mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Paint Shop or DIY ??

So I have a rigid frame 91 Marin with a real funky paint job and was considering repainting it. 1st I was thinking on doing it myself but after repaiting my daughters bike I dont want to go thru that again.

Has anyone sent out their bike to get repainted, how much did you guys pay and where did you send it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakoGT View Post
    So I have a rigid frame 91 Marin with a real funky paint job and was considering repainting it. 1st I was thinking on doing it myself but after repaiting my daughters bike I dont want to go thru that again.

Has anyone sent out their bike to get repainted, how much did you guys pay and where did you send it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Denver Bumper @ 8th and 25 charged me $65 several year ago. I think the price has gone up a bit but quality was great. That was frame only, fork was extra $25ish. Included media blasting and prep.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I repainted a bike simply by sanding the existing paint until it was rough and spray painting it with paint from Lowe's. I didn't use a primer, but I did use a spray can clear coat over the paint. I did a 2 tone baby-blue gloss + dark blue w/ metal flake, and it actually looked really great. I used regular blue masking tape for patter, and the whole thing was pretty easy. It's only going to look great for 3 or 4 years before it starts fading and chipping, unlike a pro job, but you can always just paint it again with whatever color scheme you feel like. I found some decals on eBay to complete the finish. However, if you can get a pro job for $65, that's kinda hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just recently painted my daughters bike and while it wasnt a bad finish at the 1st time she dropped the bike she peeled a piece of paint off it.

I sanded it, primed it, gave it 2 coats of paint and about 3 coats of clear coat. So Im guessing it was just the crappy Home depot paint that couldnt stick correctly.

The 5th knuckle
    If you go to an auto body supply store they will mix whatever color you want and put it in a rattle can. Thinking house of color tangelo with some pearl for the old SS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    I sprayed out an old rockhopper to use as a trailer puller, beer fetcher and sometime commuter. After stripping it down to naked steel (i unearthed some nice fillet brazing while I was at it), priming, painting with some auto paint from Advanced Auto Parts and throwing on a couple coats of satin clear it looked flawless. The key is to let it dry. Really dry. Even after a month, the first trip out with the trailer dinged it down to bare metal. But now ~18 months later, it's as hard as nails...
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Maybe thats what I havent done, let it dry out a bit more. The finish was nice, but the paint does feel fresh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakoGT View Post
    Maybe thats what I havent done, let it dry out a bit more. The finish was nice, but the paint does feel fresh.
    i was still able to make a mark with my thumbnail a couple months after painting...
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

The 5th knuckle
    Some auto paints need to be baked. Leaving it in you car on a hot day will fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.