mtbr member
    Nov 2004

OT - White Water Rafting - best day trip from Denver

Looking to take my young teens on a first time rafting trip.

Anyone have any experience with the local rafting companies?

I'd like to do a day trip...not sure if the Idaho Springs stuff is good or not, it sure is close.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    1st timers? The stuff in Id Spg would be fun for them.

Stuff in Buena Vista -> Salida is better, but quite a bit further.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    We took my father-in-law and his girlfriend up to Clear Creek (Clear Creek Rafting, Co.) We did the beginner trip and although it could have gone longer (it was around 90 minutes) we had a great time.

Thread Terrorist
    We used Liquid Descent two years back, lots of fun from Idaho Springs.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think these are the guys I would want looking out for me. I love that last line.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15278256

mtbr member
    Pueblo - royal gorge. probably not great for first timers, but maybe their 2nd trip?

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Poudre River, W of Ft. Collins is always an excellent choice.

But in any event, do it very soon, the one month heat wave is really doing a number on the snow melt, and stream levels are going to be falling quickly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Do the Ark as it will be a longer trip. Clear Creek is a narrower and more tech run that what you could get on the Ark. You can get a more mellow trip on sections of the Ark below Salida. Brown's Canyon is OK for beginners and young teens would have no problem with that run. About 11 miles long and they usually throw in some lunch.
    WTF

killin clear creek
    The advanced run on CC is a fun run, less driving & more playing. The ark is a great river, but a bit less tech. CC rafting, AVA, and Liquid Descents are all solid companies up here. On the Ark, Pine creek is a good run, and AVA, Timberline, and River runners are the ones I'd stick with. Like OBD mentioned though... get movin' the water's gonna fall fast now.

Once you've got one of those runs in... come see me on Gore in a month or so... that's where the real fun is for a raft trip!! I'm the guy who gets to run in front of everybody & take pics. Gore is one of a kind around here, nothing locally raft-able even comes close.

If you google gore canyon (images) you get an idea what it's like, about 1/2 of those pics that pop up are mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    While we're on the subject - Anything good around Crested Butte? Will there still be enough water in September?
    (We're beginners, but enthusiastic :-) )

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    The advanced run on CC is a fun run, less driving & more playing. The ark is a great river, but a bit less tech. CC rafting, AVA, and Liquid Descents are all solid companies up here. On the Ark, Pine creek is a good run, and AVA, Timberline, and River runners are the ones I'd stick with. Like OBD mentioned though... get movin' the water's gonna fall fast now.

Once you've got one of those runs in... come see me on Gore in a month or so... that's where the real fun is for a raft trip!! I'm the guy who gets to run in front of everybody & take pics. Gore is one of a kind around here, nothing locally raft-able even comes close.

If you google gore canyon (images) you get an idea what it's like, about 1/2 of those pics that pop up are mine!
    Gore Canyon, Pine Creek? The guy was asking for suggestions for first timers.

On Clear Creek the Lawson to Idaho Springs or Kermits would be appropriate
    On the Ark Browns or the Fractions
    On the Platte is Foxton, but I'm not totally sure they run commercial raft trips through there, it's pretty tight.
    Pumphouse to Statebridge is the beginner section on the Colorado.
    Several beginner sections onthe Poudre

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    I think these are the guys I would want looking out for me. I love that last line.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15278256

Wow, that's like arresting a life guard for saving someone drowning in a pool instead of calling 911 and waiting for the cops and ambulance to arrive. Something tells me the CC deputies were a little miffed that they weren't able to earn themselves a fancy new medal.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilans
    While we're on the subject - Anything good around Crested Butte? Will there still be enough water in September?
    (We're beginners, but enthusiastic :-) )
    Taylor river is dam controlled and usually has water. Class II-III Gunnison through Black Canyon is dam relese, is remote Class V with a tough portage. Not for the faint of heart. Gunny gorge below the Black Canyon is beautiful class III-IV- but requires a mile long slog to the put in.

Slate, East and Oh be Joyful are gnar creeking and wont have water in them in Sept

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    Wow, that's like arresting a life guard for saving someone drowning in a pool instead of calling 911 and waiting for the cops and ambulance to arrive. Something tells me the CC deputies were a little miffed that they weren't able to earn themselves a fancy new medal.
    Being involved with the Rafting companies here... and having friends on the FD around here... there's a LOT more to that situation than what was told to Jason, and a LOT that hasn't been talked about because of the kinds of people involved. The arrest... total ******** imo, but the rest of the situation is much less clear than it appears to be. (but yes, I'd want them looking over me. The owner of AVA saved the life of one of my best friends in gore once, throwing away his boat & paddle voluntarily to save my friend, not a thing to be taken lightly)

ZRM... I said Gore for the 2nd trip!! (see... that's safe...) I actually see 1st timers down there all the time!! (just get in a Timberline or AVA boat (AVOID NOVA & LAKOTA like the plague!!) and you'll be fine!!)
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks.

Any recommended operators?

killin clear creek
    LLans, take a look at mountainbuzz, there's a lot of talk about the taylor & the good companies down there right now due to some land owner issues (****** from Tejas that doesn't want rafts disturbing his fish...) so you could get a good idea of who would treat you right!

I think it's even a sticky in the boaters forum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks backcountry.
    I've found the website and forum, but couldn't find the thread.
    Link maybe? :-)

killin clear creek
    On the Taylor there are only two, 3 rivers & scenic river tours. Not sure who's on the Gunny.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ing-28731.html

Decent river to raft, I won't waste my time kayaking it again... bleh. Too many fishermen.