mtbr member
    Mar 2008

OT: South Central Utah

I am wondering if anyone has any familiarty with the roads near the Maze District (Utah). Going on an exploratory/scouting trip in a few and want to try and drive Poison Springs Wash east until I can hook up with a road (Flint Trail?) heading north to Robbers Roost, then on to Lower San Rafael Rd. into town of Green River.

I am familiar with Green River to Robbers Roost, and have maps that indicate the route options I describe, but don't the severity of the 4x4 terrain. I appreciate any input.
    Spiral out, keep going...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Never been to that area. I do know you'll be a million miles from nowhere so go prepared. The roads are sketchy at best, maybe worse this time of the year.

Try asking in the Utah forum.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Thread Terrorist
    I've riden in the Maze district as a guided tour. I am not familiar with Poison Springs road, but do know some of the Flint Trail that goes through the Maze district. Are you wanting to do this as a 4wd or on a bike?

I'm not sure what connects to what, but the Flint Trail in the park isn't bad. From the Hans Flat rd (and Maze park hdq's its call pretty flat (up on the Gordon flats). There is a switch back that gets you down into the area of the Golden Stairs, etc.. That portion requires a smaller wheelbased vehicle (not a 4 door Ford 250).. most vehicles can manage it. The rest of the road out to the Maze overlook and to Teapot Rock are mellow. If wet, this is extremely dangerous, as the lower portions drive over bentonite. Otherwise, the road from teapot rock to Hite is absolutely manageable with any type of 4wd with okay clearance (no subarus). I would guess from the Hans Flats rangers station up north is pretty managable. I don't know that part. I would say that I could drive my Tundra on 99% of the terrain, minus the wet/bentonite crap. The guides had a jacked up Ford 250 extended cab and shortbed. It was built for guiding riders into the Maze specifically (Rim Tours). They did take extra gasoline tanks because the drive from green river/hanksville into the maze and back out required extra gas cans (two). Hope this helps.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks! I am driving (a newer model tundra or maybe a buddy's x-terra). I didn't think about extra gas, I just assumed a full tank in hanksville out to cover my intended route. good idea. My truck has a longish wheelbase, but not extended f-250 long.

I'll have my bike for some of our other spots, but this is just a cruiser exploratory winter trip.
    Spiral out, keep going...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'll second the warning about the sloppy roads out in that direction, and also Blue Hills Road from the Moab airport to Green River. Avoid these areas when wet, because even mud tires don't work on that wet clay. You can't even walk on it on a slope without falling down.

Another cool area over that way is Goblin Valley, and Little Wild Horse Canyon. Further N and W is the 5 Miles of Hell trail.

Rolling
    Vger, make sure you contact the National parks people--they can be really helpful. You might need a permit but if nothing else, they will have all the info you need along with current conditions and issues that might affect your journey.

I have been itching to hit that but It's not a trivial road.
    Last edited by lidarman; 12-27-2011 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    Vger, make sure you contact the National parks people--they can be really helpful. You might need a permit but if nothing else, they will have all the info you need along with current conditions and issues that might affect your journey.

I have been itching to hit that but It's not a trivial road.
    Thanks for the edit, lidarman.
    Last edited by xcguy; 12-28-2011 at 05:50 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've always been under the impression that the maze is pretty much impassable in the winter. I could be wrong about that. I do know that nobody who has experience with the area will go in there when it's wet.
    Last edited by zrm; 12-29-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Thanks for the edit, lidarman.
    LMAO.

Ok....Next time I will not edit. Getit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    LMAO.

Ok....Next time I will not edit. Getit?
    Don't edit on my account, man. Let your new-found curmudgeon self be on display for all to see.