Thread: Ot Ot Ot

how heavy are you ??

Ot Ot Ot

I own a vintage pair of speakers for my home stereo. The 20 year old receiver finally gave up the ghost, invested in a new Yamaha 5.1 DTS receiver. Nice unit, the woofers on the ancient speakers are having no sound. The tweeters are functioning just fine.

I tested another set of speakers, they are sounding just fine. So it is the vintage speakers that are the issue.

It has been ages since I've been involved any kind of HiFi. Is there a fix for this kind of issue? Not interested in any kind of full speaker replacement.
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

Rolling
    Those old rock shox products are marginal at best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Scottay,

It's really going to depend upon the brand of speakers, the availability of replacement parts, and what's actually wrong.

How did the receiver fail? Were you using it at the time? Did you hear it through the speakers? No woofers could be a wiring issue, the speaker's internal crossover, or the woofers themselves. Unless the speakers were overdriven when the receiver failed, it's unlikely that both speakers woofers/crossovers would have died at exactly the same time without some external cause.

It's going to come down to figuring out much you want to spend, and determining if it's worth repairing the speakers or purchasing new ones with your budget. Not knowing the brand, it's going to be entirely up to you, your ear, and your budget.

On the repair side, I've had good luck with ListenUp in Denver and their repair department -- both on a B&W speaker repair, and on a repair of an vintage Perreaux Amp that needed to be recapped (which they were not a dealer for). Look in the phone book also. I've known people to go to National Speaker and Sound. Both will probably charge you a fee to evaluate the speakers, then will quote you a cost to repair them. Maybe the small investment is worth it to figure out what's up if you don't have the means/knowledge to troubleshoot it yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    2nd National Speaker % Sound. If you have no sound from the woofers, it's 1 of 2 things. Both woofer voice coils fried, or both xrossovers fried. If the old amp was indeed bad, when it went it could have taken the crossovers with it when it went.

What tipe of speakers are you talking about?

You can check the woofers by removing them and using a tone generator or CAREFULLY hooking them up to the Yamaha at very low volume. If you get tone/sound, it's the crossover.

Additionally, some old speakers have a fuse in the crossiver or in the back of the speaker, so i'd investigate that too.