not actually bad :)

OT - Trail running suggestions

I know there are some closet trail runners on here.
    What are your favorite (fairly close - 1.5 hour or so max from Golden) high altitude (9,500' plus) trail runs?
    Anywhere from 3 to 8 miles - preferably loops but out-n-backs OK too.
    I've got a few in mind, but figured actual trail runners would have better suggestions.
    For those that know about my FUBAR ankle - don't worry - it's not for me - but for my daughter. (open to bikes would be good - as I'll hopefully be riding while she's running).
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    I know it's not 9500 feet, but the West Mag system is a lot of fun to trail run - plus you can bike along. There are tons of options for long and short runs with or without a lot of climbing.

Also in that area up past the town of Eldora is access to Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. There is a trailhead at Hessie, and another one higher up called 4th of July. Devil's Thumb, Lost Lake, Woodland Lake, Jasper Lake and King Lake are all viable options - if your daughter is ok with climbing.
    http://www.resourceanalysis.com/indian_peaks.html

If not, how about Diamond Lake from the 4th of July trailhead?
    http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=102

Hope that helps,
    Marcia

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    3 sisters would be ideal, imho, andy. Just like it has many options for bouldering! My sons newest fascination. I actually got him to ride with me up in bc didnt realize there were so many boulders to "play" on. Makes sense since the area is full of em! duh! He kicked my a$$ though! But i wasnt real comfortable with him spotting me!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

killin clear creek
    Silver creek out of Gtown would be a great trail for both running & biking. My wife runs it with friends after school all the time. (actually only about 9k or so?) it's doable as an out & back from gtown, or you could shuttle up or down from Lawson.

The trail that parallels 70 from Loveland Basin to Bakerville (up or down) is a good one for both also.

North empire road (goes north out of empire, then stay left instead of heading toward Bill Moore (sp) lake) is a good out & back, but if you look close on the downhill side of the road about a mile from the end, there is a great singletrack that will bring you down into my back yard (nobody cares, I promise you won't be arrested ) then you can just head back to town.
    I've never seen a vehicle on that road, the 4x4 crew goes the other way.

If you want more elevation gain, there are a ton of others within about 15 min, but for flatter run/bike friendly trails, those are pretty ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    3 sisters would be ideal, imho, andy. Just like it has many options for bouldering! My sons newest fascination. I actually got him to ride with me up in bc didnt realize there were so many boulders to "play" on. Makes sense since the area is full of em! duh! He kicked my a$$ though! But i wasnt real comfortable with him spotting me!
    See tons of trail runners at LOTB.
    Have you seen the new trend in trail running- those Vibram soled toe sock things?
    No padding, basically just protection for the soles of your feet ... looks painful.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Hairshirt Rider
    Probably a little over your 1.5 drive time, but you don't have to hit i-70 which might balance things out. Rampart Reservoir outside of Woodland Park is all over 9k. North Catamount on the shoulder of Pikes Peak highway also has a nice shore line trail that is a couple of hundred feet higher. Both great places to ride your bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The +9,500' criteria makes this harder to find. I agree with most of those stated above - 4th of July to Arapaho Pass is a great run (but no bikes), G-town area, Catamount area, Frisco area.

A more epic (but very runnable) one would be include Longs Peak Trail to Chasm Lake. (No bikes).

Is she training for something specific at high altitude? If so, you can also work in some high-elevation dirt roads to get the altitude, but keep the base training down lower where the trails are better.

Routes that come to mind for that include Chicago Creek basin on the north slope of Mt. Evans, Guanella Pass, 2-track above Alice. I'm thinking relatively close to home and ridable for Dad.

not actually bad :)
    Thanks everyone!
    Keep 'em coming!
    A lot of these have been in my thought process.

Full disclosure - my 15 year old daughter (junior to be at Golden HS) has been doing well in cross country the past 2 years, and is a little obsessed with dropping a ton of time this year and attempting to be one of the best in the state.
    I figured having her add a weekly altitude run in with some of her other training would help.
    I just threw the 9500' out there as a random number.
    She loves to go to the hills, and hike 13ers and 14ers, so sounded like a good number.
    Old Codger

Armchair Sasquatcheror
    Andy,

I've been running Apex quite a bit and with it right in the back yard you can't go wrong. I usually go up to Pick & Sledge and over and down Sluicebox. I hate running but I get a much better workout in a short amount of time than I do on the bike.

Rattlesnake Ridge is another good one that she could do right from the house.

Now the question,"Which shoes and socks are best for trail running Apex?"

What happend to your ankle?
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Full disclosure - my 15 year old daughter (junior to be at Golden HS) has been doing well in cross country the past 2 years, and is a little obsessed with dropping a ton of time this year and attempting to be one of the best in the state.
    I figured having her add a weekly altitude run in with some of her other training would help.
    Andy - As a former HS XC-er and not-so-closet trail runner, I think you're on the right track. Since high school races are 5K (which seems long when you're 15, but it's really a sprint), speed is what will be important in the fall, while a good base is important now. I don't think super-high altitude training does much for 5Ks, but it doesn't hurt either.

Sounds like you're well on this path, but my advice for this summer is to come up with fun and exciting runs to build strength and endurance, have fun, and avoid injury. With that base, she can make the most of speed workouts later, which are much less fun.

Thinking about this, I remember being in the same place 20 friggin years ago!! Time flies.

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    , and hike 13ers and 14ers.
    You could shuttle Mt Evans

feel the Force
    I like to trail run, but hate running anything I typically ride. Wilderness areas are good for trail running, so are 14ers. I say the rockier and steeper the better. Lots of good runs in the Indian Peaks, Mt. Evans, Mt of the Holy Cross, Gore Range wilderness areas etc...
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey