Rolling

A Peek at Boulder Trail Damage

From the City of Boulder and Mike Patton presentation.

Talk about gnarly technical. It looks like it's going to be a long time before the open space opens. The season is probably over because it's unlikely any work will be done before the snow hits. The city deems the hillsides as very unsafe at this point.

photo doudydraw_zpsf69ffd77.jpg

photo Foothills_zps3af45534.jpg

The rest are hiking trails but they give a good feeling of the situation

photo shanahan2_zps995c0c90.jpg

photo shanahansfrk_zps8be54305.jpg

photo gregorycanyoneroad_zps25b788df.jpg

photo gregorycanyon_zpsabb11b30.jpg

photo Mcclintlock_zpse3a6c189.jpg

photo oldkiln_zpsfe3187aa.jpg

photo Ampitheater_zps9de68630.jpg

photo Shanahan_zps1a86be79.jpg

photo uppermcclintock_zps420830ce.jpg

photo saddlerock_zpsee6d9675.jpg
    Last edited by lidarman; 09-20-2013 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I hope they don't postpone work until next year.... there's plenty of work that can be done (with plenty of ready and willing volunteers) to get at least a few of the trails open.

ride
    Looks like a lot of evidence against poorly made old school fall line trails when it comes to reconstruction.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

lucky enough
    Are you buddies with Mike? Tell him lots of folks around here have shovels!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Rolling
    The city and county are aware that everyone is chomping at the bit to get out and help. BMA is rallying volunteers but they are in an assessment mode right now.

If you want to watch the presentation and even get more info from the meeting, go here

Regular City Council Meeting - Sep 17th, 2013

Mike's Presentation starts at

2:16:30

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well it's a good thing mountain bikes never got a chance to ruin those hiking trails.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Well it's a good thing mountain bikes never got a chance to ruin those hiking trails.
    No kidding.

Shread Ready
    Wow, that looks really bad! I only recognized Doudy/Foothills trail. How did Heil/Picture Rock and Hall Ranch make out? I've only been out on one trail in the Springs since the flooding. Falcon trail at USAF got washed out by the creek. And I saw the Gold Camp road pictures where it got washed out.

Now older but less slow!
    What would be interesting would be the outcome where the mountain bike trails come out better than the hiking trails because the bike trails (for the most part) have been designed or "improved" to be sustainable.

While I'm not a strong proponent of the taming of trails that BMA has done on the goal of sustainability I am real curious as to if this has given us a better outcome in this disaster. From the photos of Heil Ranch those trails appear to be relatively undamaged.

I hope lots of evidence is collected on the erosion of MTB versus Hiking only trails from this event.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    How did Heil/Picture Rock and Hall Ranch make out?
    The road to the trail head at Heil has been wiped out. Literally doesn't exist in places. However the trail from the photos I've seen (once you get past the bottom part of Wapiti) look to be in good shape.

The issue will be whether the county will allow the trails to open while the trail heads are destroyed.

mtbr member
    Wow!!!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    The city and county are aware that everyone is chomping at the bit to get out and help. BMA is rallying volunteers but they are in an assessment mode right now.

If you want to watch the presentation and even get more info from the meeting, go here

Regular City Council Meeting - Sep 17th, 2013

Mike's Presentation starts at

2:16:30
    About the worst thing you could do is turn loose a bunch of people with tools without a good plan, funding, sufficient crew leaders or vision.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    About the worst thing you could do is turn loose a bunch of people with tools without a good plan, funding, sufficient crew leaders or vision.
    What's the worst? The trails end up like this (after "expert" trail construction) after our next megaflood?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Ride Everything
    My preferred route to work contains several miles of dirt trails, which are all off-limits for the time being. Pics/commentary here:

After The Flood | GRAVELBIKE.com
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    What's the worst? The trails end up like this (after "expert" trail construction) after our next megaflood?
    The worst would be that the trails look like that again after a gentle Fall rain. I think the real question is repair vs. reroute. Can any of those "rivers" be turned back into usable trail....?

Good presentation....but "REAMINS"? =0}

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    What would be interesting would be the outcome where the mountain bike trails come out better than the hiking trails because the bike trails (for the most part) have been designed or "improved" to be sustainable.

While I'm not a strong proponent of the taming of trails that BMA has done on the goal of sustainability I am real curious as to if this has given us a better outcome in this disaster. From the photos of Heil Ranch those trails appear to be relatively undamaged.

I hope lots of evidence is collected on the erosion of MTB versus Hiking only trails from this event.
    While there are variables like soil type, amount and type of use, how regularly maintenance is performed, etc, trails built to "sustainable" standards using cross slope drainage and less steep grades, grade reversals, will always hold up to "normal" precipitation events better than fall line trails or trails with steep grades. Extreme events like this however, are a totally different deal. You have an incredible amount of rain on saturated soil and there's only so much a trail, or a road can handle. There are probably a lot of sections of trails that are wiped out just because they are in an entire area is washed away.

I'd guess there will have to be a lot of reroutes which could be a good thing for some trails not just for sustainability, but quality of experience, but it will take a lot of planning, time and money. Hopefully all the people who are chomping at the bit to jump in immediately will be able to have a little - or a lot - of patience and will pitch in in a coordinated way that makes the best use of their time and results in better trails.

Unfortunately I'd guess (could be wrong through) that the hardest hit counties will have their hands and budgets full just getting basic infrastructure back to standard. Trails and Open Space is probably down the priority list for emergency funding.

lucky enough
    Trails and Open Space is probably down the priority list for emergency funding.
    That's why they should use all the volunteers they can handle. Lots of folks around here have helped with trail building so with a bit of supervision a lot could get done quickly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd guess there will have to be a lot of reroutes which could be a good thing for some trails not just for sustainability, but quality of experience, but it will take a lot of planning, time and money.
    Just curious, but why do you assume lots of re-routes will be needed? All the pictures I've seen (of the damage) have been from hiking-only trails, but from what I've heard trails like Heil and Rabbit Mountain have minimal damage. I think the biggest issue with the mountain bike trails is the actual access to the trailheads... but I could be wrong. Hiking-only trails are built differently than biking trails, since they give no thought to grade, path, or drainage. That could play into "our" favor when it comes time to repair the biking trails, as I don't think they'll need as much work overall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Here's a full gallery from City OSMP. It includes some of the photos in the slideshow above, but also photos of damage to Springbrook and Chapman Drive.

https://bouldercolorado.gov/pages/osmp-flood

Now older but less slow!
    I was about to post the link but Canyonrider beat me

Looking some if the photos I noticed a couple of issues that concern boulder bikers.

Springbrook North Loop - washed away in places.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5343/...654604c136.jpg

Chapman Drive - major damage - rutted gullies and wash outs.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5531/...f9600e2d21.jpg
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5538/...e50a41311f.jpg

Doudy Draw
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3719/...3780ba9778.jpg

White Rocks
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5452/...73dd783fa2.jpg
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2851/...b55ac1429d.jpg

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Hiking-only trails are built differently than biking trails, since they give no thought to grade, path, or drainage.
    That used to be the case but not any longer. The city of Boulder is all about sustainable trails which means paying attention to grade and drainage.