banned
    Oct 2008

Palmer Park Mtb Race-May 22

The first race this year by Sand Creek Sports in Colorado Springs is the Palmer Park race on Saturday, May 22. This is race #1 in the Ascent Cycling Series and one of the Carmichael Training Systems Summer of Cycling races.

Lap length is a little under 4 miles and has fast and technical sections. More passing sections than the race there last Fall.

Pre-entries are well underway and encocuraged.

The Ascent Cycling Series also races on two Wednesdays, June 2 & 9 and concludes Saturday, June 19. These races are all at Bear Creek Terrace in Colorado Springs.

The Carmichael Training Systems International Classic, the big UCI and Pro XCT race is July 9-11 at Cheyenne Mountain State Park. This is a stage race for all classes/categories.

The Falcon 100 Km-Rocky Mountain Games race is August 1st on the Falcon Trail at the Air Force Academy.

And, for the road riders, the Pro Cycling Colorado Senior Road Championship race is August 15th also at the Air Force Academy.

Web site with all race information is www.sandcreeksports.comwww.sandcreeksports.com

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    If you were contemplating coming down to the 'Springs for the Palmer Park Bike Race (on Saturday) I can tell you for sure that it'll be worth the drive. I just finished setting up the course and this one is not to be missed. The course is a true mtb course with a fair amount of technical skill and endurance required: single track, fire road climbs, gnarly descents & rocks. For the Pro 1 Men we even added some additional technical sections that will definitely showcase their skills. You won't be disappointed.

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    Good race course alot harder than I was expecting and I also thought 1 bottle of liquid
    would be enough, bad idea as I got overheted and really dehydrated almost quit on
    the last lap. I did refill my bottle and came back to life but it was too little too late,
    Still had a good time I think as it all seems a little fuzzy to me because of the heat
    and no water I was mostly on survival mode. Lesson learned hard way.

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    Damn you don't see this everyday at a MTB race. A number of guys in the Pro 1 Mens race actually had to wait about 5 minutes for the bears to wander off.

http://pikespeaksports.us/photo/bear...context=latest

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the great race bena, andy b, and sandcreek volunteers. I raced sport men 40-49 (tough class, dang!), and hung around and watched part of the pro race. I was at the top of the greencrest road climb when that mama walked out of the West most part of the course, perhaps around 2:15pm, about 40 yards from us. JJ and #2 had already come up the course and gone to the next part of the course East.

That bear got back on the course where it decends through the caprock (basically where Kelly Emmett's and other pictures were taken in the gazette). My friend Mickey took off for the start/finish line on a bike to let the course marshall's know, and me and another guy started waving down racers. Once they realized the bear was not just in the area, but was walking down the race course just around the corner from where we waved them down, they got it, and all just hung out a bit - perhaps a 5 or 8 minute delay even. The guy in 3rd came in pretty hot on her and used his brakes pretty hard and backed off before she got too agitated (she did face him and chuffed a bit, then trotted the cubs off as we all backed off). The direction she headed, North and East to where Ultra Rob's pictures are, mean she crossed the course 6 times (!) before heading into the drainage near the greencrest houses mostly East and a bit North.

Again, nice race - thanks for putting it on. Nice course to take into account all levels of ability. At speed it had plenty of challenge to it even for the Sport guys. Sure got hot on the last lap, those cat 1/pros had a ton of heat to deal with (and a bear!).

jon.

Candlestick Maker
    Too cool! Jon, wish I could have whooped you in the 40-49 class, but I still have another 3 days before falling into the overly competitive geezer class. ;-)

I know I've said this before, but, man, I love Palmer Park!
    baker

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sorry to break the news geezer, but your race age is considered 40 - you are in the "depends" class as of jan 1, 2010. I had to write "46" down on the dang form even though I have a few weeks of "mid-forties" left. That hurt. Even scarier, I requested an upgrade to cat 1 that was approved this morning, so I am in serious friggen trouble now.... Oh well, the courses will be empty where I'm at in that crowd!

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by jnordby
    Sorry to break the news geezer, but your race age is considered 40 - you are in the "depends" class as of jan 1, 2010. I had to write "46" down on the dang form even though I have a few weeks of "mid-forties" left. That hurt. Even scarier, I requested an upgrade to cat 1 that was approved this morning, so I am in serious friggen trouble now.... Oh well, the courses will be empty where I'm at in that crowd!
    Awesome, especially for a super geezer!

"depends".......my arse
    baker