Yappy little dog!

OT: US Highway 80 or 70

Interesting that I get two sets of directions from my home in NJ to my new home in Denver. One says take Route 80 to CO and then down into Denver on 25 or something like that for a total of 25.3 hours. The other says take Route 70 straight into Denver but at 29.3 hours. Route 70 is less mileage than the route 80 directions but it takes four more hours. I thought both were major highways straight through. Any cross-country travelers want to shed some light? AAA says take route 80.

loco
    My Vote is for I 80
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

mtbr member

I-80

I drive to Southern Ontario from Denver and always take I-80. It is always slow through Chicago and then you have to pay tolls between Chic. and Toledo. I'm not a big fan of toll roads. However, otherwise it is smooth sailing through the rest of Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska. You would want to take I-76 south just west of Ogallala Neb. This is much faster than going to Cheyenne and catching I-25 South. I-76 connects to I-70 just East of the city.

Not sure about I-80 east of Toledo, nor any of the I-70 trip.

mtbr member
    I have done the 70 and 80 way from NY many times and now I only go the 80. Not sure why it is longer going 70 but it is. It's been a long time since I took 70 but I think it is because of the speed limits and traffic is not as bad on 80 other than Chicago.

slow
    Scenery, or what there is of it, is better in Nebraska than in Kansas. There are also some toll roads in Kansas on 70. My vote is I-80.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i agree...i havent made the drive since the speed limits were 55 the whole way....took forever....have a good trip.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

eci
    my vote is i 70. in my travels if you plan it right you can get around every major city on i70 w/o hitting traffic.

also i70 only has 1 toll road and i 80 has 3 or 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't understand AAA...

4 hours difference between 70 & 80?? Doesn't make sense. DC to Denver in 23 hours via I-70. And don't let Sgltrak fool you, once you cross over the Mississippi River, there ain't no scenery until you see the mountains popping up out of the plains. I dare you to count the number of grain elevators you see.

Safe travels and see you in paradise.

frmbp.org - paying it forward
    check out the new Buffalo Creek map at our site