mtbr member
    Jul 2011

The Perfect Storm

So, evening ride tonight, looking forward to my first ride on my new flats, but I don't have much time, so I hit up apex. Being a good boy, I ride all the trails directionally, and am approaching the top when disaster strikes and I snap my chain (too much power )

Figuring I'll practice for the chinless downhill section of the Trestle Enduro, I throw my mutilated chain in my pack with a smile (I had no extra links or chain tool) and set off down the hill.

Much to my dismay, however, I pinch flat right about where Enchanted joins in. After I throw in the spare tube, I'm running late, and start rolling down the hill again. But blame! Another pinch flat!! I patch this one with my last patch... Until (just my luck) I pinch flat a THIRD time and end up having to walk my chainless flat tired bike most of the way down the trail, late for a date and thoroughly frustrated. Needless to say, I went to my lbs and picked up a tubeless kit and a new chain as soon as I got back.

What was your most disastrous ride?

mtbr member
    That's a real bummer. I hate those type of days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Have to say I've never broken a chain and never flatted. It's true. I would think your ride back down chainless would have been pretty cool without the flat tires.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Have to say I've never broken a chain and never flatted, because I don't ride a bike.
    Fixed that for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly-noon View Post
    (I had no extra links or chain tool)

Needless to say, I went to my lbs and picked up a tubeless kit and a new chain as soon as I got back.
    I hope you got a chain tool and links or a SRAM power link or two, too!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    As a trials cyclist, chain snap is by far one of the most scary moments when it happens. I had my chain snap while I was about to shoot a gap from one monster boulder to another, just as I let go of the brake, kicked the drivetrian- SNAP! My body went foward, the bike did not. Me knee caught the stem and I was thankful I was wearing my knee pads.

I've snapped handlebars, broken cranks, ripped pedals out of cranks, broken spindles, cracked many many frames, taco'd wheels, blown up hubs, and have had staples put in my head, tons of stitches, and my shinns dont even look human. I have tattoos, and some of these tattoos are missing parts from crashing, the wounds going deeper than the ink.

A flat tire aint **** when a Spinergy Xcylone exploded off a small kicker.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I've got an extra chain tool that I found at Deer Creek if you want it...

Goofing off?
    Sucks about the ride. Did you end up getting laid? You made it to the date, right?