Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

paging rroeder, (or anyone for that matter)

hey rick, this any good??

classified ad for FXR

mike
    Last edited by wildman; 12-12-2004 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spell check

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by wildman

classified ad for FXR

mike
    that is an amazing freakin deal, i had the same frame and cry everyday bc i sold it. GO FOR IT!

Perpetually single track
    Make sure and get more pics or something else to confirm it's not a scam.....

rr
    I don't do PC

classified ad for FXR

mike
    Yo wildman, if that guy spent $6400 his LBS sure had a smile on their face when he walked out. It looks like an '03 which means the rear end won't accept larger tires, they changed this in '04. I don't know if I would pay that much money for a used(even slightly) bike, it sure has some top notch components though and the Curnutt. That fork is a lightweight cross country fork, it's not a standard beefy DC fork but I've read a lot of great reviews and it works great for trailriding-no FR stuff for sure.

Find out what year it is and ask why it's still in new condition if it is an '03, I think you could get that bike built new for 5k so $3200 is too much IMO. Why not get that El Cham., isn't the frame on sale?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

thanks guys....

i was just kinda probing for your input on the ad. not sure what to do aobut bikes yet, still searching. since i rode your fxr (rick), and seemed to like it (but price was higher than preferred), when i ran across this ad, thought id put it out there for input.

with regard to the cham, first, larry was more than gracious to allow me so much time on the bike adn to even bring it down here to ride palmer too. many thanks larry. but after the time spent on it, im thinking it doesnt pedal and climb as nicely as i think i want (key words "think i want"). im torn. do i give up some trailworthiness and get great FR/almost DH bike (this thing was GREAT on the fast stuff and jumps, etc)?? right now, my answer is NO. i still wanna be able to take a bike around rampart resivour (need a spell check on this site!!) which is 14 miles of easy to moderate single t.

so im thinking im back to the LBS types of bikes (the custom builds are just too hard to come by to get a test ride on, i was fortunate with the cham and larrys help, and you rick wihtthe fxr.) im kinda waiting to see whats coming out for 05 and just hit thte shops again for more bummer parking lot rides. i do think i have a better feel for bikes at this point in the search and a parking lot may be ok.

but, since im used to an ancient XC bike and sitll want the trail worthiness, i think i can go with something more production oriented like the enduro pro and up grade the shok and forks (met a guy yesterday that has one with romic and an oil fork (cant remember wha tthe fork was, but hope to hook up wiht him agin for mor info))

i can handle fast down hill freeride type of runs i think with a little more skill and not have to have a laid back bike to do it, and thus keep the pedaling and climbing traits a more trail type bike would have.

i just couldnt see putting a super long stem on the cham and figureing out some way to get the seat farther fowarrd (as i often felt myself scooting forward while riding that one)

so, thats where im at, waiting to see the 05s adn still accepting input from you all

thanks
    mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

just for fun, here's the reply email i got from the seller

Hell Mike,

It is an incredible trail bike. It can climb and pedal like no other
    long
    travel trail bike. It has no "bob" when the curnutt is set up properly
    and
    its built to last. The bike with the setup it has weighs 28 lbs and you
    can
    make it even lighter using other tires...but it wouldnt be as fun!

The fork is extremely light just 3.5 lbs and it is externally
    adjustable
    from 4 inches to 6 inches of travel, so you can lower the travel for
    the
    climbs and increase it for the downhill.

Best Regards!

my thoughts:

one of you mentioned watch out for a scam. how many of us selling bikes end our eamils with "best regards"? hmmmm.....

and one of you mentioned the fork was not as beefy as it looked. so, nnnnhhh, ill pass for now.

mike

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yeah, thats what I fiqured you would decide on, a good strong trailbike that can climb and pedal well yet still handle light FR stuff. One thing cool about the FXR is you can build it up to do both by switching out forks/wheels and such, very versatile. The enduro sounds like a good option.

Stand back

don't pass b/c of the fork

I'm sure you can get a cheaper bike to do what you're looking to do, but from all reports, the Maverick fork is no slouch, and would not hold the bike back at all. There are a few guys in the Turner forum w/ that fork on their 5 Spots (which I would say is a direct competitor for the FXR) that love them.
    I'd say if the bike was little used (and there are probably a lot of expensive bikes out there not being ridden very much) it's a pretty good deal.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

rick, i wanna ride your bike again please

also, what do you know about hte inferno, from their sites description, sounds like what im looking for too?

mike

rr
    I don't do PC
    dbabuser is right, don't let the fork stop you from buying that FXR, it's an awesome fork and would probably handle the type of riding you will do, it's just not intended for drops/jumps like some on the Palmer thread. I got the impression you would like to do that type of riding with your bike. If it's been lightly ridden than 3k is a fair price and the rear end change is not a big deal, the '03 can still handle 2.2 tires, 3K+ for an '03 thats been ridden for a year is too much though.

The Inferno is butt ugly IMO and is a long travel bike, it would handle drops/jumps but won't climb/pedal as good as the FXR or other 5" bikes in the category, I think you need to stick with something that can climb/pedal good. The enduro is a great buy, you should test ride that bike and yeah you can ride mine again no problem.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    dbabuser is right, don't let the fork stop you from buying that FXR, it's an awesome fork and would probably handle the type of riding you will do, it's just not intended for drops/jumps like some on the Palmer thread. I got the impression you would like to do that type of riding with your bike. If it's been lightly ridden than 3k is a fair price and the rear end change is not a big deal, the '03 can still handle 2.2 tires, 3K+ for an '03 thats been ridden for a year is too much though.

The Inferno is butt ugly IMO and is a long travel bike, it would handle drops/jumps but won't climb/pedal as good as the FXR or other 5" bikes in the category, I think you need to stick with something that can climb/pedal good. The enduro is a great buy, you should test ride that bike and yeah you can ride mine again no problem.
    If you ended up getting that bike and needing a more FR type fork, then you could always sell the Maverick. I'm sure the Mavericks resell quite well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

butt ugly?!?!?

i thought it was kinda cool, but thats just me.

yes i wanna ride like the shots of palmer this sunday, for sure! no problem, just need the right bike (dont think my loaner dakar would hold up too well )

from the description on foes site, the inferno:

"...brings light weight all mountain to a new level. Designed as a light weight long travel bike, the Inferno is NOT a Free-Ride bike. It is a long travel, light weight, single pivot frame designed for those all day rides up and down the mountain. Utilizing the same tubing as the Foes FXR, the Inferno has been built as light as possible while maintaining Foes' outstanding craftsmanship. With a full 7.5" of travel, the Inferno is the bike for those epic rides where comfort is a concern and coming home late is not..."

this sounds exactly like what im looking for. i need to call them. and being a dirt biker, i love the idea of a 7 inch rear! they have the Fly which is designated FR, and the FXR which they're calling trail. so the inferno, in between.... i dunno?

however..."Designed around a 6" Single Crown Fork, NO DUAL CROWNS" has me kinda worried, i like the idea of a DC fork, someday maybe, but not sure

i just thought from that desc, i should try and locate one and test it out. Im still leaning toward the SP rears, the turner 5 spot is not that. but supppoese to be also the type im looking toward too.

input??

as far as the enduro, still waiting to hear from Jason on his "coiled and oiled" pro. and wnat to check out hte 05's.

thanks rick, let's hook up maybe this sunday

anyone interested in gooing to the motorcycle show in denver saturday?? (got 3 including me, so far, but im the only mtb'r)

mike

as far as the classified ad, probably wont do it, just because, well its used, far away and i havnt a clue! but thanks for the input there it all helps. you guys are all right!

rr
    I don't do PC
    No DC fork on the Inferno? thats crazy, I wouldn't buy a long travel frame if it couldn't handle a DC fork. I don't care what Foes says about the Inferno, it won't pedal and climb like an effecient trail bike, but a trail bike won't do 5-6 ft drops either. You gotta decide what you want to do, then pick the bike. I might be headed to the slopes this weekend, only done 1 day this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

ok, ok, now what?

rick, will the fxr do 5-6 foot? im guessing thats the max i want to do on my future "if i had to have only one bike for now" bike.

i remember likeing your fxr, but thought it stiff (but we didnt change much from your settings, and i check in at 180#)

but, yea, i kinda wondered bout the inferno's NO DC FORK thing too. if you look at thier site, the bikes go down the list from DH on down thru the fxr in order, im guessing, of beefiest to more moderate. and the fly, their FR, the inferno, all mtn, and the fxr, trail, one would think that the inferno was more beefy than the fxr (specially withthe mega rear travel) and i question the no DC fork statement as well.)

just hafta call them and see i guess, ill do that soon and let you all know

no hurry on the re-ride, just let me know. did i tell you im owrking full time now? so unless you can do a ute park lunch ride (any day its fairly warm), ill have to get with you on the weekends.

thanks again
    mike

Outcast
    Some shameless spam on my part; Wildman, are you interested in an ASX?

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

rr
    I don't do PC
    rick, will the fxr do 5-6 foot? im guessing thats the max i want to do on my future "if i had to have only one bike for now" bike.
    No, I wouldn't do that big of a drop on the FXR, I don't do big stuff anyway, I did a few 5' drops at Moab one year when a buddy had a Kona stinky(6") with DC fork, but I wouldn't hit those on a trail bike. A lighter more skilled rider could probably hit a drop that big on the FXR but I would break it, or myself There are a few 3-4' drops we hit regularly while riding palmer( a few are shown in the pics), but I mainly just enjoy the technical trail riding at palmer.

Feeding your addiction
    Wildman. Well, if you ruled out the Chamuco because you felt the weight and geometry were holding you back too much on the climbs then you won't like the Inferno either. More travel, similar weight (probably a little heavier), similar headtube angle. I rode one at Interbike and certainly didn't feel like it climbed any better than the Chamuco.

In addition, you're not likely to find much out there that will hold up to 5-6' drops but also climb better than the 6" travel bikes you've already ridden and ruled out. You've mentioned the 5-Spot, that is not intended for 5-6' drops either. The X-5 would fall in between the 5-Spot and Chamuco in terms of strength.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Wildman. Well, if you ruled out the Chamuco because you felt the weight and geometry were holding you back too much on the climbs then you won't like the Inferno either. More travel, similar weight (probably a little heavier), similar headtube angle. I rode one at Interbike and certainly didn't feel like it climbed any better than the Chamuco.

In addition, you're not likely to find much out there that will hold up to 5-6' drops but also climb better than the 6" travel bikes you've already ridden and ruled out. You've mentioned the 5-Spot, that is not intended for 5-6' drops either. The X-5 would fall in between the 5-Spot and Chamuco in terms of strength.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    Yeah wildman, your worse than my wife, make up your mind already ChamucoChamuco

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Doh !

your wife?!?!?

hey now! enuff of that!

Larry, im so glad you are following this. first of all i really did LOVE the chamuco, but i just worry about the trailworthiness of it. if i dont find anything else, then the chamuco it is!

Now, when you or I or anyone talks about 5-6' drops, i am assuming they have some what of a transition. I would like to be able to sail off 3-4 to flat with whatever im buying, but could sacrifice this (and take it easy???, who me??) if it is too much. but i dont want to. remember the origianl goals: ride hard, XXC, and not think about the bike. thats exactly why i like the cham so much. point and clik, i mean shoot.

one comment by someone a while back made sense: "you can always get stronger, the Heckler cant get any beefier".

i like this thought, but wonder how much of me will get stronger, and how much is reality. reality in that, hey, bike x, y or z just doesnt pedal or climb and thats that. no matter how strong i get.

sorry im making you all nuts, but i can assure you, anyone who has helped me with this decision will not get forgotten once im in the game. if youll just bear with me a few more (hours, days, weeks, dare i say months) i will repay you all somehow. just havnt figured out how yet. but i will i promise.

back to your input larry, the x5, the turner, not for me?? the inferno had a great description but i guess its misleading. huh?

rick you say the fxr wont do 3-4 to flat? there were some pretty decent drops in the "palmer pics I, II, and III" postings. thats pretty much what ill be into from time to time, and there were guys on a heckler, an enduro (coil and oil), and even some hard tails (mainiacs!) so what now!

its getting cold and snowy, adn im getting tired. now criterium is saying no 05 enduros till march!!! man!

maybe i should just pitch the old univega, hop on the XR650 and go back to playing the piano. nah, id look really funny in my armor sitting behind the keys.

seriously, thats what this forum is all about, helping out, hooking up nad having fun. so thanks again.

mike

rr
    I don't do PC

rick you say the fxr wont do 3-4 to flat? there were some pretty decent drops in the "palmer pics I, II, and III" postings. thats pretty much what ill be into from time to time, and there were guys on a heckler, an enduro (coil and oil), and even some hard tails (mainiacs!) so what now!

mike
    No, it can handle 3-4' drops, but not 5-6'. Are you talking about doing drops like in picture 1 or 2? The first shot is pretty smooth, you can do that on most bikes but the second shot is a different animal!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

larry....rick...

can the chamuco handle the second pic?

of course i want ot do the stuff in pic one. pic two is def no problem for me, but if it means having a bike that will do it but wont climb or pedal, then im thinking ill have to wait till i can get two bikes. i prefer climbability and trailworthiness,

i can hear you all right now,

"no, wildman, no trailbike that pedals and climbs will do the stuff in the second pic!"

so, where does that leave me?

chamuco, overkill for the first pic, but do-able in the second pic?

or something more moderate that cant do the second pic, but climbs and pedals better than the chamuco.

i dont forsee myself doing second pic stuff on a regular basis, but definitely the first one for sure.

if i had a bike that would do pic 2, id do it! just like having a corvette makes you go 130. why have it if you aint gonna use it. (kinda like the 4x4s and SUV's wiht the grille guards, how many of them actually go off road?!?!) dont get me started

Bodhisattva
    Chamuco can definitely handle picture #2
    Life....the original terminal illness

locked - time out
    Have you considered something along the lines of an AC? (like the one in second pic) I bought that bike specifically because I wanted something that I felt would climb a little better than my old Big Hit - and it does. I have ridden it on rides with substantial climbing involved (+/-1700 vertical) and, while it wasn't as fun to climb on as my old CC hardtail, it wasn't bad at all, I suspect that the tubeless wheelset plays into this though. Additionally, I have no reservations (as far as the bike is concerned) about taking it off of anything I've found so far.

Stand back

how big is that 2nd drop?

"no, wildman, no trailbike that pedals and climbs will do the stuff in the second pic!"
    I haven't done the 2nd drop, not even sure if I saw it when I was down there, but I don't think I could really use my bike (Titus Switchblade) as an excuse not to hit it. Now maybe this is easier for me to say now that my bike is in pieces and I'm couch bound til my new knee agrees to cooperate with the rest of me... But really, if you're not doing those things multiple times on every ride, there are a lot of bikes that would do that just fine occasionally.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I haven't done the 2nd drop, not even sure if I saw it when I was down there, but I don't think I could really use my bike (Titus Switchblade) as an excuse not to hit it. Now maybe this is easier for me to say now that my bike is in pieces and I'm couch bound til my new knee agrees to cooperate with the rest of me... But really, if you're not doing those things multiple times on every ride, there are a lot of bikes that would do that just fine occasionally.
    It's about 6' from the lip straight down - probably right around 7' lip to landing. The drop is right next to another one that appears to be fairly popular - it is a 5' drop with a landing that is shaped like a funnel - near a picnic area / road - Kristian could probably tell you what trail it's off of - the only trails there that I know the names of so far are Templeton and Edna Mae. I think that most bikes would be just fine on it - the thing is, height has little to do with it, it's all a matter of transition and drops to flat are no fun anyhow...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast