DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Palmer, Saturday, 12/18/04

Same place & time, 9am. Be my last ride in the 48 for a while. I'll will be doing some riding in 50 over the next coupla' weeks though....

locked - time out
    Damn I hate missing group rides, always feel like I am surely missing out on the best day of riding that has ever been. Unfortunately I am a slave to the (Holiday) grind...

Stupid and Dangerous
    I'm praying it stays warm (ish) and dry in the Boulder area and I won't have to make a 2 hour drive this Saturday. I'm pretty ugly and I need my beauty sleep on Saturdays.

I'm holding out for a Walker or Hall Ranch ride this weekend.

If the weather however doesn't cooperate... I could be visiting the Springs again this weekend.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    I'm praying it stays warm (ish) and dry in the Boulder area and I won't have to make a 2 hour drive this Saturday. I'm pretty ugly and I need my beauty sleep on Saturdays.

I'm holding out for a Walker or Hall Ranch ride this weekend.

If the weather however doesn't cooperate... I could be visiting the Springs again this weekend.
    Probably going to be a miracle for Walker to be dry this weekend. It was still heavily covered with snow last weekend. Maybe Hall, but sounded to me like the loop at Hall was still completely covered.

I just did some lunch laps at Betasso and it was still pretty snow covered and wet. The ground was pretty solid (not rutting up), but I was filthy when I was done.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Same place & time, 9am. Be my last ride in the 48 for a while. I'll will be doing some riding in 50 over the next coupla' weeks though....
    I'm leaning towards riding Palmer Park again this Saturday, but can't get down there from Golden that early, more like 10:00am again.

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Hairshirt Rider
    I'll join you.

I'm sure we can swing back through the lot around 10:00 AM and pick up any stragglers.

mtbr member
    Just might make it for this one...I'll bring the DV Cam and Digi-Cam.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Card Carrying Member
    Maybe I can come up with some kind of braking solution for the rear of my bike and join you guys.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Maybe I can come up with some kind of braking solution for the rear of my bike and join you guys.
    That'd be cool. Maybe I'll be able to get my seatpost unstuck (you'd think I'd know better) and I can try some stuff I passed on last time. I like to get there early if at all possible but it hasn't been crowded at all. If you guys drift in at 10, I'll make sure we loop through the lot at that time.

Now Uploading

Snowed?

Did you guys get snow down there last night?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Did you guys get snow down there last night?
    Yep, 4+ here on the north side, probably 3 over at Palmer. We rode in the canyon yesterday afternoon and it was snowing and awesome! Did section 16(sketchy rocky steep descent) with 3" of snow covering a sheet of ice, I started sliding at one point and got off and took 2 steps and down I went, actually twisted the crap out of my der. hanger WALKING my bike-LOL, thats a first for me. It's a wet snow too and it won't melt today so I imagine Sat. is questionable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

you mean, someone actually uses their rear brake?

dude, i wondered what that other lever was for

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildman
    you mean, someone actually uses their rear brake?
    Well, for hopping around and playing, yeah... I didn't have many problems zipping down Hall in the snow/ice after it busted, so I guess I could do without it for trail use.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Yep, 4+ here on the north side, probably 3 over at Palmer. We rode in the canyon yesterday afternoon and it was snowing and awesome!
    This is a bummer. Can you let us know what trail conditions may be like there as it dries in the next couple/few days?

Yeah, I'm not into this whole rear derailleur destruction thing lately, I killed one last week. And I keep my derailleur hanger straightening tool on top of the toolbox now.

Cheers,

Dave

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    This is a bummer. Can you let us know what trail conditions may be like there as it dries in the next couple/few days?

Yeah, I'm not into this whole rear derailleur destruction thing lately, I killed one last week. And I keep my derailleur hanger straightening tool on top of the toolbox now.

Cheers,

Dave
    Not sure if I'm riding tomm. or not but I will post if I do. It's pretty wet snow so most will melt today/tomm., but I imagine it will be messy there with all the clay. I think Loudpawls lives right there so maybe he can chime in.

Do you use that tool on replaceable hangers? I might need to look at that considering I mangle them all the time.

Now Uploading
    Do you use that tool on replaceable hangers? I might need to look at that considering I mangle them all the time.
    Yeah, it's the Park tool, works well, if a bit finicky to use. I have about a half dozen straightened hangers in my toolbox, they straighten OK, but you know once aluminum is bent much, it is fatigued and softer, easier to bend again. I use them for spares and pack at least one on epics and places like Fruita. If I bend an aluminum hanger a fair amount, I don't reuse it (or I make a single speed dropout out of it). I have completely broken in half hangers that were previously bent and straightened, and that sucks. So I keep new ones around too. Giant's are about $11.00, Cannondale's are about twice as much for whatever reasons.

What we really need is more options to axle mount derailleurs, like the Saint stuff without rapid-rise. Shimano's force-fed rapid-rise/dual-control blows on freeride/DH bikes, and I have switched to SRAM on all my mountain bikes anyway, but let's not get me going on this and start another rant/thread on Shimano's wishfully dictative and integrated plan to screw us all silly, shall we?

I think Ti hangers would be cool, until we just snap them off...

Dave

Hairshirt Rider
    I think Loudpawls lives right there so maybe he can chime in.
    Uh oh, looks like I've got to go riding at lunch tomorrow. I'll report back tomorrow evening

Those things are dainty - can't even handle being pulled into the spokes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Uh oh, looks like I've got to go riding at lunch tomorrow. I'll report back tomorrow evening
    Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Those things are dainty - can't even handle being pulled into the spokes.
    Nope.

Munched up

And my new X.9 rear derailleur came in today. The new kind with the black p-knuckle and silver cage, it's more X.0-like than the previous model. Looking at the pics on the SRAM website, it looks like the old lighterweight X.9 became the new X.7 (now available in black or silver).

Cheers,

Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

sat am weather check

accuweather.com calling for 37 degrees (thats farienheit) for 9 am tomorrow

anyone been there since the snow melted?

Hairshirt Rider
    Just got back from my Friday afternoon recon.

Happy to report the trails are in good shape. I checked all the usually post-thaw sloppy sections of trail. They were either dry or snowpacked.

With the freeze on tonight and colder temps on Saturday, an early ride shouldn't cause any trail damage.

Now Uploading

Palmer Park this Weekend

I'm gonna have to try for Sunday the 19th at 10:00am in the little lot near the stables this weekend, hope the trail conditions are no worse (melt/thaw) Sunday.

Have a good one tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave

Card Carrying Member
    I can do a sunday PP ride if anyone else is interested. I have a time restriction tomorrow and I know better than to try and go down there and get back here on time.

*edit* I should scroll down and read the whole thread before posting... 10 sounds good to me, mtbdirteater, I'll clear it with the boss and post back.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Running late. Will probably not be in the parking lot until 9:30 - 10'ish.

Now Uploading
    I can do a sunday PP ride if anyone else is interested. I have a time restriction tomorrow and I know better than to try and go down there and get back here on time.

*edit* I should scroll down and read the whole thread before posting... 10 sounds good to me, mtbdirteater, I'll clear it with the boss and post back.
    Hey, we'll be there by 10:00am. Gold Explorer, and you know blue AC.

Cheers,

Dave