mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Pedals: 647s vs. Acids

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of both and an opinion as to what's better? I have been riding eggbeaters for years and just want something with a platform to it. Not doing any downhill or anything.

Your retarded
    My opinion: I have two pairs of egg beaters and four pairs of SPDs (two pairs being the M545s which are pretty close to what you are asking about). Anything from Crank Bros. doesn't even compare to anything SPD. The predominant differences are that you can actually feel when your cleat is locked in with SPDs, the tension of SPDs is adjustable, and the quality from Shimano is more impressive, especially when comparing Mallets to M545s.

If you're going to a platform-type clipless pedal because you've experienced your foot rolling across the eggbeater when trying to clip in, it's the eggbeater design, not the fact that it's cageless. You could move to a M520 or any other cage-less Shimano variant and never experience that problem. Not sure if that's why you're asking about caged pedals or not, but the day that my foot rolled across the pedal into the front wheel and sent me OTB in the middle of an intersection was the day I removed them from duty forever.

The only reason to ever get any Crank Bros. pedal is if you want to sacrifice functionality entirely for the sake of colors or weight. Crank Bros. specializes in pretty things that don't work. But that's my opinion.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

ride
    Crank Bros offers excellent warranty/customer service. On the other hand, with the Shimano pedals, you probably won't need that
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What about ergonomics/float? As I (rapidly) age, my knees are becoming more of an issue. I've read that the Shimano can be a bit hard on the knees, but I haven't ridden them in several years. I understand Nickle is way too young to have to worry about knee pain...

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by lanruss
    I understand Nickle is way too young to have to worry about knee pain...
    You'd be surprised. My age and knee problems are not mutually exclusive.

I can't comment on the comfort or ergonomics of the two pedals as I've never noticed a difference. On the same token, I fail to see how there would be a significant difference, if any. By my logic, cleat placement on the shoe would have a greater impact on comfort or ergonomics than the pedal itself since the engagement mechanism rotates around the spindle pretty equally in both cases (I assume). An argument could be made for how the pedals release and their effect on the knees, but that would indicate that the pedal with more adjustability would be a better choice, as you could dial down the cleat tension to comply with knee issues. Personally, I run mine just about as tight as they go... maybe that's why I have knee problems.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    This is a popular discussion. I have had 2 pairs of SPD's and will never go back. Both pairs were so so in the beginning, but once they get any amount of dirt(and they collect it easily because of the design), they start to perform very poorly. They're difficult to clip in and clip out. I have Candy SL's and Eggbeater C's, and I love them. Clipping in is extremely easy and solid. When I'm really pulling hard on uphills they stay perfectly straight, where as with my SPD's I felt like they were sliding around. I would just suggest buying whatever you're most interested in from someplace like REI, where you can return them without question if you don't like them. Asking for opinions here will probably just leave you more confused as plenty of people are adamant about both brands.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    By my logic... (?) ...since the engagement mechanism rotates around the spindle pretty equally in both cases (I assume).
    Uhh, ever heard of float? It's the amount of side to side rotational movement the pedal allows before it releases - this is generally what affects knee pain, and gives you a bigger window for cleat angulation...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Uhh, ever heard of float? It's the amount of side to side rotational movement the pedal allows before it releases - this is generally what affects knee pain, and gives you a bigger window for cleat angulation...
    I have and didn't really consider it to be something that could cause knee issues, but I suppose I see how it could. Having the ability to pivot my foot some prior to cleat release hasn't caused my knee any trouble, but that doesn't mean it's universal.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'd go 647. The plastic cage slides off rocks nicely and is easily replaceable. The pedal design is the new generation of spd and is better with clearing mud and snow than the older spds.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

trail waggler

What he said...

Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    I'd go 647. The plastic cage slides off rocks nicely and is easily replaceable. The pedal design is the new generation of spd and is better with clearing mud and snow than the older spds.

I'd still like an aluminum cage, but they are great pedals. I'm on my second pair of 647's, and I cracked one cage after a month, but the other (back foot) lasted 1 1/2 years. As for easy on the joints, the 647's have a release tension adjustment, the CB's and Times don't (unless you want to shave the cleat). 'Nuff said..........

BTW, Dave, have you found a source for replacement cages?
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    I'd still like an aluminum cage, but they are great pedals. I'm on my second pair of 647's, and I cracked one cage after a month, but the other (back foot) lasted 1 1/2 years. As for easy on the joints, the 647's have a release tension adjustment, the CB's and Times don't (unless you want to shave the cleat). 'Nuff said..........

BTW, Dave, have you found a source for replacement cages?
    I'd guess Dave at Redstone can order them, they're not very expensive. I switched to platforms last year, so my 647s have just been sitting there....

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I have and didn't really consider it to be something that could cause knee issues, but I suppose I see how it could. Having the ability to pivot my foot some prior to cleat release hasn't caused my knee any trouble, but that doesn't mean it's universal.
    More float = easier on the knees, b/c it's not pushing your foot into some unnatural position. It's why Speedplays are generally considered the easiest on the knees, as they have no spring tension to impose on your foot position.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!