnic shelter) in 28 1/2 to 29 1/2 minutes. I'm a slow donkey, not a thoroughbred. In general my race times are 25 to 30% SLOWER than a Pro over the same course. I' ve known a few Expert class guys who can go under 25. Sub 22 for someone like Weins does not suprise me at all.

mtbr member
    i would be curious to see what peoples best times are up the chutes and mt buckhorn.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by xcutterx
    i would be curious to see what peoples best times are up the chutes and mt buckhorn.
    I used to keep track of those two and High->Palmer->Section 16->Intemann's back when I first started riding because it helped me monitor my progression and I sucked so bad on the descents that climbing was all I had going for me. Then I figured out that the descent is the best part of the ride and now I climb those trails trying to conserve as much energy as possible so when it comes time to head downhill I have something left of my legs. Plus, you make a descent just as exhausting as an ascent and it's a lot more fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    Trad 5.11d
    Bouldering V9
    Me too!!!

mtbr member
    Here is a link to local Boulder road and MTB records.
    http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/spe...rbikerides.htm

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc
    Notice the "Fearsome Foursome" item has no associated time entry.. Who would want to do this?
    "Start the clock at the base of Flagstaff, do super Flagstaff, turn down, go to Sunshine end of pavement, turn around, half way down Sunshine go down Poorman road to 4-mile Canyon. Go down 4-mile Canyon to Boulder Canyon, then up Boulder Canyon to Sugarloaf, go to top mailboxes on Sugarloaf, turn down, go up Magnolia, stop the clock at the top of Magnolia."

Old, stale, negative
    V6, 11c, and 38:40 to the bench on Belcher on a SS. That's with 2 stops so my heart didn't jump out of my chest. 1h 31m lap @ the 24 h of Moab SS. The rest listed are so out of my range that I'll just enjoy the banter. Other dudes, this is not stupid, it's winter, give us a break.

Heathen
    Falcon - under an hour if i'm lucky
    Belcher -

Bah..screw it, I'm slow and don't have fatness as an excuse.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My problem with comparing times is not the validity of some comments, it is where did you start and stop the watch. Take Falcon for example, do you start your time at the bathrooms? The gate? The near side of the parking lot? The far side of the parking lot? Did you stop your watch at the near side of the shelter? Three pedal strokes before? The west side of the shelter?

That said Use 2 be Hard's times for categories seem pretty reasonable. I've don Falcon a few times under 30 and ride back of the pack expert. I've started with a person who did a 24, a now retired pro mtn biker who raced along with Weins and JHK in the 90's. I can buy into Weins low 20's, much faster then that I hope they have doping control at the top.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I can make it to the top of Keystone in under 15 minutes

Hairshirt Rider
    Depends on the time of year and who the instigators are for me. I don't often ride directly up the chutes, but it usually takes 17-19 minutes from the lot off of cheyenne. Buckhorn from the start of the single track to the overlook is 13(occasionally) -16 minutes(typically).

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    A quick note on the falcon times there needs to be an * by the times as those were pre sanitization. Falcon was the only one of those that i really timed and tried to better. My best was 32.02 on the geared bike, what three years ago when i used to ride that. Haven't timed on the ss. But think about this Rex Patrick's best was under 31 and that was with one leg!!

that is humbling
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by h00ters
    yay penis envy girl!

Its not dick waving, just interesting. Mellow out and shut it.
    LOL.

mtbr member
    Guys, it winter relax. I just started this thread because I was curious. I'm not the fastest guy in the world, I was just curious to see where my "dick" compared to everybody else. I mountain bike for fun, not to see who gets up the mountain the quickest.

I had no clue people could go that fast up a hill. Low 20's is amazing for Falcon. I always start my timing at the parking lots. This is not an exact science and I don't do to race myself. I have just been playing with my wifes GPS. She uses to train for marathons. I always use real time not ride time.

Erik

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Was he carrying a steak knife and a fork? That guy creeps me out, but he does make me climb a little faster. I think it's the "flight" half of my fight-or-flight instinct kicking in.
    no but he did have a water bottle full of bbq sauce and was wearing a spandex bib

feel the Force
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc
    Bill Hasn't updated that site in a loong time. Plenty of those records have been bested. Super Walker goes under 2 hrs now and a lap of Hall is at 46 min. I know of a few others as well that are now faster than these.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    Falcon: (To hut) slow
    Chinmey Gulch: really really slow (This is the time I'm most proud of, I have never even come close to this again, but I had a guy on a Ellsworth chasing me up the hill that day screaming im gonna get you fatty!)
    Betasso CW I passed out halfway there
    White Ranch to bench (Belcher Hill climb) god can someone kill me

Thanks for that - bad day at work and I really needed a good laugh
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by dmccune
    My problem with comparing times is not the validity of some comments, it is where did you start and stop the watch. Take Falcon for example, do you start your time at the bathrooms? The gate? The near side of the parking lot? The far side of the parking lot? Did you stop your watch at the near side of the shelter? Three pedal strokes before? The west side of the shelter?

That said Use 2 be Hard's times for categories seem pretty reasonable. I've don Falcon a few times under 30 and ride back of the pack expert. I've started with a person who did a 24, a now retired pro mtn biker who raced along with Weins and JHK in the 90's. I can buy into Weins low 20's, much faster then that I hope they have doping control at the top.
    I always use the fence just past the bathrooms to the shelter. When I was a sandbagger in sport, I was hitting 31- 32. I hit a 28 flat last spring and about cried I was so happy....or maybe I was just about to pass out.

My question is where do you start and finish lookout? I assume you start at the big pillars, but where is the finish...the pulloff to buffalo bill, or something before the short flat/downhill stretch?
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The older I get, the faster I used to be.
    WTF

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkMaster
    I can make it to the top of Keystone in under 15 minutes
    Pay attention, Front Range only

Of course this brings up a parallel train of thought, how fast can you shuttle to the top of Apex? Ever seen Snowskilz drive? That guy gets everyone car sick.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I don't log very many times these days but Belcher to the bench on a SS is under 25 minutes or something like that and that includes the time for me to mess up the rock garden and walk EVERY TIME. Haha. One day I will get it going up.

I tend to just use times as a personal benchmark of my fitness but I really don't care to race on trails with other people around lest I be lumped in with those XC weenie geeks. I'm an enduro geek dontchaknow.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    Guys, it winter relax. I just started this thread because I was curious. I'm not the fastest guy in the world, I was just curious to see where my "dick" compared to everybody else.
    I was sorta kidding, but would have made a comment irrespective of gender; mostly because I find internet chest/booby beatin' a little silly. Perhaps I should have said pissing contest so not to offend my buddy h00ters.

mtbr member
    I was sorta kidding, but would have made a comment irrespective of gender; mostly because I find internet chest/booby beatin' a little silly. Perhaps I should have said pissing contest so not to offend my buddy h00ters.

who you trying to kid crazy lady? You know whats a little silly, taking out your Operha issues on a bike forum. Its getting old. NOw shut it.

!Vamos, flaco!
    What are we, roadies?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Stiff yet compliant
    I must say I find it hilarious that h00ters seems to think telling someone to "shut it", on an internet forum, will have the desired effect. He must be new to this.

There is enough good natured misogyny thrown around here that us mens have no place to complain about an occasional "dickwaving" jab.

Edit-back on topic, I never time myself.
    Last edited by Moustache rider; 02-12-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Thread Terrorist
    My best time from house to GCB is 2.5 minutes... making all lights.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    Guys, it winter relax. I just started this thread because I was curious. I'm not the fastest guy in the world, I was just curious to see where my "dick" compared to everybody else. I mountain bike for fun, not to see who gets up the mountain the quickest.
    Erik
    Every year I try to make it to the top of CHimney Gulch from the bottom under 45 minutes. One year I did just that with my 43lb VPFree. A week after that, I took my wife's bike and made it up just under 35.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with weewee waving or boobthumping. I'm going to time myself this year. If I end up getting up Falcon in 35 mins, I'll throw a party. I'll time the others, especially Belcher. I will not time Bergen Peak- that one makes Becher and Falcon seem easy. If I make it up Bergen without dismounting more than 5 times, I'll throw another party.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    I don't log very many times these days but Belcher to the bench on a SS is under 25 minutes or something like that and that includes the time for me to mess up the rock garden and walk EVERY TIME. Haha. One day I will get it going up
    One thing I'd like to know is which bench on Belcher are people measuring to? Seems like (and hopefully for what's left of my ego...) we're mostly using the lower one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    I must say I find it hilarious that h00ters seems to think telling someone to "shut it", on an internet forum, will have the desired effect. He must be new to this.

There is enough good natured misogyny thrown around here that us mens have no place to complain about an occasional "dickwaving" jab.
    It is not occassional so I think you must have missed crazy lady's other yapping Operha show.

Your retarded
    First person to write a script capturing the IP address and user id of each person accessing this page and then doing a comparison for a same IP/different User Id scenario to determine whose alias h00ters is wins.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Can we get a link to a shrink on the Front Range so h00ters can deal with his issues with anger and teh wimiz?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

jeny jo

Hey, Myss A:
    I didn't find the original thread "competitive" in any way at all -- the OP is just excited about riding, interested in seeing how he progresses, and being rather humble and nice about his own times. To me it was a nice enough post and it got ME all excited to time myself on some of those climbs!!! I cannot wait to get my times up all of those hills and more ... does that necessarily mean that I'm out there waving things around or pounding on my chest!?!? I don't think it does ... but that is my opinion;-)

lalalaalaaa.... see you all out on the trails, boiis and gurls.

jj

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Every year I try to make it to the top of CHimney Gulch from the bottom under 45 minutes. One year I did just that with my 43lb VPFree. A week after that, I took my wife's bike and made it up just under 35.
    IE, To me that is really impressive.

I'm sorry if offended a couple of people witj this post, but i enjoy a bit a friendly competition to see where I am at. I started mountain biking full time only 1 1/2 years ago after racing motocross for many years. I feel I'm pretty good at the technical stuff, but still have a way to with my cardio and have been trying to guage my fitness.

Erik

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Bergen

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    Nothing wrong with weewee waving or boobthumping. I'm going to time myself this year. If I end up getting up Falcon in 35 mins, I'll throw a party. I'll time the others, especially Belcher. I will not time Bergen Peak- that one makes Becher and Falcon seem easy. If I make it up Bergen without dismounting more than 5 times, I'll throw another party.

I used to try and ride every obstacle on Bergen clean every time. I have given up on that after falling over 'till I was a soft mushy pulp. and now just time myself from the lot to the very top going around the loop counterclockwise (I don't like climbing too-long) If I have to walk...excuse me...WHEN I have to walk... so be it. The low 50's is the best I've done.

ME POUND CHEST>>>ME MAN!

mtbr member
    Well, he does make a good point. Why was that wimiz getting a bit worked up? Why was this timing thing an issue. I dunno, I think h00ters is okay..says it like it is.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    Well, he does make a good point. Why was that wimiz getting a bit worked up? Why was this timing thing an issue. I dunno, I think h00ters is okay..says it like it is.
    Regardless, the fact that someone needs an alias to speak their mind is pretty weak.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head
    One thing I'd like to know is which bench on Belcher are people measuring to? Seems like (and hopefully for what's left of my ego...) we're mostly using the lower one?
    Yes the first bench is the standard spot. It's another good bit to the top top where you hit upper mustang or can go down to the upper parking lot. That section is a SS killa!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    I did from the gate where gold camp ends for cars, up buckhorn and down to high drive in a hair under 15 last november.
    Whatever hurts you, can only make you stronger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Even if it's "friendly" competition, it's still dick-waving.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    imho.. "friendly" and "dick-waving" should be avoided in the same sentence.

jeny jo
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I don't think it is. The OP doesn't challenge anyone to anything, he's not saying his times are anything but "his times". It's a curiosity post -- it's a community "hey what (and how) is everyone doing" post.... That is my opinion.

If someone CHOOSES to take it on as a challenge, well that is up to that person.

Now, a real dickwaving post would sound like this: "hey, i bet money i could kick your ass up that hill...." or: "alright, who has the FASTEST time up x,y or z hill".... or better yet: "hey, so-and-so, i bet i could beat you up that hill over there ;-)" or maybe like this: "nananananaaaannaaaaaa, i can go THIS FAST up the hiiiillllllll"....

I don't think "friendly competition" qualifies as "dickwaving'.

;-)

I'm crackin' myself up here.

jj

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    imho.. "friendly" and "dick-waving" should be avoided in the same sentence.
    Much in the same way the name "moustache rider" and that gheyass avatar should be avoided in the same profile but maybe thats just me.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Regardless, the fact that someone needs an alias to speak their mind is pretty weak.
    This thread needs an enema.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Dude...
    This is great, I love how these threads turn out..

Pikes Peak, 4 minutes.. Or was it 4 hours? Or 5 hours? **** let me go check my garmin vista HCx gps with Sirf StarIII.. Wait, the battery is dead, damn!

You know you're impressed athillia.. I sure am

trail waggler

You go girl!...

MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Bad Andy
    Oh boo hoo someone wants to compare times and see where they stand - so what?
    I like the post bedell99.
    For the record:
    Mt Falcon - fastest I've timed (maybe faster sometime? dunno) - 33:20
    Bergen (same scenario) - 57:00, or was it 1:03? Can't remember.
    The rest I don't know but I like the thread - there's my d!ck wave.
    Oh yeah - that was when I was young, thought I was fast (but actually wasn't), never raced, but always had an internal competetive drive to stay up with or beat people.
    Downhillers - don't tell me you don't want to be the fastest down the mountain, or freeriders, have the biggest huck, or Nickle, the most insane roller, etc etc etc
    Alrighty then!
    Sorry a little too much IPA tonight, and Jim Beam today!

Stiff yet compliant
    h00ters, I got your PM. I'm sorry but "Moustache Rider" refers to having a moustache and riding a bike. It doesn't mean I offer them.
    Later.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Oh, your talking time.....

Door to door, Ft.Collins/summit Longs Peak, back home sipping beer.

~ 7hrs 30 min.

Bad Andy

~ 7hrs 30 min.
    Holy shnykies (sp?) !!!!!!!!!

Moosehead
    Dayum. I'm normally thrilled to beat 60 minutes to top of chimney, top bench of belcher, top of bergan. Evidently, I'm slow, fat, and not much of a swordsman. After some intense therapy this winter, I'm gonna get to work on the first two shortfalls.

+1 most impressive PR thus far is OBD's long's round trip.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Scooter

~ 7hrs 30 min.
    Back when I had a crotch rocket I'd ride from Longmont up to the trailhead and them jog up to the top via the North Face. Run back and then ride home. It was how I entertained myself in my 20's when I was single.

Let There Be Dirt
    I've kept tabs of my FR climb times for years. Mostly my competition are the times clocked by my younger, faster, thinner, stronger, fitter ( pick all or any combo) self. As I get older ( I get to race with the 50 year olds in 2010) I feel like a dog chasing it's tail, but keeping track of my climb times is FUN for me and a great motivator to get out there and see what I can do without zipping on a number plate.

As far as comparing to others, I have always been curious how fast other people do these climbs and I continue to be fascinated by how fast their times can be. Maybe it's a bad thing but I may push a little harder to catch a rider I see in front of me, but my ego is not bothered at all when I get passed by some man, woman or child when I am redlined on a climb either. It does suck sometimes though to have someones dog running circles around you trying to get you to pet it when you're seeing stars. Good thread. Its cool to see what some kindred spirits are capable of and I hope it can continue with out the personal attacks.

Hairshirt Rider
    I've kept tabs of my FR climb times for years. Mostly my competition are the times clocked by my younger, faster, thinner, stronger, fitter ( pick all or any combo) self.. . . . but keeping track of my climb times is FUN for me.
    So, are you going to unzip (or pull up shirt) for us?

Let There Be Dirt
    ziptie

[QUOTE=Pivvay]I don't log very many times these days but Belcher to the bench on a SS is under 25 minutes or something like that and that includes the time for me to mess up the rock garden and walk EVERY TIME. Haha. One day I will get it going up.
    QUOTE]

Amen to that - my times are even longer because I usually stop to weep in humiliation after the initial rock garden. Great way to start that ride - having your ego get kicked in the balls like that

~ 7hrs 30 min.
    Daaayyyuuuuummmm! I'm not worthy! Most impressive OBD

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchimtb
    I did from the gate where gold camp ends for cars, up buckhorn and down to high drive in a hair under 15 last november.
    30ish is more likely. Do you start from downtown or shuttle?

As a comparison, what do you do going up High Drive backwards from the gate just past Caretaker's house to Captain Jacks trailhead at the top of High Drive?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yeah it takes probably 5-10min just to get to the trailhead from the gate in the lot usually, 15min(a lot more for me) up Buckhorn and another 5 or so to get down to high drive.

BTW, I read the Springs is hosting a natl pro XC event at the Sand Creek course, is that your event?, if so congrats.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Trad 5.11d
    Bouldering V9
    Heh, mine are similar but topping out at V8 for Bouldering. I have to add - Nose in a Day and Yosemite A4 (zenyatta) as well.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    BTW, I read the Springs is hosting a natl pro XC event at the Sand Creek course, is that your event?, if so congrats.
    Thanks. The Bear Creek course is a little short for distance XC, so the national is going to be at another venue. Not sure where Andy is taking it. Somewhere around CS, just not sure where. Possibly Cheyenne Mountain State Park?

We will be hosting 5 of the 7 Sand Creek races on the Bear Creek short course though. 4 Wednesday evening races in the summer and Mothers Day.

Glad to see we have about the same pace up buckhorn. I don't feel so fat and old now.

mtbr member
    I ride the Ginny Trail in Bobcat Ridge outside of Ft. Collins fairly often. My best time is 1:01 and typical time is about 1:05. I ride with the same few guys and we are all pretty equal. As much as we've ridden and seen people we have never passed or been passed going uphill.

So I was curious how long it takes others to make it from parking lot to top of ridge.
    I just got food poisoning. I'm not sure when I'll use it - Steven Wright

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker13
    I ride the Ginny Trail in Bobcat Ridge outside of Ft. Collins fairly often. My best time is 1:01 and typical time is about 1:05. I ride with the same few guys and we are all pretty equal. As much as we've ridden and seen people we have never passed or been passed going uphill.

So I was curious how long it takes others to make it from parking lot to top of ridge.
    Is that to the top of the ridge (with the large sitting log) or down to Mahoney Park? I always end up redoing the tech sections I don't clean the first time so have never tracked my time, but ~60 minutes to the top of the ridge sounds about right for me.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Front Range Times

I have been keeping these for a few years now. Here are mine. Agreed, not a competition here but I'm always curious to see what others do these in. I don't always time, but sometimes it's fun to race yourself. Great post. Thanks.

*Also, keep in mind that some of the trails, most notably Falcon had a major renovation last year cutting a few minutes off instantaniously. I have posted my Falcon time after this trail work was done late last summer.

FALCON - bottom lot start timer at gate straight up to picnic bench/pavillion stop timer - GT Zaskar carbon Pro - 7/11/2008 - 0:29:34

WHITE RANCH - bottom lot start timer at second gate at the beginning of rock garden straight up Belcher to first bench where Mustang comes out stop timer -Felt RXC - 6/28/08 - 0:24:04

CHIMNEY GULCH - from the pillars (on the road) start timer up to the trailhead at that point, up past Lariat Loop at the top, turn left up to nature center at top picnic bench stop timer - 98 GT Zaskar - 6/08/08 - 0:30:08

GREEN MTN RADIO TOWER - bottom lot across C470 bridge up radio tower road to sign - Felt RXC - 11/27/07 - 0:13:11

And for fun, on the road bike...LOOKOUT PILLAR TO POST @ 4.31mi- Giant road bike - 4/13/2008 - 0:21:48

Good stuff. Note also, I'm a HT fanatic. I only own one DS and it's not my favorite. I LOVE to climb and so HT's really fit that style. All are under 25lbs or so. I'm a self-proclaimed weight weenie...or minimalist as I'd like to think. I'd be interested in what the rest of you are riding when you've hit your best times on these climbs.

PS- for those of you who race, these times have me doing top 3 in Sport and 7-10 in Expert at the WP series although I don't race more than a handful of them each year.

I have a bunch of other times...Apex etc., but these are the main one's I've seen others post. Again, great post. Thanks, G
    Last edited by GL1; 02-16-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1
    I have been keeping these for a few years now. Here are mine. Agreed, not a competition here but I'm always curious to see what others do these in. I don't always time, but sometimes it's fun to race yourself. Great post. Thanks.

*Also, keep in mind that some of the trails, most notably Falcon had a major renovation last year cutting a few minutes off instantaniously. I have posted my Falcon time after this trail work was done late last summer.

FALCON - bottom lot start timer at gate straight up to picnic bench/pavillion stop timer - GT Zaskar carbon Pro - 7/11/2008 - 0:29:34

WHITE RANCH - bottom lot start timer at second gate at the beginning of rock garden straight up Belcher to first bench where Mustang comes out stop timer -Felt RXC - 6/28/08 - 0:24:04

CHIMNEY GULCH - from the pillars (on the road) start timer up to the trailhead at that point, up past Lariat Loop at the top, turn left up to nature center at top picnic bench stop timer - 98 GT Zaskar - 6/08/08 - 0:30:08

GREEN MTN RADIO TOWER - bottom lot across C470 bridge up radio tower road to sign - Felt RXC - 11/27/07 - 0:13:11

And for fun, on the road bike...LOOKOUT PILLAR TO POST @ 4.31mi- Giant road bike - 4/13/2008 - 0:21:48

Good stuff. Note also, I'm a HT fanatic. I only own one DS and it's not my favorite. I LOVE to climb and so HT's really fit that style. All are under 25lbs or so. I'm a self-proclaimed weight weenie...or minimalist as I'd like to think. I'd be interested in what the rest of you are riding when you've hit your best times on these climbs.

PS- for those of you who race, these times have me doing top 3 in Sport and 7-10 in Expert at the WP series although I don't race more than a handful of them each year.

I have a bunch of other times...Apex etc., but these are the main one's I've seen others post. Again, great post. Thanks, G
    1-What are other's opinions - I doubt the sanitization cut off more than a minute from the Falcon times?
    2-On your Chimney time, I'm confused - where did you start off road?
    3-21:48 pillar to post is pretty flippin' fast! I may attempt to break 30:00 this year (I'm slow) - only ridden it a handful of times, even though it's 10 minutes away by bike. Have you done any of the races up the climb? I think with that time you would do well.
    4-post the other times!!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Lookout

Quote Originally Posted by GL1
    I

What is the pillar and post? I ride Lookout weekly, but have never quite figured out where to start/stop. I go from the big stone (pillars?) at the bottom to the turnoff to Buffalo Bill. I assume I'm starting time in the right place, but where do you stop the clock?

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    1-What are other's opinions - I doubt the sanitization cut off more than a minute from the Falcon times?
    2-On your Chimney time, I'm confused - where did you start off road?
    3-21:48 pillar to post is pretty flippin' fast! I may attempt to break 30:00 this year (I'm slow) - only ridden it a handful of times, even though it's 10 minutes away by bike. Have you done any of the races up the climb? I think with that time you would do well.
    4-post the other times!!
    As far as the Falcon cleanup, I remember it being pretty decent and dropping a minute or so. A few of my other buddies had similar results after they did that but I don't remember exactly what they did besides cleaning up that top seciton before you go into the trees. I did go to the JCOS meeting shortly after that and they explained it all. Can't remember what all they did now.

I raced the ACA ColoBikeLaw CAT4 Lookout hillclimb last year and I did 22:46 which was a minute off my best time and I was disappointed. Had a bad start, and have terrible pack riding skills...too much MTB. Still fast for me, but even in CAT4 that only netted my 39th. Ouch. Those guys are fast and it's a huge field. I like to think I do well in MTB but again, at the WP series you're only racing guys around your age. I'm 33 so when I get put in with the 20 somethings I feel it. But oh well, racing is to me just to see what I can do and to have fun.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    What is the pillar and post? I ride Lookout weekly, but have never quite figured out where to start/stop. I go from the big stone (pillars?) at the bottom to the turnoff to Buffalo Bill. I assume I'm starting time in the right place, but where do you stop the clock?
    Well, the official "pillar" is the two large pillars at the base right before the first turn. This is where the ACA hillclimb starts too. Start your timer there. Then, as you get up to the top and it levels off, right at 4.3 miles you'll see a sign on your right (striped black and yellow) that's what I learned as the "post".

Now, at the ACA ColoBikeLaw hillclimb last year they had the finish a bit further up than that, around the bend, past the radio towers and yes, right before the turn off to buffalo bill's grave. But again, the way I learned it...and the way my buddies all time it (way more roadie than me...I'm an mtber in offseason disguise), it was right at that sign, 4.3 miles.

BTW, the lookout record is 16:02 pillar to Post by Tom Danielson in 2006 on a windless day with a rolling start. See http://wikimapia.org/3833621/Lookout...ain-Hill-Climb
    or google it. There's tons on it. Now THAT is smokin'.

Also, check out the ACA times from last year. As you'll see, some of the CAT4's were faster than the CAT3's...that's where everyone HAS to start, so there are always a handful in CAT4 that belong in 3 or 1-2. The CAT3's are around 20...right below for podium, and the CAT1-2's are right around 18:00. Check it out here under the 2008 results for the ColoBikeLaw Lookout Hillclimb: http://www.americancycling.org/

-G

Bad Andy
    Gotta love this one:
    http://www.americancycling.org/Resul...spx?RacePK=188
    Check out # 5 - Ned Overend!!
    Amazing - what is the guy - 55? And 25 seconds off the leader - YIKES!!!

Oops - didn't get the link right - here it is for SM PRO 1-2:
    <TABLE id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_gvResults style="COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR style="COLOR: #333333; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f7f6f3"><TD>1</TD><TD>1:53:21</TD><TD>Kevin</TD><TD>Nicol</TD><TD>ExcelSports.com</TD><TD>Lafayette</TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: #284775; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"><TD>2</TD><TD>1:53:21</TD><TD>Ian</TD><TD>MacGregor</TD><TD>Team Type 1</TD><TD>Golden</TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: #333333; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f7f6f3"><TD>3</TD><TD>1:53:26</TD><TD>Peter</TD><TD>Stetina</TD><TD>One-Day License</TD><TD></TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: #284775; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"><TD>4</TD><TD>1:53:39</TD><TD>Glen</TD><TD>Chadwick</TD><TD>One-Day License</TD><TD></TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: #333333; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f7f6f3"><TD>5</TD><TD>1:53:46</TD><TD>Ned</TD><TD>Overend</TD><TD>One-Day License</TD><TD></TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: #284775; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"><TD>6</TD><TD>1:54:01</TD><TD>Rolf</TD><TD>Eisinger</TD><TD></TD><TD>Boulder</TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: #333333; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f7f6f3"><TD>7</TD><TD>1:54:30</TD><TD>Blake</TD><TD>Caldwell</TD><TD>Slipstream/Chipotle p/b H30</TD><TD>Boulder</TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: #284775; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"><TD>8</TD><TD>1:54:39</TD><TD>Nico</TD><TD>Toutenhoofd</TD><TD>Unattached</TD><TD>Boulder</TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: #333333; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f7f6f3"><TD>9</TD><TD>1:57:05</TD><TD>Drew</TD><TD>Miller</TD><TD>Landis Trek</TD><TD>Flagstaff</TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: #284775; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"><TD>10</TD><TD>1:57:25</TD><TD>Lachlan</TD><TD>Morton</TD><TD>Real Aussie Kids Cycling</TD><TD>Littleton</TD><TD>Riders Results</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Edit - BTW - this is for the Mt Evans climb (from Idaho Spgs).
    Last edited by andychrysler; 02-16-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I'm one of those Cat 4 sandbaggers at the Lookout mtn HC. My time was ~20:30 or so and my teammates was ~19:30 or so. We were 10th and 3rd. I just rarely race road bikes so I haven't been able to upgrade. Plus my road bike weighs more than my SS MTB! Haha.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Yeah, to the log. And I hear ya we always seem to re-try that first tech section to clear that last bit. We also seem to stop 1-2 times to re-group. So the 60+ is with all that included.

Since we always ride with the same group of guys I'm never really sure how any of us would fit into another group.....
    I just got food poisoning. I'm not sure when I'll use it - Steven Wright

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    I'm one of those Cat 4 sandbaggers at the Lookout mtn HC. My time was ~20:30 or so and my teammates was ~19:30 or so. We were 10th and 3rd. I just rarely race road bikes so I haven't been able to upgrade. Plus my road bike weighs more than my SS MTB! Haha.
    Oh yeah, and no offense meant on the "sandbagging" comment. I have been accused of that before too. But like you, I don't race but a few times a year. Plus, I totally understand how the CAT 4 thing works and how you have to get a ton of points to move up, so it's expected to have guys like you in there. Also, 20:30 is smokin my friend. PM me if you ever want to ride.

-G

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    No worries I wasn't offended and I'd upgrade if they'd let me. I regularly place top 10 and even top 5 at time trials but only road races and crits count to get out of the 4's apparently. I just don't race those often enough, nor do I have the desire to race more crits. Heck my road bike was built in 1984!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Mt. Falcon :39
    Elk Meadow: to the top of Bergen Peak 1:15

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Oh yeah! The climb up the Sandia Ski area just East of Albuquerque has sign posts every few minutes with Ned Overend's times on it. It was really something to be confronted with just how weak you were every few minutes!! He he...

Andy...

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Pay attention, Front Range only

Of course this brings up a parallel train of thought, how fast can you shuttle to the top of Apex? Ever seen Snowskilz drive? That guy gets everyone car sick.

Yeah, he took lessons from the other Wilson with a big Dodge...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GL1
    I

Hmm, guess my early season ~ 24 min (pillar to turnoff) isn't too bad for a big guy...
    Of course, the real race is door to door - I can make it up and back home in under an hour (50min if the lights cooperate) some days.
    Last edited by dbabuser; 02-18-2009 at 01:39 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

did Mt Falcon tonight

This thread got me curious, so I actualy went out and rode Mt Falcon tonight to see what my time would be. I started at 5:15 and it was pretty cold. My fingers were a bit numb on the uphill and my feet went numb on the downhill. There was ice on my water bottle bite valve when I got to the bottom. To me, this is still ski/snowboard season. There was some ice/snow on the trail, but it didn't cause me to spin out more than about 3 times, no biggie. It was way too cold to be muddy.
    I have never ridden this climb in February before and this was really early in the 'season" and the climb made me feel like I was going to die. My time was not fast compared to others here (32.55). I hope It would improve by summer as opposed to February, but who knows...
    According to the GPS, the length was 2.5 miles with an elevation gain of about 1500, give or take. This was from the fence near parking lot to the shelter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hardtail05; 02-18-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: grammer, etc

mutaullyassuredsuffering
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail05
    This thread got me curious, so I actualy went out and rode Mt Falcon tonight to see what my time would be. I started at 5:15 and it was pretty cold. My fingers were a bit numb on the uphill and my feet went numb on the downhill. There was ice on my water bottle bite valve when I got to the bottom. To me, this is still ski/snowboard season. There was some ice/snow on the trail, but it didn't cause me to spin out more than about 3 times, no biggie. It was way too cold to be muddy.
    I have never ridden this climb in February before and this was really early in the 'season" and the climb made me feel like I was going to die. My time was not fast compared to others here (32.55). I hope It would improve by summer as opposed to February, but who knows...
    According to the GPS, the length was 2.5 miles with an elevation gain of about 1500, give or take. This was from the fence near parking lot to the shelter.
    That's a great time for feb.In a 30 min all out like that, I'm up to 4 min faster in June than now. You have a shot at breaking 30 in season.

I might be able to hit a 30-31 min now, but probably no better until spring or summer.

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    30ish is more likely. Do you start from downtown or shuttle?

As a comparison, what do you do going up High Drive backwards from the gate just past Caretaker's house to Captain Jacks trailhead at the top of High Drive?

Yup just a hair under 14 min at the national camp out here. stratin at the OTC.
    I have a power file from last week that says I did higdrive in 23 min twice from the 4 way. I was doing intervals so I had to conserve a bit for the second. Could probably hit around 20 to 21.
    Whatever hurts you, can only make you stronger

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

How much difference does the bike make?

Just did Falcon in 37:00 on a 2008 Transition Covert with a Lyric 2 Step Air. 34.8 pounds of pure goodness. What do you guys think the difference is in time up Falcon with a bike that is 10 pounds lighter with XC geometry as opposed to my Transition.

Started timer at the fence at the bottom and stopped it at the picnic shelter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 304wheeler
    Just did Falcon in 37:00 on a 2008 Transition Covert with a Lyric 2 Step Air. 34.8 pounds of pure goodness. What do you guys think the difference is in time up Falcon with a bike that is 10 pounds lighter with XC geometry as opposed to my Transition.

Started timer at the fence at the bottom and stopped it at the picnic shelter.
    Stopping at the picnic shelter is cheating. You need to keep going up to the ruins and touch the fence there. When you do that get back to us with that time. BTW, my best time to the fence is...nah, it doesn't matter. Besides, I forgot.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    40 minutes to the fence.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    33:26 For Falcon too shelter and 31:18 for Belcher from second gate to picnic table. 34 pound Covert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0