Palmer Park This Weekend 22nd-23rd

Time and day(s) to be determined...

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater

Dave
    Might want to shoot for Sunday to give it more time to dry. I checked out a couple of spots on my way home last night and there were some surprisingly big puddles and plenty of wet/muddy soil. Still a lot of unmelted snow in the shady spots too.

**No trails were harmed during this recon**

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Might want to shoot for Sunday to give it more time to dry. I checked out a couple of spots on my way home last night and there were some surprisingly big puddles and plenty of wet/muddy soil. Still a lot of unmelted snow in the shady spots too.

**No trails were harmed during this recon**
    Cool. Sunday is the prefered day with everyone here.

Thinking of 10:00am.

Cheers,

Dave

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

I'm in

Cool. Sunday is the prefered day with everyone here.

Thinking of 10:00am.

Cheers,

Dave
    Sunday at 10:00 sounds great. Meet at the bathroom parking lot?

locked - time out
    I don't know Todd, Copper is looking less appealing with each post to this thread...

Sit in traffic for 4 hours or ride Palmer in the sunshine, sit in traffic for 4 hours or.... hmmm.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I don't know Todd, Copper is looking less appealing with each post to this thread...

Sit in traffic for 4 hours or ride Palmer in the sunshine, sit in traffic for 4 hours or.... hmmm.
    Ski Saturday when the snow is better. I'm betting with the warm temps and sunshine, Sunday is going to be icy anyway. At least that is my plan so far....

Hoping to make Palmer on Sunday, have to check with the tower for permission for the fly by...

Cynical Bystander

If you guys go boarding on Saturday we oughta all meet up somewhere. Me and my dad are going up and I think Saturday is the day. Not sure about Copper though....lol

I'm in for the Palmer ride. I'll have lots of bikes to choose from after tomorrow afternoon anyways.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Perpetually single track
    hmm...board all weekend...or ride Palmer....tempting...very tempting. Copper however is not on my list...gonna be an all Vail resorts weekend.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    hmm...board all weekend...or ride Palmer....tempting...very tempting. Copper however is not on my list...gonna be an all Vail resorts weekend.
    Word on the Vail resorts.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    in as a maybe. got to work sunday night.

would be perfect, as i think the new ride will be ready to go by then, if stuff shows up when UPS says it should.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Sunday at 10:00 sounds great. Meet at the bathroom parking lot?
    Uh, I may have to use that outhouse when we get there, so let's say meet within 100 yards of it, eh? Yeah.

Dave

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    in as a maybe. got to work sunday night.

would be perfect, as i think the new ride will be ready to go by then, if stuff shows up when UPS says it should.
    The park would be a great first ride for it! I think I'm going to bring the Bullit this time...

mtbr member
    Ute Valley was a friggin muck fest last night...Palmer is usually much better (especially Edn Mae and Templeton, y ride anywhere else in Palmer?).

I'll be at the crappers at 9am on Saturday for a ride.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    Ute Valley was a friggin muck fest last night...Palmer is usually much better (especially Edn Mae and Templeton, y ride anywhere else in Palmer?).

I'll be at the crappers at 9am on Saturday for a ride.
    Palmer was greasy yesterday, probably be good by Fri., I like to do a lower loop also that includes grandview and down the rocks before the overlook and then back up to kanick kanick(?) and then over to the backside by Austin Bluffs. It's about a 7 mile loop and has 2-3 good techy spots and few drops you can hit. It's also a great loop to combine with Temp. if your legs are feeling good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Palmer was greasy yesterday, probably be good by Fri., I like to do a lower loop also that includes grandview and down the rocks before the overlook and then back up to kanick kanick(?) and then over to the backside by Austin Bluffs. It's about a 7 mile loop and has 2-3 good techy spots and few drops you can hit. It's also a great loop to combine with Temp. if your legs are feeling good.
    Thurs at 4pm:

Palmer point trail: Muddy on the east and west (so much so that I exited and road the dirt road); north is snowy (so if it gets much warmer...) Stables to the residential area was dry as a bone.

The mesa (mesa and yucca) were dry.

Templeton's north and west sides went from dry to ice fair amount. few mudpits. not as bad as :

Grandview - up from the stables is mixture of snow and mud the whole way.

Cheyenne - mud and snow in the shade; dry in the sun (steps down started snowy; as you can guess the grind back up was mucky). Down to the stables lot was a mixed bag as well.

North canon was good (of course).

Didn't get on kinnickinicky cuz it usually is one of the last to dry out (but i'd guess the area (quasi-kinnicknick) above maizeland to be mostly good.

All in all, a disappointing ride considering it was upper 60's today. Palmer point was the only trail I quit riding though I walked a fair amount on other trails. Lots of people plowing through (and around) though. Imagine friday afternoon will get the chuggers out as well. Sunday should be better than today but plan on coming back with some mud on you.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by red_ivan

All in all, a disappointing ride considering it was upper 60's today. Palmer point was the only trail I quit riding though I walked a fair amount on other trails. Lots of people plowing through (and around) though. Imagine friday afternoon will get the chuggers out as well. Sunday should be better than today but plan on coming back with some mud on you.
    Were going try buckhorn and capt jacks today, chutes and columbine were dry yesterday but the lower stuff in stratton area was messy.

On a side note, we were riding up 26th street yesterday and there were a few guys hitting this huge jump below the switchbacks, they would come flying down the hill then hit the dirt ramp and land about 15ft or so above on a hill, probably around a 15ft gap too if I had to guess. It looked huge but they made it look smooth, very cool to watch.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    On a side note, we were riding up 26th street yesterday and there were a few guys hitting this huge jump below the switchbacks, they would come flying down the hill then hit the dirt ramp and land about 15ft or so above on a hill, probably around a 15ft gap too if I had to guess. It looked huge but they made it look smooth, very cool to watch.
    Where is this? Is this anywhere near Palmer? It sounds cool.

mtbr member
    To get to 26th take the CImarron (highway24) exit. Go west on highway 24. First light is 8th street. There will be a light for 26th. Go south.

EDIT: the Cimarron exit is downtown (arguably just south of downtown).

rr
    I don't do PC
    Close to the canyon as your riding over there, have you rode in the canyon?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

recommendation on route for Palmer first timers...

Dave
    A few of us from Denver are coming down on Sunday for a ride at Palmer. Bringing the families so it will be guys in the morning, followed by the girls. Any recommendations on picnic areas at Palmer where we can entertain kids during the rides? Also, what would the recommended route be from this picnic area?

Thanks in advance,

mtbr member
    Over on the South East side of the park at the corner of Maizeland and Academy there is a very large play area for kids...wide open grassy fields, bathrooms, picnic benches and a huge playground. That would probably be the best spot to keep the critters happy.

What time are you hitting Palmer? Are you coming down with Denver BOMB?
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

not coming with Denver BOMB

Over on the South East side of the park at the corner of Maizeland and Academy there is a very large play area for kids...wide open grassy fields, bathrooms, picnic benches and a huge playground. That would probably be the best spot to keep the critters happy.

What time are you hitting Palmer? Are you coming down with Denver BOMB?
    No, we are not coming with BOMB. We have been following the Palmer threads in this forum for quite some time and figured it was time to head down that way and discover it for ourselves. We hope to be riding by 10am and should get to ride for about 3 hours, then it is the ladies turn.

mtbr member
    Awesome...last year some folks from Denver came down and we stomped around Palmer for about 1/2 a day. I'll quote one of the guys "DUDE...this place is like DISNEYLAND!"

What's your riding preference? You can find it all at Palmer!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

a little of everything...

Awesome...last year some folks from Denver came down and we stomped around Palmer for about 1/2 a day. I'll quote one of the guys "DUDE...this place is like DISNEYLAND!"

What's your riding preference? You can find it all at Palmer!
    I like everything from fast, smooth, singletrack to rocky technical sections with "small" drops. By small I mean nothing over 4-5ft. I also like to earn my downhill so I don't mind some good climbing. How much of Palmer can one do in 3 hours? Sounds like one could spend a whole day there.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rideaddict
    I like everything from fast, smooth, singletrack to rocky technical sections with "small" drops. By small I mean nothing over 4-5ft. I also like to earn my downhill so I don't mind some good climbing. How much of Palmer can one do in 3 hours? Sounds like one could spend a whole day there.
    It's all good, so even if you end up exploring, you'll go away happy. I recommend the Templeton trail (the one that rings the mesa on the north end of the park) - lots of good technical bits. If you have a chance, stop in at Teds or Performance and pick up the trail map (both shops are adjacent to the park and easy to get to).

There is one brief section on the Templeton trail that is really, really muddy as well. There is access to the top of the mesa at both ends of this section trail. Head up top and continue in the same direction you were travelling in and you'll hit the connector that will take you back down.

Keep your eyes peeled for mud on the N / NE corner of the park. Where you see mud with deep tire tracks in it, you can usually backtrack and pick up some dirt road or another section of trail that will keep you going in the same direction.

I second the recommendation for the area at Maizeland and Academy - my kids love it.
    Last edited by Loudpawlz; 01-21-2005 at 02:27 PM. Reason: 'cause I can

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast