Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    simple

Peak Cycles broken into and bike stolen

The main glass window of Peak Cycles in Golden, CO was broken this morning and missing was a Specialized Epic Carbon 29er worth nearly $10,000.

Please spread the word that this bike has been stolen and maybe we can catch the $$@#$

$1000 reward I believe from John Polli, the shop owner, who is devastated right now.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    People suck. I was actually looking at that bike on Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    The main glass window of Peak Cycles in Golden, CO was broken this morning and missing was a Specialized Epic Carbon 29er worth nearly $10,000.

Please spread the word that this bike has been stolen and maybe we can catch the $$@#$

$1000 reward I believe from John Polli, the shop owner, who is devastated right now.

The perp knew what he was taking, but 10K for a SpecEd?

Also, downtown Golden and through the front window? No alarm? Condos literally 50ft across the street, in back, hotel on the side. Wow, a whole bunch of flags just got raised in my head. Hope they catch the dope.

Now older but less slow!
    So it was the S-Works then? That's crazy money for a bike.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    An s-works epic w/ 29" wheels is not exactly a bike that blends in. I don't know if it's a $10,000 bike, but it's a very pricey bike. I'll keep a look out for it in classifieds, etc.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I hate to hear that for Peak. They should put a $15k price tag on a beat up old cruiser and they won't have to worry about idiot burglars stealing the $10k Generalized status symbol.

simple
    Yeah it is the S-Works. $9900 retail. Spare us all your opinions of if it worth that much.

Probably stolen by some drunk ****tard. Hopefully it shows up at a pawn shop soon.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Heck no, it's not worth it. A brand new Yamaha YZ450F retails for about $8500.

Of course, if rich guys will buy $10k mountain bikes, then the market has spoken.

mtbr member
    I'm not a specEd fan, but that sucka is 22 lbs! Pretty damn light for a 29er dually.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Big write up in a magazine about this being the most expensive production bike ever. It went on to claim that it was the best mountain bike they have ever reviewed.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr
    Big write up in a magazine about this being the most expensive production bike ever. It went on to claim that it was the best mountain bike they have ever reviewed.
    What shop would even stock that and not do an on order? Even GBS for all their high end stuff, doesn't do that. You have to finance that kind of floor. Inventory financing is not cheap like it used to be in the 80's and early 90's. How many people are walking into peak and walking out with a 10k bike on the same day, that just happens to be the perfect fit for them. There's something fishy here. I see a different story going on, but I guess I don't always look on the bright side of life.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    What shop would even stock that and not do an on order? Even GBS for all their high end stuff, doesn't do that. You have to finance that kind of floor. Inventory financing is not cheap like it used to be in the 80's and early 90's. How many people are walking into peak and walking out with a 10k bike on the same day, that just happens to be the perfect fit for them. There's something fishy here. I see a different story going on, but I guess I don't always look on the bright side of life.
    Its not like road bikes were you have 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, and 58 frames. If you had that on the showroom floor in a medium or large, you probably are going to hit the majority of the market.

Sometimes a bike like that in the window is enough advertising to pay for itself, people don't want to buy it but it draws them into the store and they buy something else. I think its a bit premature to start insinuating that there is something unethical or unlawful that has transpired by the shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Are those aspersions I see you casting, schnauzers?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

simple
    You have to finance that kind of floor.
    Exactly. That is why the shop owner is very pissed.

You probably don't understand Specialized's business policy, especially in regards to S-Works products. I would be happy to explain to you via PM.

The fishiness you smell is something else. Your detective work is lacking but I'll give you credit for thinking outside of the box.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Wait... there's a BOX?!?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Are those aspersions I see you casting, schnauzers?
    Moi? Mais non.

Just saying, if I were an investigator, which I am not, I would be consumed by the brazen robbery. Now, if there was a price tag clearly visible on it and in the window, then it paints a different picture. There is a reason jewelery stores do not put price tags in plain view and clear out their windows after hours.

Like I said, I hope they find the doof who took the bike and make a good example out of whomever they are. It wasn't as cunning and clever as they might believe.

Ok, I have been watching too many of those shows on Tru and those other cop shows all the time channels.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    Exactly. That is why the shop owner is very pissed.

You probably don't understand Specialized's business policy, especially in regards to S-Works products. I would be happy to explain to you via PM.

The fishiness you smell is something else. Your detective work is lacking but I'll give you credit for thinking outside of the box.
    I think I get SpecEd's business policy. Exclusive shops, they help finance the floor, etc. Kind of like a Chevy dealer.

Yes, I would be pissed off if someone stole one of my bikes out of my house. That is why I have insurance, which I am sure they have. Still doesn't make it any better. I am just concerned about the very daring robbery in a relatively crime free area. I have been on Wash in the early AM. It's not a total ghost town.

I am still wondering why there were no alarms. An audible that close to residences would have stirred people up very quickly.

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Wait... there's a BOX?!?
    Yes. It is called mtbr.com/forums it is very small with just enough adequate holes drilled in the sides for breathing. The small space makes for some very pent up users with a false belief that being sarcastic is actually funny.

albeit, I am in this same box.

schnauzers: yes I believe a price tag was on the bike. Not sure about that but if so, I would agree it wasn't a good idea.

mtbr member
    Price tag was definitely on the bike. They had it against the window, along with balance bikes for little kiddos. While my wife was test riding a bike last weekend, I about jumped when I saw the price. And of course, my kids were trying to get behind it to pull out a balance bike, while I tried to prevent them from knocking it over.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Price tag was definitely on the bike. They had it against the window, along with balance bikes for little kiddos. While my wife was test riding a bike last weekend, I about jumped when I saw the price. And of course, my kids were trying to get behind it to pull out a balance bike, while I tried to prevent them from knocking it over.
    You break it, you bought it.

Leaving shiny things in a window with the price on them is NOT a good thing.

Couple more things popped into my head (I love Kava)...

What type of glass was the window? If I recall, it wasn't safety glass. So, what was used to break it and how did they not get hurt?

With three bars within close proximity (one next door), they probably would have not been closed and mopped up until 2:30 - 3 AM. I know few runners who run wash at 5. That leaves about a two hour window of opportunity.

No surveillance cameras? Anywhere? On any building? I thought there was one on the stop light and one outside the hotel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I bet there are cameras now.
    And I hope that the other smaller bike shops around Colorado take note of this incident.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Seems like a very simple crime to me. Even the average meth-head or aspiring Cat 1 cyclist could figure it out.

Park your car a few blocks way.
    Smash window with brick.
    Grab a get-away vehicle of your choice.
    Ride to your car.
    Stuff it in the trunk.
    Home and back in bed by 4:00am.
    On the trail the next day.

Why is this so hard to figure out?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs
    Seems like a very simple crime to me. Even the average meth-head or aspiring Cat 1 cyclist could figure it out.

Park your car a few blocks way.
    Smash window with brick.
    Grab a get-away vehicle of your choice.
    Ride to your car.
    Stuff it in the trunk.
    Home and back in bed by 4:00am.
    Parted out the next day.

Why is this so hard to figure out?
    Fixed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenstein406
    Fixed.
    Do you think the thief is smart enough to part it out?

I hope everyone is watching Craigslist and the local pawn shops.

Your bike sucks
    I, for one, am relieved you guys are on the case.

You break it, you bought it.

Leaving shiny things in a window with the price on them is NOT a good thing.

Couple more things popped into my head (I love Kava)...

What type of glass was the window? If I recall, it wasn't safety glass. So, what was used to break it and how did they not get hurt?

With three bars within close proximity (one next door), they probably would have not been closed and mopped up until 2:30 - 3 AM. I know few runners who run wash at 5. That leaves about a two hour window of opportunity.

No surveillance cameras? Anywhere? On any building? I thought there was one on the stop light and one outside the hotel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast