Your retarded

Palmer Park After Dark [o]

With the temperature in the teens and flurries still falling, you can't help but question your sanity a little while packing for a night's ride. But there was a new blanket of snow and fresh tracks to be had. Riding Palmer's tech in the cold and dark; it was an irresistible proposition.

Gloves, check. Knee pads (for protection and warmth), check. Amoeba lights in their fully charged awesomeness, check. New toy... yep, can't forget that. It's its maiden voyage after all.

The overhead glow from the light pollution against the clouds was present and strong; adding color to this black and white world. This was going to be a good night to pedal bikes.

Brian waiting for the green light to start this decent.

Mmmm... fresh tracks

The road to the overlook was closed, which meant we were claiming freshies as we crossed from trail to trail.

The only drawback to a good light setup is that it makes you want to try all the crazy things you normally do during the day.

Imposing cliffs. They seem this large during the day or when you're following trail on top.

The ride felt too short considering the perfect light and weather, but dinner was calling and it was time to return.

Colorado Springs at night
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Thread Terrorist
    as long as you had fun, nothing else matters...

thanks for the pics.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Getting Fit
    nice picts

I cant wait to go on a night riding trip, not until I upgrade all my cold weather gear, it was hard to keep my toes and finger tips warm last Saturday at Pueblo with 30 degrees and on the day time.

What you guys recommend for the hands and toes?

Are you guys running studded tires also?

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Digging the wall ride shot.

For hands, down to 30 degrees I wear Pearl Izumi Cyclone Gloves, below 30 I switch to good ol snowboard gloves.

Feet, down to 30 I wear regular shoes and socks(which are always wool even in summer) with Performance Neoprene Shoe covers and below 20 I take off the wool socks and use snowboard socks with the covers.

Getting Fit
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Digging the wall ride shot.

For hands, down to 30 degrees I wear Pearl Izumi Cyclone Gloves, below 30 I switch to good ol snowboard gloves.

Feet, down to 30 I wear regular shoes and socks(which are always wool even in summer) with Performance Neoprene Shoe covers and below 20 I take off the wool socks and use snowboard socks with the covers.

Thanks for your input, I will check them out,

Sometimes is so cold that is hard to enjoy the ride

hehe ...you said "member"
    Nickle - cool pics! Like MGE, dig the wall ride shot and the skyline pano

Amazing how those Amoebas make night riding that much more fun, isn't it?
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Light freak
    Looks like a super fun time was had!!! I am diggin on the wall ride shot also.

Shoulda went faster
    Come on Nickle, no Christmas card shot of you and Kristian?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMTB'r
    What you guys recommend for the hands and toes?

Are you guys running studded tires also?
    On my feet, I run a thin polypro sock (ankle length) under a rag wool sock. I have 5:10s which are pretty warm shoes though. If your shoes have lots of ventilation, you'll need something to keep the wind out. As ghetto as it sounds, my favorite solution to this has always been those blue newspaper bags that the paper comes in. They weigh next to nothing (so you can keep them in your camelbak until you need them), they are windproof, and waterproof. You just need to make sure you've got a layer or two down between them and your skin.

My feet were fine yesterday, but my hands were cold in the fleece gloves I brought. On the road climbs, I had my fingers in the main part of the glove. I bought some pretty nice looking gloves last night at Costco on the way home for $9. I'm looking forward to trying them on really cold days. I also carry latex gloves with me in my first aid kit, and if I ever really get cold, they work very well as a base layer to warm you up.

I don't run studs (on the bike at least)--they are only of value on ice, and wouldn't have helped at all in the slick conditions yesterday. I have a 2.7" up front and a 2.5" in back though which give acceptable traction. Someone beat us to the park yesterday riding a skinny little XC tire--I'm not sure how that person was able to ride on those little things!

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Nickle, I think the color is off in that first shot. The sky should be black and my fleece should be orange--you got them backwards!

Fun times--I can't wait for next time!

mtbr member
    Nickle...that 2nd photo just might make my wallpaper for the day!
    sick photos!

mtbr member
    Great pics!!

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad rdr
    Come on Nickle, no Christmas card shot of you and Kristian?
    Don't make me dig up that picture from Moab with us holding that sandwich so lovingly.

Quote Originally Posted by scar
    I am diggin on the wall ride shot also.
    Thanks, guys. That was the second attempt. It wasn't as high up the wall as the first, but at least I didn't come off the back of the bike on the landing. Here's the first attempt.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Grams Light Bikes
    [QUOTE=Nickle]With the temperature in the teens and flurries still falling, you can't help but question your sanity a little while packing for a night's ride. But there was a new blanket of snow and fresh tracks to be had. Riding Palmer's tech in the cold and dark; it was an irresistible proposition.

Gloves, check. Knee pads (for protection and warmth), check. Amoeba lights in their fully charged awesomeness, check. New toy... yep, can't forget that. It's its maiden voyage after all.

That is a sweet camera! I had pre-ordered mine, it is the perfect size, and takes incredible pictures.

I much prefer Cold and Sunny! Ok, warm and sunny is the best, but I don't like riding in the dark when it is cold. There is no need to check the sanity of you guys...

mtbr member
    Man this is really making me miss the Springs!

Getting Fit
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    On my feet, I run a thin polypro sock (ankle length) under a rag wool sock. I have 5:10s which are pretty warm shoes though. If your shoes have lots of ventilation, you'll need something to keep the wind out. As ghetto as it sounds, my favorite solution to this has always been those blue newspaper bags that the paper comes in. They weigh next to nothing (so you can keep them in your camelbak until you need them), they are windproof, and waterproof. You just need to make sure you've got a layer or two down between them and your skin.

My feet were fine yesterday, but my hands were cold in the fleece gloves I brought. On the road climbs, I had my fingers in the main part of the glove. I bought some pretty nice looking gloves last night at Costco on the way home for $9. I'm looking forward to trying them on really cold days. I also carry latex gloves with me in my first aid kit, and if I ever really get cold, they work very well as a base layer to warm you up.

I don't run studs (on the bike at least)--they are only of value on ice, and wouldn't have helped at all in the slick conditions yesterday. I have a 2.7" up front and a 2.5" in back though which give acceptable traction. Someone beat us to the park yesterday riding a skinny little XC tire--I'm not sure how that person was able to ride on those little things!
    Thanks for the tips for staying warm
    You guys are insane

Candlestick Maker
    Sweet wall shot. I've passed that spot innumerable times and never even thought about trying that!
    baker