mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Our May 22-29 Trip to the Front Range. Trail Conditions?

So I originally posted in January about where to ride in some of the lower elevations. We are staying in Breckenridge for the week. I figured I'd make a new post since the other one is kind of misleading and doesn't have the same questions as I had before.

After my short search for fast, flowy, fun (not so much tech) trails in the FR, about an hour and a half from our spot, this is what I have found out what would be the best riding in that area:

Buffalo Creek
    Walker Ranch
    Heil Valley
    Peak8 (Breck to Frisco)

The real question I have is how the conditions would be.

I've read a couple of posts on here and it SEEMS like everything is going to be okay for at least 2 -3 days of riding next week.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Peaks Trail will NOT be ready.

If I were you I'd just head to Buff Creek. Time and time again. It's closer than the rest and the trail system out there kicks a$$.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The mountains have been getting several late season very wet storms. Last week I believe some parts got up to a foot of fresh snow. I don't think the higher elevations, like Breck will be ridable for sometime.

holding back the darkness
    +1 for Buff Creek probably the best bang for your buck.

Heil, walker might not be worth the trip down on their own, but you could combine heil with picture rock and hall to make things interesting...
    There is really too much great riding on the front range to go into here, your best bet is to just pick a ride a day and go for it. You'll have 20 different opinions on 20 different trails if you put it out here for discussion.
    A secondary consideration might be proximity to alternate activities (especially important if you have a Significant Other to plan for). Chimney Gulch/Apex and White Ranch in Golden are conveniently located near the I70 corridor for easy access and Golden is a fun town to hang out in, drink beers in ect.
    Walker puts you near Boulder for the same,
    Heil/Picture/Hall saddles you up next to Lyons where you will find Oscar Blues, home of Dale's Pale Ale and a Burger that has Beef, Pulled Pork, Bacon, and BBQ sauce.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    awesome, thanks for the heads up guys. the Significant Other rides too, so alternative activities + riding is right up our alley.

Does Buffalo Creek have a generic map? Are the trails well marked that a guide or map isnt needed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespearl
    Does Buffalo Creek have a generic map? Are the trails well marked that a guide or map isnt needed?
    Here's a b/w map.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/publications/buffcrk.pdf

PM me if you want a color version.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.

not actually bad :)
    Def. leave Buff Crk on the list.
    IMHO, Heil and Walker are fun, but not worth the extra time to get there from Breck.
    Replace them with maybe Centennial Cone (out and back from Mayhem lot), and something in Clear Creek if someone can confirm it'll be ready.

Edit - that map will work for BC (no guide needed), just make sure Sandy Wash is involved at some point (preferably on the way back to your car parked at the 543 lot)!
    Old Codger

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    If you do Centennial Cone, be advised they have alternating days for hikers and bikers. That's only on the weekend, so it might not affect you.

Golden Gate Canyon is close to Centennial Cone, so they would be good on the same day. The western side of GGC sounds more to your liking. East side is a little techier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sweet, now I just need to put a loop together and break the bikes down to put on the plane!

Does anyone do weekly rides at any of these places? Here in NJ we have some beginner/intermediate rides that leave when people usually get out of work to give people a tour of the place. Would be cool to tag along on one of those, so we dont get lost

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    A couple of the groups I belong to are doing a ride that Wednesday evening, and there are a few spots left. Pretty technical stuff, though, depending on which trails they take. Not very close to Breck, either.

http://www.meetup.com/Lakewood-Begin...ndar/13315152/

That's near Morrison. You could go hiking at Red Rocks, grab dinner in town, then join the group for a ride. I won't be there, or I'd offer up some tour guidance.

http://www.redrocksonline.com/index.asp

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you are in Breck, Buff creek is about an hour drive. About the same distance to the west is the town of Eagle which has great high desert single track. Buena Vista and the Four Mile Creek area is also about 45 minutes. Mtn biking around Breck is limited right now. The Frisco Penninsula is snow free and the first of the flume trails and south facing lower French Gulch trails are starting to melt out, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So it looks like i cant pack my 29 inch hardtail into a box that is less than 80 inches (as per southwest rules). The girlfriends bike fits below 80, so she is good to go. going to call these shops tomorrow AM:

avalanche sports, full cycle, alpine sports, golden bikes and wilderness sports.

(◣_◢)
    Mar 2010
    Keep us updated with the trails you choose and their conditions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Looks like Heil is closed by Boulder county now so may as well cross that out... Closed due to mud

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    how is the breckenridge to frisco trail? I can almost ride from our place to the start... Is it dry?